PDA

View Full Version : Little Table Is Complete

Dick Parr
01-14-2004, 12:43 PM
Well, I got my little table done. I needed it for my latest tool that I’m not sure I want to put into the same category as my shop tools. :( I still haven’t figured out if I passed or failed my sleep study test when I went in. I think this is one I wanted to fail, but didn’t. :confused: I found out I stop breathing during my sleep along with sawing a large pile of logs. So I get to use a Bi-Level (VPAP) machine with a heated humidifier every night when I go to sleep. I tried the CPAP machine a couple of years ago, but could not tolerate it and stopped using it after 3 months. They have new masks now that make it much easier to tolerate. So far I only wake up once or twice a night because of the moisture collecting in the low spot of the hose. That is why I wanted a table that I could move around and level out the hose. The night stand next to the bed was to close. Oh ya, the wife likes it because there is no more snoring. She says it’s the quietest the house has been in 20 years. :p

The top is cherry and walnut and the legs are mahogany. It is finished off with 6 coats of semi gloss sanded between coats. I wanted to make sure there was a good solid finish since there will me moisture in the machine and sooner or later on the table.

Well, thanks for looking

Dick Parr
01-14-2004, 12:47 PM
I didn't cancel the last post before it took it without the picktures.

Here they are.

Jim Hill 2
01-14-2004, 12:59 PM
It's a beautiful table! If you don't mind, how did you attach the legs to the top? Also is the panel on the top plywood or solid wood? If it's solid wood how will you deal with expansion? I have a lot to learn in this area and appreciate your beautiful work!

Jim

Dave Richards
01-14-2004, 1:06 PM
Nice table. You did a good job.

As to the BiPAP, ask about getting a water trap to put in the hose so you don't have to wake up in the middle of the night and empty it. The rain-out is normal but a water trap should be included in the circuit.

Be careful with the latches that close the water chamber. They break fairly easily and at this point the manufacturer doesn't sell replacements.

Dick Parr
01-14-2004, 1:25 PM
Jim,

The top is a solid wood. I attached the legs to a frame and then used some small blocks to attach the frame to the bottom. This will allow the movement of the wood.

Dave,

Thanks, I will get with the med. supplier today. Isn’t it nice how you have to find these thinks out? Your right that should help. Also the first mask they gave me was way too small.

Thanks again

Dave Avery
01-14-2004, 1:31 PM
Nice work Dick, I particularly like the contrasting woods. Dave.

Dave Richards
01-14-2004, 2:42 PM
Dick, I like your cleats. They even look good.

My father just went through the same thing only his first blower didn't have the humidifier and he was getting all dried out. The clinician never even suggested one. I told him about that and that he could probably get enough moisture by blowing the air through a jug of water. They finally got him straightened out but I think he used me as a threat. :eek:

All he had to do was say, "My son, who works at Mayo..." :D The clinician has no idea that I don't run the equipment. I only keep the equipment running. :p

Wes Bischel
01-14-2004, 3:12 PM
Nice table - I like the contrasting woods on the top - and if your new "tool" allows you to use your "real" tools with the benefit of a good nights sleep, then I would say it's worth its weight in gold!

Wes

Ray Dockrey
01-14-2004, 3:55 PM
My wife has the same problem. Her machine is different then yours but she has the exact same mask. It is quite remarkable the difference this makes. It took me about two weeks to get used to the quiet at night. She has completely changed to. It is amazing what a good nights sleep can do for you. Good Luck to you.

Jason Tuinstra
01-14-2004, 4:24 PM
Dick, nice looking table. I'm sure your wife is dreaming of her own Master Card commercial. "Cherry side table - $250. A good night sleep... priceless!" Sound about right? Seriously, you did a fine job.

Steve Jenkins
01-14-2004, 4:34 PM
NIce job Dick. Good looking and functional too.
As an aside, I snored a lot and had a moderate case of sleep apnea,if there is such a thing. I cured both by losing about 40 lbs. Don't know if it's applicable or not just thought I would mention it. May help someone elso who snores.
Keep up the good work. Steve

Don Abele
01-14-2004, 5:54 PM
Dick, beautiful table. I'll have to print out the pic and show it to the 3 current patients I have on CPAP machines and tell them that's what they need for theirs!!! :D Maybe I could make a little extra money that way??? :p Anyway, in addition to the couple of other suggestions above, one thing I always have evlauated for my guys is tonsils and adenoids (if you still have them). While the procedure isn't as cut (pun not intended) and dry as it is for children, it can be very successful in apnea and snoring.

Be well,

Doc

Fred Voorhees
01-14-2004, 6:35 PM
Dick, I know where you are coming from. I snored like a banchee and quite often, I woke up in the morning with my wife MIA. She always ended up out on the couch. I have been using the CPAP (Constant Positive Airway Pressure) since late September. What a difference it has made in my life! They told me that there was maybe a three month window of getting used to the mask. It took me only about a week before I got comfortable with it. Now, I wouldn't go anywhere without it. My sleep is so much better now. And the wifey is always there when I wake up in the morning.

The table looks great. I have been mulling over in my mind, just how to design one to hold my CPAP machine.

Fred Voorhees

Thomas Walker
01-15-2004, 12:04 AM
Nice table! Even in the details of the table no one can see.

And what a perfect angle, "Honey, if I buy a new ______ (your choice of tools), I'll be able to make what I need to quit snoring so you can sleep at night!"

Dick Parr
01-15-2004, 7:51 AM
Thanks everyone for the nice words. The wife is one happy camper. Don one thing I would do differently is to spread the legs out further. For the height of it and the weight that goes on top, it felt sold at that spacing on a solid table top in the shop. But now that it is on carpet, it feels top heavy. Space the legs out more. I kept them in as far as I could so that I wouldn’t trip on them in the middle of the night since I didn’t have a lot of room.

Steve and Don, I did try the weight lose and it did work some. I had my tonsils and adenoids removed as a kid, so that option is out. With the new mask, I seem to be tolerating it a lot better so I will stick with it this time. Not fully comfortable with it yet, but more so then last week.

Matthew Poeller
01-15-2004, 9:01 AM
Dick nice work. I love the table.

As far as the machine and the apnea go I was very amazed to find out how many people actually suffer from this. As I started talking to people at work there are a number of people that suffer from this problem. Many, many more than I would have thought. And not all of them have weight problems, that is commonly associated with apnea. I was diagnosed with clinically insignificant apnea about a year ago. That means that I have it but it does not really make me overly tired. However I snored up a storm. The sleep doctor told me that I should have my tonsils out. (Since they were the biggest that he had ever seen.) Well, I resisted at first since I am 25 and the surgery gets worse as you get older. I had surgery to remove my tonsils on the 29th of December and still recovering a little bit. I DO NOT SNORE ANYMORE AT ALL. I am sure that the apnea is completely gone as well but they will not test me again for a couple of months until I am fully healed. I just find it so interesting that so many people have this problem and the real detriment to quality of life that it has. As the Doc said on this sight if you have not had your tonsils or adnoids out the two weeks of pain might be worth not having to use the CPAP or VPAP machine. Coincidentally I think that I will not choke on my food as much anymore either which became a real problem living alone. It is not fun to have to give yourself the hiemlich manuver. Good Luck and Be Well.

Todd Burch
01-15-2004, 9:29 AM
Dick, nice little functional table you made yourself there! And hey, the handy way you mounted the top, if you wanted to make a new base for it, the top would swap over quite easily.

Good job! Glad to hear you are sleeping better, and you wife is glad too, I'm sure!