PDA

View Full Version : Things to check in a used benchtop planer

Dwain Lambrigger
06-28-2007, 9:35 PM
I am going to look at a used DeWalt 734 planer. Want to get the 735, but I really believe this is a good deal at $175.00. It has three blades, and two speeds. Here is my "issue." I have never owned a planer, and only used one for a couple of projects. I plan on taking out a flashlight, and a piece of reasonably rough wood to test it out. Please give me some added advice regarding other things I should check. I have only seen this online, but pictures can be decieving. This is not the original owner. I am also planning to ask about original manual and other docs. Appreciate any help you can provide.

glenn bradley
06-28-2007, 9:54 PM
I have the DW734 and enjoy it. Three knives, single speed (735 is dual speed). Raise and lower the carriage to it's extremes and assure smooth movement. Run some wood and check for parallel sides (equal thickness) with a caliper. Check for undamaged infeed/outfeed and platen surfaces (no screw heads drug across / gouges and such. Check that the carriage lock engages well; lock it and try to raise or lower the head a bit (not too hard, you don't want to damage it before you buy it). The dust port on mine blows hard enough to inflate my DC bag even if the DC isn't on. that's about all I can think of.

joe greiner
06-29-2007, 7:19 AM
I second the motion of running the carriage to its extreme positions. While doing so, check for any backlash in the chain drive; although this is easy to adjust with the bottom plate removed. I have the DW733 (predecessor to the 734, as best I can tell). The 733 had some auxiliary lock nuts on the threaded rods; a service bulletin advised that these would not be included in repairs, because they were found to cause binding. In fact, the previous owner (bought at garage sale) had destroyed the carriage by driving the thickness adjustment too hard. A replacement casting for the carriage is cheap enough to still justify my price. But not yet done because it hasn't moved up on my list.

Good idea to ask about manuals and other doc's, but high expectation is not justified. Not to worry though: technical publications are (or were) available at DeWalt Service Net; I don't have the url, but Google of [dewalt service] should find it. Sears repair centers may also have printable files available on their terminals.

Joe

Rich Engelhardt
06-29-2007, 7:29 AM
Hello,

but I really believe this is a good deal at $175.00
Check the blades.
The 734 uses throw away blades. The 735 blades can be resharpened.
Replacement blades run ~ $50.00 for the 734.
If both sides of the blades have been used, and the side showing is on the dull side, you're looking at a potential cost of $50.00 for new ones right off the bat.
You may be able to parlay/barter that into your offer.

$175.00 is a decent price.
They run about $399.00 just about everywhere.
I paid $228.00, plus $49.00 shipping for that same model about three weeks ago. Amazon had them on sale for $228.00 + shipping.
I did a fair amount of research and asked around here at SMC for opinions on the 734.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=59098

Responses were positive enough that I went ahead and ordered one.
I haven't had the chance/need to unpack it yet and use it.