PDA

View Full Version : Delta 28-206 Band Saw Users, need opinion

Hal Flynt
01-14-2004, 11:26 AM
Hi All,

My son-in-law is about to purchase a Delta 28-206 band saw for $399. He has read some reviews about pulleys not aligning, and sloppy lower blade guides etc.

It's a Chinese built model and I think that it will probably be a good buy after some setting up.

Anybody have one, that cares to share your experience?

Thanks

Terre Hooks
01-14-2004, 4:19 PM
Hal,

I don't have that model, but I have the US made X5, which is pretty similar. Only thing I can think of about the pulleys not aligning is that the user doesn't know how, or didn't do it to begin with.

The lower blade guides are the same style that are on the US made saws, a patented system that only Delta can use. No other bandsaw manufacturer has their lower blade guides closer to the table than Delta.

The blade guide design Delta uses is one of the best, especially for the money. Nothing wrong with it. It enables you to use 1/8" blades, something you can't do with the roller bearing guides.

I don't see how you can complain much anyway, a saw that was selling for $600 a few months ago for $400. Only thing I don't like about that saw is it is made in Chiner.

EliotMason
01-14-2004, 9:37 PM
Hal,

I think that's the one I had briefly before moving up the GO513 so I could do some heavier resawing.

The nice thing about the Delta is the positioning of the lower blade guides, they are much closer to the bottom of the table and thus provide better tracking. I didn't use it much, but I had no problems tracking, aligning or such. Seems a deal to me.

Hal Flynt
01-15-2004, 6:36 PM
Thanks for the info.

It looks like I'll get to help him set ti up and then tweak it after he gets frustrated going line by line on the instructions. (I always called them "corrections")

Thanks

Doug Jones
01-15-2004, 7:09 PM
Hi All,

My son-in-law is about to purchase a Delta 28-206 band saw for $399.
Thanks

Hal, where is he getting it for that price? For almost the same money he could get the Grizzly GO555 with the riser kit.

Hal Flynt
01-16-2004, 9:54 AM
It's a grand opening sale at a new Rockler store.