PDA

View Full Version : Texas Rains

Jim Sample
06-28-2007, 6:37 PM
I have not seen anything here about all you turners in the Rain areaa of Texas. Hope you are fairing well in that downpour you are getting. We have been down there in the Spring, bought a piece of Pecan log at Burnett along with some sawn Mesquite.

Probably several of you are in Portland at the AAW symposium this week, I would like to be there.

Good luck

Jim Sample

Robert McGowen
06-28-2007, 7:08 PM
I am in the Texas Hill Country about 50 miles from Marble Falls, which is the town in all of the national news. The hills seem to direct the rain along the same path. We have had some rain most every day, but it hasn't really bothered us at all. Our friends in Marble Falls though are really having a tough time of it. No water drinkable water, but water everywhere else, roads closed, and the National Guard has even been called out. The main lake in the area was down 60' this time last year and everyone was calling it a drought. It was 8' above flood stage last time I looked and still going strong. People could use some prayers in Marble Falls for sure.

Ken Garlock
06-28-2007, 7:45 PM
Hi Jim. We have had over 7" so far this month, according to our backyard rain gauge. Everything is literally growing like weeds. One of the local weather men said that we were within 3/4" of a all time record for the month of June. Fortunately, we or not near any rivers or lakes and our house is high ground. There has been a lot of flooding in the greater DFW area. Some of the neighborhoods were in very nice high dollar areas, not the areas you normally think of.

It is not much fun to work outside when the humidity of 70% and up. The good side is that the temperature has been in the 80s for the most part.

This is the time of year that a big high pressure would normally settle in over Texas and just sits there for a couple months. The high brings the high temperatures with it, the 100 degree and and up stuff.

The NOAA people have issued yet another flash flood alert for our area, so we can expect some more thunderstorms tonight. There are now 3 active flood alerts.

I'll take the rain any day instead of snow.

Jude Kingery
06-28-2007, 7:58 PM
Jim, very good of you to think of us in Texas, I'm thankful to say like Ken and Robert, we're ok so far although many of our neighbors have not been so fortunate. They've been steadily evacuating numerous areas around Eastland, which is about 40 miles well, to the east of Abilene where we are, yet several areas in Abilene flooded last night, nobody hurt here locally, but yes pretty severe property damage in some instances, then of course as Ken mentioned, Parker Co, and we have a good kite flying friend in Marble Falls and she's said she's ok, too, but many of her friends, like yours, Robert, have really been devastated. Thanks for the well wishes, Jim, and we'll hang tough. Sposed to rain here the rest of the weekend and on into next week through about Wednesday, ground is totally saturated and here - as Robert mentioned in his area - we were drought stricken last year, now we're at capacity and over the spillway both the local area lakes. Ya'll take care, thanks, Jim, for asking and keeping us all in your thoughts! Sincerely, Jude

Randy Denby
06-29-2007, 12:29 AM
I live just east Of Dallas /Ft Worth. I was only able to get back online this afternoon.Tuesday we had a huge storm blow in with more heavy rains and wind. The ground is so saturated, its just got nowhere to go. And the trees have nothing to cling too. I had three oak trees blow over and unfortunately one hit my storage bulding and home. It destroyed 2 very expensive lawn mowers , John Deere GT275 and Exmark HP48,an '02 Honda XR259 and my granddaughters Yamaha PW80. ALso lost powerwasher,,,chainsaw, weadeater, duct jack.etc. Biggest aggravation was being without phones or internet service. I 'll be glad when it gets back to semi-normal

Harvey M. Taylor
06-29-2007, 4:02 AM
Hi everyone. I live in Ft. Worth and we have been experiencing some severe flooding. Completely lost at least one complete mobile home park. One small child ripped from her mothers arms and drowned. Some more casualties also. More rain almost daily on the way. Predicted rain etc. for month of July. Dont know when this has happened before.I have one BIG cottonwood that could blow over on my house if the wind was from the right direction.Prayers requested, Max

Eddie Watkins
06-29-2007, 10:07 AM
In OKC we have 8.23" for the month. We've had more rain to date this year than we had all of last year. Nothing like the 18" in Texas, though. Shawnee, OK had a little over 5" in about 12 hours the other day and there was flooding. The young girls in the white Mercedes whose rescue made the national news Dad works here and I understand that he is beside himself with joy, understandably, because they were able to rescue the girls. We have now had 17 days of rain in a row which is a record for us. It is beginning to feel like Seattle. LOML is having delirium tremors from lack of sunshine according to her.:rolleyes: I will say she is really cranky. :)

Eddie

Jim Becker
06-29-2007, 11:38 AM
I just emailed a friend in Austin and asked him if he switched over from making furniture to making water-travel vessels like kyaks, canoes or...an ark... :)

Oy...I really feel for all you folks in the thick of all that rain. Wow. Terrible.

Richard M. Wolfe
06-29-2007, 9:46 PM
I'm in Stephenville, which is about sixty miles southwest of Ft. Worth, and about 30 mile sw south of Granbury. I didn't notice anything about Granbury on the national news but saw some shots from Metroplex stations of helicopters taking people off rooftops there.

Where I work I do the weather and our place is designated as an official cooperative observer for the National Weather Service; the readings eventually get verified as official. So I can spit out plenty of numbers. So far for the month here 10.26", a record rainfall for June by nearly an inch and a half. Considering a thirty year average, the yearly rainfall here is 30.51". To date for the year we have had 30.47". (This March also had a record high rainfall). Had enough?

No real problems with flooding locally other than some potholes developing in city streets as we haven't had any tremendously heavy rains at any one time. A few roads closed for a while around here by high water, but no interruptions of utilities, etc.

Usually we're in the mid to upper 90's by now for an average, but it's been the low 80's. I'll take 90's over snow any time....but then I remember this Easter when we had an inch of snow on the ground. :(

Jim O'Dell
06-29-2007, 10:45 PM
I'm just west of Ft Worth about a mile before I20 and I30 join. For the locals, Mary's Creek is at the back of our property. It is swollen, but has not come out of the banks and over the bridge like it did in April. I read an article on MSN this morning talking about the TX and OK problems. I understand that all 77 counties in OK are impacted. My home town of Ada OK has had some problems and the county has 3 bridges damaged. Haven't talked to my inlaws to see how bad it is.
Hope everyone heeds the new slogan in TX about high water. "Turn around, don't drown" It's very good advice. Jim.