PDA

View Full Version : Wood Thickness

Rob Bodenschatz
06-28-2007, 2:11 PM
My next "real" project is the Cherry & Fir Bookcase from Jan/Feb 2003 FWW:

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/FWNPDF/011161060.pdf

If you don't have access to the article, it's basically a frame and panel bookcase. Hopefully, my questions make sense without actually seeing the article.

I'd like to stay as true as possible to the dimensions outlined in the plan/article. I have a ton of 4/4 cherry that I'd like to use for this project. The thing is, a lot of the dimensions have finished thicknesses of 1 1/4" and above. Now, I don't have an issue laminating stock together to get the desired thickness for the posts and rails because they are only 2 3/4" wide. What I'm wondering is, the top and shelves are thicker than the stock I have and are obviously wider than the posts and rails. Top is ~18" and the shelves are ~12" wide. Should I just break down and buy some thicker stock? Or, should I attempt to face-laminate (is that the right term?) two boards to get my final thickness?

I'd like to use the stock I have but I want to make sure I'm not breaking any rules.

Dan Oliphant
06-28-2007, 3:11 PM
Rob, glueing two (or more) pieces together will will not be an issue. Wood movement would be in the same direction on the glue up. Just try to match wood color tone and grain as much as possible for a pleasing visual effect. Try to keep all glue joints uniform, in other words don't have a deminsioned piece (finished thickness) that has a glue up containing one piece at 3/4 inch and another at 1/4 inch, glue two 1/2 inch pieces instead.

Jim Becker
06-28-2007, 3:21 PM
The trick is to use "less good looking stock" for the under lamination and also plan for a way to deal with the end-grain where the lamination will be most noticeable. The front face can be done as a miter joint to insure you don't have a glue joint there. Check out that thread that Mark Singer posted awhile back on the technique...it was for table legs, but the method will work for your thicker tops, too. Again, you'll need to deal with the end grain.

Or...you could trot down to Hearne and buy some nice 6/4 or 8/4 figured stock to make that visible top...and save the 4/4 stuff for another project. It's only money... :D