PDA

View Full Version : Wood-dust allergies?

Rob Wilkins
06-30-2007, 5:09 AM
Just wondering about this - I've been working with ebony and bocote for a little while, but a few days ago when I was done playing, I suddenly developed the itchies from hell. I've had major itchy patches on my neck, back, and other places that I'm sure shouldn't have gotten itchy, and that I'll politely not mention by name. The day after it happened, my face became totally itchy and red, too - it looked like I'd been badly sunburnt.

It's never happened before, and I've ended up with a lot more dust than this on me. I still have the itchy patches, but not as badly as I did when it first happened...

Any experiences? Is this likely to be a one-off thing, or am I going to have to find a way to somehow work with wood while avoiding the dust?

Jude Kingery
06-30-2007, 6:32 AM
Hey Rob, sounds like an allergic reaction to the specific wood dust(s) to me. (no, I'm no doctor) I did have a very similar reaction to Cedar. I'd turned it a few times before, always wear a respirator when sanding, use an on-going runing filter and then dust collector, and I like the looks of Cedar and the lingering aroma in the shop even after running the DC and vacuum and filter and emptying/cleaning all.

But yep, about the 3rd or 4th time I turned Cedar, I got red splotches on my hands, wrists and arms. Some minor skin swelling - like a bunch of mosquito bites, itching. I usually turn bare handed and short sleeved, no clothing near my turnings or chucks, safety, etc. Every once in a blue moon I'll wear a glove for fine sanding and immediate friction polishing/heat protection, but I really watch where my fingers go - so a glove tip's not anywhere near the chuck or wood deficit for a catch and turn those pretty rapidly. Well, I generally make sure my fingers aren't near the chuck jaws obviously anyway, so that probably goes without saying. But that's about the only time I'll wear a glove, friction polishing and higher heat.

Point being, yes. I have had a dermatitis similar to what you describe. I've not experienced it with anything other than Cedar. And pretty much decided I'll have to forgo turning any more Cedar. I enjoy lots of other types of wood species without a problem, so it's ok with me.

Quick PS: don't know it for fact, but have read sometimes a repeated exposure over time one can develop a sensitivity that might not have been experienced before.

If you're ok with Benedryl, some Benedryl cream might help, or pill form may help - again, I'm NOT dispensing medical advice because I'm not qualified to do so. I just know Benedryl helps me with allergic reactions to pollens - and in that one case - to the Cedar dust and reaction on my hands and forearms. Alleviated the itching and the redness went away. So did the Cedar from our shop!!!

Best wishes on it, take care,

Jude

Bob Marino
06-30-2007, 8:49 AM
Rob,

What Jude said is right on. Wear gloves, mask/respirator, goggles and apron. Use good dc - preferably at the source. Wood allergirgic reactions can be serious - very serious, very fast. Be careful.

Bob

Mike Cutler
06-30-2007, 9:13 AM
Rob.

I'm going to list the ebony as the likely suspect. Ebony can cause a poison ivy like reaction depending on a person's susceptability.
I've been working with macassar ebony for the last few weeks, and it is a little itchy, sorta like fiberglass insulation for me. Soap and water takes care of it for me, but it sounds like you may a bit more sensetive.

I can't work with mahogany. It makes the front of my face numb, like a novacaine shot.

Pat Germain
06-30-2007, 9:21 AM
I can't work with mahogany. It makes the front of my face numb, like a novacaine shot.

One could possibly use this to his advantage. ;)

Morton Heller
06-30-2007, 9:43 AM
I get a nasty dermatitis reaction to poplar - from just handling it. Some wood finishes do this to me as well.
If you get poison ivy-like blisters in reaction to a wood, then you need something better than an over-the-counter medication. Triamcinilone cream works.

Raymond Stanley
06-30-2007, 9:58 AM
I've heard reports of getting sensitized by one wood, and then the sensitivity spreading to other woods. Take a look at this post for some info on that:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=43871&highlight=wood+sensitizer
So, all the more reason to nip it in the bud.
Good Luck!
Ray

Dave MacArthur
06-30-2007, 12:38 PM
http://www.organicjewelry.com/woodhazards.html

Rob Wilkins
07-01-2007, 4:27 PM
Thanks for this - I guess I need to lay off the Ebony at least for a bit, until I have some better protective gear to keep it off my skin, and maybe altogether. And thanks for the links, too - looks like a definite reason to stop this from getting worse. I don't want to end up unable to work at all... :-/

I'm going to give that cream a try, I think. I tried hydrocortisone, which sort of helped, but not for very long - maybe this'll work better.

Howard Acheson
07-01-2007, 5:13 PM
Roy, let me suggest you go to an allergist of dermatoligist for a definative diagnosis and recommendation. Lots of woods are sensitisers. While a sensitivity to one wood will sometimes spread to other woods, it is not always the case. However, you have had a reaction, it will never get better. Once sensitized, you will always get a reaction and it will generally get worse each time you get it.

A doctor can recommend the proper safety devices so you can continue to enjoy your hobby.