PDA

View Full Version : Shot at a few bowling pins today...

Mitchell Andrus
06-29-2007, 8:52 PM
... and hit 'em.

...Had to get out of the shop today. I took my 16 yo son to a shooting range in the Poconos. (PA), about 1.25 hrs away. He'd never shot anything, and I haven't shot since I was 9.

We fired off about 120 rounds each with 15 different handguns and rifles, ending up with some skeet (I hit 11 out of 15). We fired everything from a 22 rifle (mid-60's Boy Scout Special) all the way up to an Uzi, AK-47, 38 Special.

The 44 Magnum (Make my day) was cool. Can you say 'kick"? Though you could...

You hook up with an "instructor", pick out a gun and shoot 5 to 8 rounds, pick out another... for two and a half hours.

At 70 yards I hit a shotgun shell (small target) 4 out of 5 times with a .308 sniper rifle with a really great scope. WOW, with a tripod mount, I could barely miss. I was surprised at how easy that was.

Lots of fun. We had a real father/son BLAST!!! <get it?>

Doyle Alley
06-29-2007, 9:25 PM
I know the feeling. Watch out - it can get addicting. I like the idea of a place where newbies can try out several different weapons with an instructor. If more people went to places like you did maybe they would learn that firearms are not evil. They are simply tools just like any other tools.

Jim Becker
06-29-2007, 9:42 PM
What town was the range in, Mitchell? I'm originally from Wayne County in NE PA. (Just curious)

Mitchell Andrus
06-30-2007, 7:00 PM
http://sunsethill.slvrcreek.com/home.htm

Off 80 near Tannersville. Cool place.

nic obie
06-30-2007, 7:48 PM
What town was the range in, Mitchell? I'm originally from Wayne County in NE PA. (Just curious)

gee,

I hope you don't turn them in :p

Mitchell Andrus
07-01-2007, 9:36 AM
Nic, the range has been there for 80+ years and given the noise, it's not much of a secret. The local police use it.

Gary Keedwell
07-01-2007, 10:06 AM
Well, you never know when the "Politically Correct" crowd will rear it's ugly head. Twenty years ago, I would have laughed if you said that smoking cigarettes in a barroom would be against the law. I said that the patrons of those establishments would not let that happen.
Now the "politically correct" NY Times crowd are going after the
" fast food" industry. Years from now you might get some kind of penalty if your caught with a hamburger. Maybe a $500 fine for hamburger....$750 for a Whopper. And french fries could fill the coffers with a $300 fine. lol
After they have "wiped out" all our smoking and eating pleasures, they will be after the alcohol drinkers. Prohibition will rear it's ugly head again. It will rise like a modern day phoenix. Maybe they will ration us one bottle of wine a week. But of course it will have to be imported "french wine" and it will have to be accompanied by the proper cheese. ( hint: not American)
After they get bored and have eliminated all the food and drink that they have determined taboo, they will turn their attention on the the gun owners.
You will see a campaigne like you have never seen before. The "drive by media" will pull no stops in their fever to take your guns away. And there will be no way to stop them because they already eliminated "talk radio."
Well, I gotta go to church now.......wait a minute.....have they eliminated g-- yet?

Gary K.

Joe Chritz
07-01-2007, 12:59 PM
Sounds like a great day. The day before I spent a few hundred rounds myself. P226 sig .40 and a RRA AR15.

Only I got supplied ammo and paid to be there.

Lots of day aren't so good but the range days are cool. :D

Bowling pins are a blast. I switched to knock down steel targets and they are just as much fun. The tree targets where you shoot against someone to flip all the plates is a riot. Not to mention a huge ammo dump.

Joe

Al Willits
07-05-2007, 1:59 PM
Shot Bullseye for many years along with trap and hunting, gave up hunting, trap and Bullseye, and went to action shooting, almost to much fun imho

Beasty and I shoot Bowling pin, Steel Plate, and action pistol quite a lot, took a year off to play with wood, ...er....lumber... but expect to get a few times in yet this year.

If ya like shooting, it can be a enjoyable afternoon.

Al

Bruce Page
07-05-2007, 2:32 PM
Sounds like a great time Mitchell!

Jonathon Spafford
07-05-2007, 3:06 PM
Way to go! Shooting is so much fun! I haven't shot rifles for a long time... when I go, I usually shoot pistols! But it can be very addicting!

James Carmichael
07-09-2007, 7:19 PM
Cool, I haven't popped any caps in years and my reloading equipment sits in storage. Used to burn 100+ centerfire pistol and/or shotshells per week.

No excuse, either as there's a trap & skeet club 5-minutes from my house.

Rick Gibson
07-09-2007, 7:38 PM
Sounds like a fun time was had by all. I used to shoot bullseye on Wed. nights. The wife and I went out for fun on Friday nights and every second Sat. we would shoot pins. Had to give it up when after 3 hrs of shooting on Wed. night I could hardly move on Thursday. Couple bad disks really mess up some of the fun in life.