06-28-2007, 12:42 PM
So, my new wife and I were sitting, watching TV, minding our own
business. Suddenly, the power flicked on, flicked off, flicked on, flicked
off, then back on. Figured I should unplug some of my electronics at this
point..

I'm guessing it was followed by a surge. Right about when I reached to
unplug my laptop, the ceiling fan in the room popped and threw out a
huge spark onto the carpet, (followed by the requisite burnt motor smell),
and subsequently died. It did trip the breaker.

SOOO glad it didn't start a fire!!

Went out and bought a couple fire extinguishers right after that
(and installed a new ceiling fan!). You can see black charring on the metal
fan housing from the short.

This is your public service announcement. :eek:

John Shuk
06-28-2007, 12:59 PM
Scary. I had a lightening strike close to house turn my cieling fan on once. Kind of weird.

Joe Pelonio
06-28-2007, 1:33 PM
Must not be a good day for electrical appliances. First a microwave then a fan.

Things always happen in 3's, who's next?

Jim Becker
06-28-2007, 2:10 PM
Sure...you were just sitting there watching TV...sure you were... :D

Seriously, 'glad there was no damage over a replacement fan. Scary...

jeremy levine
06-28-2007, 3:12 PM
Scary. I had a lightening strike close to house turn my cieling fan on once. Kind of weird.
Me too ( well one on , one off ( until I replaced the wireless controler )).

Dennis Peacock
06-28-2007, 8:39 PM
Sure...you were just sitting there watching TV...sure you were... :D

Uh-Hu.....my thought exactly Jim!!!! They don't call Aaron "sparky" for nuttin!!!! :p :D

glenn bradley
06-28-2007, 9:04 PM
Man, we are getting the fire warning message as of late. Let's all pay attention ;-) I know after a couple of posts, I was out double checking my extinguishers. I keep them at chest-height, mounted where I have a direct path to one from any major tool working position.

As long as we're on safety; I had done something based on experience that my dad had not thought of. His comments make me want to share, just in case.

I woodwork alone. I'm sure many do. My first-aid kit is in a plastic shoe box with a non-latching lid (that's the part that got dad's attention). If the worst happens, I can just tip the kit over and everything pours out. Bearing in mind that one could find themselves in a position of not wanting to fool with fussy latches while trying to get to the tourniquet. You guys do all have a tourniquet that you can operate one handed in your first aid kit, right?

Anyway, better safe than sorry.

Randy Denby
06-30-2007, 12:27 AM
Man, we are getting the fire warning message as of late. Let's all pay attention ;-) I know after a couple of posts, I was out double checking my extinguishers. I keep them at chest-height, mounted where I have a direct path to one from any major tool working position.

As long as we're on safety; I had done something based on experience that my dad had not thought of. His comments make me want to share, just in case.

I woodwork alone. I'm sure many do. My first-aid kit is in a plastic shoe box with a non-latching lid (that's the part that got dad's attention). If the worst happens, I can just tip the kit over and everything pours out. Bearing in mind that one could find themselves in a position of not wanting to fool with fussy latches while trying to get to the tourniquet. You guys do all have a tourniquet that you can operate one handed in your first aid kit, right?

Anyway, better safe than sorry.

Irealized after reading you message....I've got one extinguisher, and It hasnt been checked since I installed it 9 years ago......I feel so inadequate:o