PDA

View Full Version : Termite tool from woodcraft

Bill O'Conner
06-29-2007, 6:20 AM
I was looking at this tool and was wondering if it would be worth the money?

Thanks
Bill

Phillip H Smith
06-29-2007, 6:48 AM
I've not used this tool, myself. But I do have a video from the fellow who runs "NewWoodworker.com" showing him using it on a bowl. From the video, the tool looked like it worked fine. But as to how it compares with a gouge and scraper, I can't say due to lack of direct comparison.

Robert McGowen
06-29-2007, 10:06 AM
Hi,

I have one of the termite tools. I have used it several times with good results. It works best in end-grain, so depending on what you are turning, it might be the best tool for the job or totally useless. I found it's best use for me was when turning the inside of goblets or small boxes. Drill a hole to the depth that you want and then pull the tool from the middle to the outside edge, using the hole you drilled as a starting point. If you hold the tool correctly, it is almost impossible to get it to catch. (almost...:D ) I purchased mine off of Amazon for a good price with free shipping. Hope this helps.

Robert

Bob Hamilton
06-29-2007, 10:55 AM
I have a Termite and it does produce a very nice shearing cut in end grain. That said, I can't say that I use it very much since I can get results almost as good and much faster using a very sharp spindle gouge or detail gouge. You do need a router to sharpen it. Oneway does not recommend using a drill press.

Good luck!
Bob

Gordon Seto
06-29-2007, 11:57 AM
You may want to look into Hunter tools or Terminator; both use carbide round disks. Less learning curve, you have to try hard to get a catch. The shear scraping produces good results on end grain. With round carbide disk, they stay sharp; you rotate the disk when it is dull or use diamond hone. They also provide a jig for you to hold the disk for touching up. I don't own Termite, I have seen the ring snapped off during a big catch.

I forgot (?) where I saw it, J Lucas has posted some side by side photos of the results from Termite ring tool, hook tool, Hunter and gouge. The Hunter type tool has the cleanest cut. I personally has not used the Hunter tool. I have used the Terminator, I think the Terminator has beefier shaft that allows a greater reach without chatter. But if all you want is to do are small boxes, then the advantage becomes disadvantage.

I prefer using the ball end mill or gouge to do the bulk of the hollowing, and save the carbide cutter for finishing cut. The home made ball end mill tool is cheap, very effective and catch proof.

Gordon

BTW, don't post a link to remind me where I saw those photos. It will be deleted. LOL!

John Gornall
06-29-2007, 12:11 PM
First go with the termite this week. Chucked a block of dry white oak from the scrap bin about 3 inches square - drilled a 1 inch hole into end grain about 3 in deep with a sawtooth bit - reread the Termite instructions and cupped out a goblet shape. Following the instructions I found the cut easy and I was surprised at the smoothness - very little sanding needed. I got a better finish from this tool than any other I have used - not that I'm an experienced turner - still learning a number of tools, but this one was a short learning curve for me.

John Shuk
06-29-2007, 12:38 PM
The Termite is an excellent tool. I love mine more each time I use it. You don't need a router table to sharpen it just a router works fine. I never felt that there was much of a learning curve with it at all. And I usually find a learning where there is none.
The interior finish it leaves is very nice. It removes stock quickly and efficiently. I have nothing but good things to say about mine.
Oneway has a real knack for getting things right and they did it here as well.

Kim Ford
06-29-2007, 1:35 PM
Just to chime in, I use mine and as stated they work very well on end grain. Oneway did a good job. Sharpening is no big trick either.