PDA

View Full Version : "Weekend Doin's"

Karl Laustrup
06-29-2007, 5:34 AM
Friday, June 29th, 2007

Good Morning!!! Yes this is early, even for me. Didn't sleep well last night, so here I am sitting at the 'puter.

It has been dry up this way. We are going on 14 days with out precipitation. Next best chance is Wednesday. For most of that time it's been hot and humid. I've been dragging the hose and sprinkler all over the yard trying to keep enough moisture on the grass to keep it from burning up altogether. Of course our friends in central Texas are wondering if it'll ever stop raining.

We have a wedding reception tonight. Not sure what's going on Saturday yet. Maybe I can clean [Al?] and get some stuff put away in the shop, so I can see the top of the bench. Sunday will probably include a round of golf in the afternoon, with LOML, and hopefully some of the race from NH.

So what are you up to this weekend? Hopefully, it will be pleasent and productive. Enjoy. And be SAFE!!

Karl

Tyler Howell
06-29-2007, 7:25 AM
Hey Karl,
Headed north for the weekend, then a quick trip to MI for a small family reunion. Got a punch list for the shop and house.
Play Safe.
TJH

Matt Meiser
06-29-2007, 7:38 AM
Planning to take off a little early today to get started on the bathroom cabinets.

Grant Davis
06-29-2007, 7:49 AM
This is my first weekend with no children and nothing else planned. I am going to take Monday and Tuesday off for vacation before the holiday on Wednesday. 5 days of nothing but shop time.

Grady Cowardin
06-29-2007, 9:51 AM
Its not too wet here, I know Dallas area is getting pounded. Always humid here by the bay and gulf, so can't escape that. I am hoping to avoid cutting the lawn and complete my fence to enclose my a/c unit. The supports are all done and toe boards on. Was going to run some quick vertical pickets but did some research and thinking on the airflow needed. Going to cut a bajillion triangles out of corral board to mount the pickets horizontally on an angle like a louver. Top will have the same so the air should sweep in from the sides nicely and out the top all the while shading the whole thing. I might even get a little crazy and rig up a string or two of perforated water hose and a water timer to mist the unit :D Poor thing runs way too often. Its not cabinetry but its good practice! May also work on my router table after cleaning up the work bench as well. That thing is a tool magnet I swear.

Nancy Laird
06-29-2007, 10:23 AM
Have to work today, darn it!!! Boss is getting ready to leave tomorrow for his FIVE-WEEK VACATION :( , so I have to stave off the last-minute panic attacks that he always has. Laser shop time this weekend, with five orders pending, then clean up the woodshop, start gathering stuff and packing for the AWFS. Leaving town on the 9th for combo AWFS/vacation time. Going to be gone from home for 3 weeks, but I'll still be here via my NEW laptop (minor gloat). Sunday? Gonna spend some family time and try to stay away from both shops and relax.

Have a great weekend, everyone.

Nancy

Jim Becker
06-29-2007, 11:52 AM
One day in the shop; the other day taking the girls to NYC to see the sights including the Statue of Liberty and Times Square.

Dave Sinkus
06-29-2007, 12:12 PM
Thanks for posting weekly and wondering what we are all up to.

Me, I'm doing more finishing work on rough cedar (painting trim on the house) and Cabot water based stain application on the recently power washed cedar deck. I report that as woodworking so it sounds like I'm getting shop time instead of just home improvement work.

Also, I received the box with my 3 Stanley planes from Rich Niemiec (thanks for the great packaging job, Rich :) ) and I am going to start working out a sharpening technique for plane blades. Sunday, I'm going to start on my grandfather's Sargeant 409, which needs to be ground first, and then start playing with my new Stanley's....yippee :D

All, enjoy your weekend and have a safe and happy Independence Day !

Jim Myers
06-29-2007, 12:18 PM
First time posting on the "weekend" post.

I have to climb up into the attic and run wires for a light over the Washer and Dryer because the LOML "Cant see into the washing machine"

Also have to run wire for low voltage lighting out front through the attic.

Hopefully when all that is done i will have time to start laying out a cutting diagram for the picture frames she asked me to do as well. Should be nice and simple just flat mitre joints and a rabbit. The problem is I want to capture as much of the figure I can get out of the Ambrosia Maple board I got from Woodcraft.

And of course after all of that I probably will not get to work on anything of mine but such is life. It could be worse and I could be single.

Al Willits
06-29-2007, 12:46 PM
Can't help ya Karl, I've taken Monday though Wednesday off also, so I have a big weekend planed....least that's what Beasty says.

Golf Sat and Sunday mornings, then off sat afternoon to look for my retirement boat and then try to install the brick molding I picked up this morning b4 work, Sunday afternoon is grilling ribs and trying to get some more finish on the never ending storage cabinet project, then ribs by the fire that evening, maybe a few smores too.

Monday I'll probably finally get around to summerizing the boat I have and work on the cabinet some more, hoping to get it done this next week...finally.
Also we're off again to look for lighter white oak than what we bought for the kitchen cabinets, so hopefully it'll be a tour of the local lumber yards and who knows what else will follow us home.. :)

Then I'll start on the kitchen cabinets and hopefully the beatings will finally stop..

Ya all have a safe and well holiday

Al

James Phillips
06-29-2007, 12:52 PM
I will be hanging some trim in the house while wishing I was in the shop

Dennis Peacock
06-29-2007, 1:29 PM
Howdy Karl,

This weekend will be filled with the day job (as usual) and bass playing at church on Sunday. I've also been asked to play bass on a new song in a local studio to lay down a bass track for the song. I'll be doing this Sunday afternoon at the studio. This will be my first time in a recording studio since 1974!!!

Family time Sunday night and back in the shop working on that kitchen table project on Monday. It's getting closer all the time to being done and then I get to start the LOML's new kitchen pantry project. :D

I also have to build a "hope chest" for the LOML Jr and I need to have it done by the end of July for her. It will be a LATE birthday present for her as her birthday is 4 July. :D

Have a SAFE and Happy 4th of July weekend!!!!

Ron Hedrick
06-29-2007, 2:07 PM
Hopefully going to get a lot of shop time. May even get to make my first ever cut with my new bandsaw! Hope to finish my Marzluf inspired Crosscut sled.