PDA

View Full Version : Shuffleboard Refinishing

Korey Yama
06-29-2007, 1:21 AM
I've used many types of oil and water based poly finishes, so I was going to do the same on a maple playing surface of an old 1948 shuffleboard. Then I got to thinking of using a gym floor type of finish. Self leveling will be an important part of this job and I would prefer the oil base with maple. The durability i would assume would be higher than a normal floor poly. There will be some very minor spots (dents from pucks) where the old laquer will likely remain. The surface is 21' long and about 20" wide

Anyone have any recommendations or advice would be great.
Brands, sanding, drying application, I'll take whatever i can get.

Thanks!

Howard Acheson
06-29-2007, 12:09 PM
Waterlox Original Gloss used to be named "Gym Floor Finish" as that was it designed purpose. It's a phenolic resin/tung oil varnish and has high durability and resistance to abrasion.

But, let me warn you that any oil based varnish or poly varnish requires 3-4 weeks to fully cure and develop its full hardness and abrasion resistance. Don't rush it.

Korey Yama
06-30-2007, 11:05 AM
Thanks,

I was reading on a Mcloskey product (gymseal), which has been dicontinued, but is still available if you can find it. They say 14 days.

I read another product (Dura-Seal) which stated to wet sand with #2 steel wool, that scared me a little, I just imagine little pieces of steel wool in my project everywhere.