PDA

View Full Version : Epilog Warranty??

Nigel Morgan
06-29-2007, 6:36 PM
I use my laser to assist me in the manufacture of souvenirs here in New Zealand, when I first got the laser I was still working full time as the season was at its end and business very quiet, during the winter I pop across and work in Australia on short term contracts, was there for about 4 months last year. In between I try to make a little stock, faults with my laser were being reported back to Epilog, have had to replace, 2 belts, 2 mirrors, 2 lenses, X motor, complete I beam, re-align the X and Y, the list can continue. The laser has only worked for about 6 months and therefore in my opinion the tube should be fixed at the cost of Epilog, I have a large portfolio building about Epilog lasers and problems that people are contacting me with, there are 3 owners here who want to change over to ULS.

Nigel Morgan
06-29-2007, 7:33 PM
have removed links

Nancy Laird
06-29-2007, 7:36 PM
Nigel, you may get in trouble posting links to other forums. I think that's against the TOS.

Nancy

Stephen Beckham
06-30-2007, 2:33 PM
Nigel,

How secure is your system when shipping it back and forth? Is it possible some of the damage is coming from transport handling? Are you transporting or do you have handlers? Do you still have the packing "inserts" to hold the pieces in place while transporting?

I installed my Mini 24 in a small transit bus for etching on the go. I've taken many steps to ensure that I'm not causing damage driving the bus 60 MPH down the road. If you are not personally handling the laser - you never know how many bumps it may be getting from the locals...

Steve

Nigel Morgan
06-30-2007, 6:14 PM
Hi Stephen,

The Laser stays here on hold, I go across and do some "on site machining" at the power stations over there. My business is seasonal here, hence the laser has only done about 6 months work.

Cheers

Nigel

Stephen Beckham
07-01-2007, 12:10 PM
Okay - just thought I'd ask. The only problems I've encountered with my Epilog is the X belt starting to fray (apparently a big problem with other owners) and the humidity.

I have learned of another issue with Epilog and X-axis belts. Apparently some engineer thought it would cute or a better design to put a different tooth count on the different 24" (Helix Vs Mini) models. 2nd hand conversation, but my understanding is that even though they are the same length, if the wrong one is installed, it will through off your calibration (duh) with no other symptoms. That throws into replacement of X-axis motor and a lot of other items to never fix the original problem.

I hate to hear you're having the problems you're having. Being a Laser-Bum for years (military guy finding different laser owners at different bases to 'borrow' laser minutes) I've seen a couple ULS models and Epilog models. After going back and forth - it was a no-brainer for me when it was time to buy for my personal use.

Living in Kentucky close to a FORD plant, I've learned a new term for Lemons. It's the 'Friday Evening Ford,' nothing more than an excuse to say the last one rushed out on Friday evening is the random Lemon that some poor sucker gets off the lot brand new. I know it doesn't help your feelings much, but I'd offer that you most likely got the 'Friday Evening Epilog.'

Good luck with your future trials to get your system up to 100%.

Nigel Morgan
07-01-2007, 7:07 PM
Hi Steve,

The belt on the new I beam is showing signs of rubbing/fraying and its only been on 2 weeks.

Cheers

Nigel

Rob Bosworth
07-02-2007, 11:35 AM
Nigel, the belt should not be fraying after two weeks. I would guess you have a belt alignment problem. If you look down and follwo the path of the belt, does the belt travel down the middle of each drive pulley and each idler? If the belt is fraying say on the back side of the belt, the side towards the rear of the machine, I would guess your belt is running against the back collar of either the drive pulley or the idler pulley. If you tighten the tensioner on that side, it will make the belt run down the middle of the pulleys. If the drive belt is running down the center of each piece that it touches, then you have a screw or something sticking out that is touching the edge of the belt. The belts used on these machines should not fray quickly. Make it run down the center of what it is supposed to be running on. As you tighten one side of a belt, or loosen the other side, the belt should finally move into position. Adjust one side, then move the carriage back and forth to see where the belt is running. Keep adjusting it until the belt is running true.

Nigel Morgan
07-03-2007, 5:47 PM
Hi Rob,

Looks like I have that Friday Laser from Epilog.

Cheers

Nigel