PDA

View Full Version : CD burner

Bart Leetch
01-14-2004, 12:47 PM
I just noticed the short-cut on my desktop for my CD burner says I can burn both CDs & DVDs. Does this mean I can view DVDs on it too? Ya I've had it since June & never used it. But I use my 750 Mega bite zip all the time.

Glenn Clabo
01-14-2004, 1:57 PM
I think if you can burn em you can read em. Stick on eand see Bart. It should start by itself.

Mike Evertsen
01-14-2004, 4:00 PM
read the book,,on mine I have to install or ativate the software to watch DVD's havn't done it why watch them on the 15" screen when I can watch them on a 42",,,,,,

Jim Becker
01-14-2004, 5:45 PM
Bart, the software may support DVD, but unless your drive is also DVD capable, you cannot use it for those disks. This is a hardware issue...DVD is "different" than CDROM in many respects.

Don Abele
01-14-2004, 5:59 PM
Bart, if you can tell me the make/model of the unit I could help you a lot better. If it is in fact a DVD burner, most of them are also DVD readers. The software may also be generically listing itself as CD or DVD burner because the software can support either. The question is, can your drive? As I said, make and model would help there.

Be well,

Doc

Bart Leetch
01-14-2004, 8:02 PM
Bart, if you can tell me the make/model of the unit I could help you a lot better. If it is in fact a DVD burner, most of them are also DVD readers. The software may also be generically listing itself as CD or DVD burner because the software can support either. The question is, can your drive? As I said, make and model would help there.

Be well,

Doc

Here it is Don, thanks

Samsung CD-R/RW SW-248F according to E drive properties.

The reason I ask this is I want to be able to view the DVD fror the GRR-Ripper but if I can't view it there is no need to purchase it.

Don Abele
01-14-2004, 8:27 PM
Bart, I searched for your model and found it. Even read the user manual. This is a CD-R/RW burner only. The Samsung SW-248fea can read and burn to DVD's. Your model does not. Sorry.

As a side note, DVD players, both for computers and home use can be had for as little as $50 now. You just need to look around for them.

Be well,

Doc

Jim Becker
01-14-2004, 8:28 PM
Samsung CD-R/RW SW-248F according to E drive properties.

I don't believe that is a DVD compatible drive since it doesn't reference it in the description. As an exampe, the same properties/hardware description in my work ThinkPig says, "Toshiba DVD ROM" and it will play back DVD in addition to CDROM material.