PDA

View Full Version : help with a ridgid lathe model 420

Pat Salter
06-28-2007, 8:30 PM
I have a friend who's father bought him a Ridgid wood lathe model 420. anyone have any experience with these? looking at the manual it appears to be a rather light duty lathe. He's in Missouri and I'm in California so I haven't seen it. He would like to get a chuck to fit it. Any sugguestions? I know it's only a 3/4"-16 spindle. He's planning on getting a better lathe in the future.
the Ridgid site doesn't have any more information than the manual.

Hank Walczak
06-28-2007, 9:10 PM
No matter what, tell him to get a chuck that has spindle adapters for it. Then no matter what he upgrades to, all he'll have to do is buy another adapter for the chuck. That's what I did.

Hank

Jim Becker
06-28-2007, 9:13 PM
What Hank said!

Curt Fuller
06-28-2007, 9:24 PM
I spent my first couple years turning on that lathe. You're right about it being light duty. But I still managed to turn a lot of small bowls, hollowforms, etc. It's great as a spindle lathe, pens, goblets etc. And I agree with what Hank said about the chuck. Nothing you upgrade to will use the 3/4" 16tpi set up. It also has a #1 morse taper in the head and tailstock. The minimum speed is 700 rpms which would be considered too fast by most and will also keep the size of blanks well under the 12" capacity. I didn't like the pipe bed because it required regular adjustments to keep the headstock and tailstock aligned.

Pat Salter
06-29-2007, 9:08 AM
Thanks guys, i'm going to hook my friend with this forum (hopefully) so he can pick your brains himself :D

Don Orr
06-29-2007, 1:53 PM
Pat, There is a chuck kit available called the Barracuda. I comes with 2 different thread adapters-3/4" x 16tpi and 1" x 8tpi and several sets of jaws. Economically priced around $160. While it is not a Oneway, Vicmarc, or Axminster, it is a good chuck and good value. I tend to be a bit of a tool snob but I have worked with this chuck several times and found it very adequate. Includes all the necessary wrenches, a screw center and storage case. I think Amazon carries it. With the 2 adapters, he can use it now and maybe later if he upgrades lathes. Check it out, it's worth a look.