PDA

View Full Version : Plans for an A-Frame

Dan McGuire
06-30-2007, 10:24 AM
My dad has a porch swing that my mom picked up a while ago. I would like to build an A-Frame to hang for them in the back yard. I have searched around and saw some pics and I can picture in head what I want to do, but I am looking to see if anyone has built one and give a little guideance or share some demensions to it will be solid and stable. I plan to put it on a concrete pad in the yard where an old shed stood.

Any help would be great

Rob Will
06-30-2007, 3:34 PM
I usually build that sort of thing out of steel pipe......but yeah, I know, it's ugly and wood has the right look and feel.

Having said that, it would seem that treated yellow pine would twist and warp to no end. Perhaps western red cedar or cypress would be better (?).

Just a guess but I think the legs need to be about 3 x 3-1/2" and the top rail needs to be about 3 x 5".

The top of the legs cut at a compound angle with a 1/2" "shelf" for the top rail to sit on. Likewise, the top rail would have a shallow dado at an angle to accept each leg.

The legs would be bolted all the way through with nuts on the opposite side (probably two 1/2" galvanized bolts on each side). Saw off the extra bolt thread and batter the end to keep the nuts from backing off.

The top rail could run long thereby overhanging the legs. This creates a good spot for an interesting angle brace (on the outside). This angle brace might be cut on a bandsaw to have a gentle "curve". Perhaps a 2-1/2" x 3" cross brace between each pair of legs would recieve the top "angle" brace right in the middle. This might be a good place for a through mortise to let water drain out.

Sorry for the long-winded reply. I have absolutely no idea about this stuff.....just trying to avoid outside work.

IT'S HOT !!!!!

Rob

Al Killian
06-30-2007, 10:46 PM
The last one I made was made using 4x4's for the frame and a 6x4 header. Then I used a 2x6 on both sides in the middle of the a-frames to help keep them from spreading.