PDA

View Full Version : 2nd step of making doors

Jim Hill 2
01-14-2004, 12:16 PM
I was asked to make some raised panel doors for a friend. I have not done this before but have recently acquired the router bits to do it. The last time I used the door making bit set I did it freehand (Scary!) but I have never used them with my new router table. Last night I used the first bit to route the inside edge of all the rails and styles before cutting them to length. I did remember to add in the 3/8ths of an inch overlap. The thing I'm pondering now is how to cut the ends with the second bit? The bearing on my bits is too high to be helpful and I'm worried the 2 3/8ths wide board will wander while I'm cutting it.

I had an idea that I would like to see if anyone has implemented. Or if you have a better idea that would be very appreciated. I started making a sled that is a small version of my panel squaring jig. I have a t-track running down the front edge of my router table and I would like to place one bolt on the left and right sides to hold the panel perpendicular to the bit. I believe this should allow me to clamp the part to the sled providing me with a safe straight cut. If the collective wisdom of the group has any suggestions this amateur is all ears! Thanks for the help.

Dick Parr
01-14-2004, 12:41 PM
Use your fence on the router with a miter gage with a back-up board. Works for me. Good luck.

Lars Thomas
01-14-2004, 2:11 PM
This will go in the 'now you tell me' category . .

I feel it's easier to cut the ends first. Let's say you need two 2-3/4" x 11-1/4" rails. I would cut a board that was approximately 6-1/2" by 11-1/4. Then I would shape both ends followed by both sides (if you do get some tear-out, it is almost always routed away when you shape the long edge). Lastly, rip the rails from both sides of this piece.

You can still use your sled when doing the ends (that's what I do).

I hope it goes well for you.

Jim Hill 2
01-14-2004, 5:27 PM
Thanks for the help... I'll know better next time. Should have the sled finished tonight and I'll try to salvage what I have started.

Jim