PDA

View Full Version : Newbie introduction

David Jarrell
01-14-2004, 2:05 PM
Hi all,
This is my first post here; I just wanted to say a friendly hello to everyone. I'm still a relatively new woodworker (less than a year) and am still putting my shop together. I hope to learn much here and, perhaps someday, contribute a bit as well. I've read many of the threads and can tell that there are many talented woodworkers here.

I work in the telecom industry. Hobbies other than woodworking include amateur radio, antique cars, boy scouting, and computers. My wife and I live on the sunny gulf coast near Mobile, Alabama.

So...."hello"!

Regards,
David

Lars Thomas
01-14-2004, 2:13 PM
Hello and Welcome. I trust you'll find this to be a friendly, knowledgeable group.

Ted Shrader
01-14-2004, 2:14 PM
Hello David

Welcome to the Creek. Nice to e-meet you. Pull up a stump and dangle your feet for a while. It is a nice place to hang out, exchange information and get to know some pretty good folks.

Welcome,
Ted

Dick Parr
01-14-2004, 2:18 PM
Welcome David

John Miliunas
01-14-2004, 3:11 PM
Oh no...Not *another* "David"! :rolleyes: Hey, seriously, a hearty "Welcome" to you from all of us at SMC! Lots of us "newbies" out here, so you're not alone! Lots of talent and skills to help guide out here. Stop back often! :cool:

Jim Becker
01-14-2004, 3:44 PM
Oh no...Not *another* "David"!

I was going to say, Oh no...Not *another* telcom person! :D

Welcome aboard, David!! Despite the humor, this is a nice place to visit and participate. And we like pictures. :)

Ron McNeil
01-14-2004, 3:57 PM
David, Saw Mill Creek is a great place to spend time whenever you have time. The members here are talented, friendly, and down right knowledgeable. Welcome to the creek.

Kevin Beck
01-14-2004, 4:07 PM
Welcome to the creek. I'm from Pensacola originally and spent 8+ years working in Mobile and living on the Eastern Shore (Daphne, Spanish Fort).

Again, a warm welcome, enjoy yourself and learn, I know I certainly am.

Kevin

Tom Hintz
01-14-2004, 4:15 PM
David,
Welcome to the hobby.
You will find that this forum and others like it are valuable resources that can help you learn and save money as you progress, something one of us ever stop doing really.
Have fun, be safe and ask questions! You have lots of experinece here to draw from!

Tony Falotico
01-14-2004, 4:34 PM
Welcome David, hope you have a long and enjoyable experience at the Creek. The members are a wonderful group of people who openly share their knowledge, experiences, boo-boo's and personal lives.

Dennis Peacock
01-14-2004, 4:40 PM
Welcome David..!!!!!!!

I lived in Alabama for 35 years and have been to Mobile a few times.

Welcome to the Creek.!! Grab a pole, wet a hook and snag all the learning you can. Share what you know and practice all you learn. Let us know how we can help you grow as a woodworker.

Carl Eyman
01-14-2004, 4:47 PM
Hello David! We welcome another Ham operator. An amazing number of woodworkers are hams. Maybe friendly people gravitate to the two hobbies. I've spent many enjoyable hours sailing the waters around your neck of the woods. Pirate's Cove on Ro9bert's Bayou near Perdito Bay was always a favorite spot. I wonder if it has rotted away from neglect yet. Again, Welcome

Ken Salisbury
01-14-2004, 5:15 PM
Welcome - jump in, the water's fine !!

Ron Jones near Indy
01-14-2004, 6:48 PM
Welcome to the Creek! Like others have said, we are a friendly group with knowledge to share and gain. You will like it here, I'm sure. :D

Todd Burch
01-14-2004, 7:48 PM
Welcome David! Don't be shy, post as much as you want!

Ted Calver
01-14-2004, 9:17 PM
David, Glad you chose to share with us. There ain't a better Creek around!!

David Klug
01-15-2004, 12:11 AM
Welcome David, hang around here and you'll learn alot about woodworking. A great bunch of guys.

DK

Jason Tuinstra
01-15-2004, 12:19 AM
David, welcome. Most of them have said it so I'll only add my $.02 of emphasis, this is a great place. Be sure to use the archives and glean whatever you can. There's a lot of talent represented here. Glad you joined. Jason

Mark Singer
01-15-2004, 12:36 AM
Glad your joining us David...Great guys and great fun!
mark

David Jarrell
01-15-2004, 10:51 AM
Thanks for all the kind words, everyone. Glad to meet yall.

Regarding projects, I have completed a workbench for my shop but no real "house" projects....yet. My NYW router table is nearing completion:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/djarrell08060936/nywtable-progress01.jpg

My wife and I are currently working on the renovation of our den, so the router table project has been put on hold. We should be done soon.

2003 was the year of shop building. After I figured out that I wanted to get into the hobby, I went on the wildest shopping spree ever. I have a 225 sq ft shop (teeny by most standards, but I sqeeze it all in). I run a Grizzly TS and jointer and a DW733 planer. I have the Harbor Freight 2hp model with 6" SDR ducting for my DC setup. The router table will get a PC 7518 mounted in a Jess-Em Mast-R-Lift.

I also spent a gazillion dollars on the cabinet master clamps last year during their incredible sale. If you've ever heard of the Jorgie Notification Network or the tooldeals@coollist.com mailing lists, I run both of those.

So far, all of this is to LOML's chagrin; she hasn't really seen anything for "her" come out of the shop. I hope to rectify this soon (perhaps something for v-day).

My goals as a woodworker for 2004 include:
- improve my finishing skills
- learn hand plane/scraper basics
- build various jigs (TS crosscut sled, miter sled, etc)
- build things to appease LOML

I'm afraid I don't have much advice regarding woodworking to share, but I do know computers. I'll be on the lookout for such questions and will do my best to help out; just want to contribute back a bit.

Regards,
David