PDA

View Full Version : Question about HD Ryobi cordless kit

Louis Brandt
06-28-2007, 11:43 AM
Hello,
Home Depot is selling a Ryobi 18 volt 3 piece cordless tool kit, with drill, circular saw and flashlight (although I don’t really care about the flashlight) with 2 batteries and charger, for $99. I really need a cordless circular saw, and I’d like a better cordless drill than I have. Does anyone out there feel that this would be a good buy?
Thanks,
Louis

James Phillips
06-28-2007, 11:50 AM
I have the cordless cirular saw and it is OK. I bought this "cheap" tool, because I do not plan to use it for any finish cuts, cut cutting down sheet stock. It is not the best saw in the world, but depending on what yu are after it will get the job done

Michael Stanley
06-28-2007, 11:56 AM
I bought this very kit for the circular saw about a year and a half ago. I use it to break down sheet goods and the occasional quick cut around the house. It does a pretty good job and imo is worth the 99 bucks. The drill isn't bad either but I don't think either the saw or drill would hold up for very long to daily jobsite use. The batteries don't seem to hold a charge for very long but for home use this hasn't been a problem for me. For the price I've been pretty happy

Matt Meiser
06-28-2007, 12:02 PM
I have an older 14.4v Ryobi drill/saw/flashlight set. It works well, but the batteries didn't last very long to start with and got worse quick. I think if I were to have the batteries rebuilt with good cells it would be a good set of tools for an amateur like me. For the price, you listed, I don't think it is a bad deal, if you go in with the assumption that you'll eventually need better batteries than Ryobi provides. Battery Rebuilders will rebuild 18V batteries for $37 each with good quality 2100mAh cells.

Edit: I finally found a spec on the Ryobi 18V batteries--they are 1700mAh (as opposed to 2400mAh for Dewalt and Bosch and 2500mAh for Ridgid)

Louis Brandt
06-28-2007, 12:54 PM
Hello again,
Well, I assume that I'd be better off with either a DeWalt or Makita (or something equivalent), but I've never seen either of these advertised with only the saw and batteries/charger, and I don't need a huge kit with light and reciprocating saw, etc. If I could find a top name brand cordless circular saw by itself (with battery and charger), I'd go for that.
Louis

Ed Blough
06-28-2007, 3:07 PM
Hello again,
Well, I assume that I'd be better off with either a DeWalt or Makita (or something equivalent), but I've never seen either of these advertised with only the saw and batteries/charger, and I don't need a huge kit with light and reciprocating saw, etc. If I could find a top name brand cordless circular saw by itself (with battery and charger), I'd go for that.
Louis

No me! I have gotten burnt on the costly battery replacement. I now shop battery prices. Sears just lowered theirs, Ryobi is the cheapest at $40 for two and Ridgid offers lifetime replacement.
If my business depended on my cordless I would just buy a couple spare sets like the one talked about in this thread.
Until the the manufactures offer reasonable replacement batteries they keep their tools and batteries. And if more guys would think like this battery cost would drop immediately.

rocky brown
06-28-2007, 5:24 PM
i had the ryobi saw and i too was unhappy with the battery life and power- when cutting up 4X8 sheets of plywood i had to have extra batteries on hand or stop in the middle of what i was doing and wait for them to recharge. i ended up buying a refurb bosch 14.4 with 2 batteries and a 1 hour charger for about $90. it came with the carrying case and looked brand new. it works great, the batteries seem to last forever and it has a quality feel to it.
i think i got it at tool king?

rb

Michael Schwartz
06-28-2007, 6:01 PM
The Ryobi drills are not bad, I own a few and I use them alongside my Dewalt's and my Milwaukee.

The flashlight is really usefull I use mine all the time.

The saw is mediocre. It doesn't really have enough stamina for cutting sheet goods, but it does ok with trim etc... I wouldn't plan on using it to cut more than 12 linear feet of plywood at a time. It will crosscut 2x lumber, but again you will only get a few cuts out of it, before the battery needs to be recharged.

The Ryobi Reciprocating saw is pretty decent and actualy does ok with the battery and cuts nice and strait. I have cut through some pretty thick mettal with it and it does fine.

The Jigsaw runs a bit rough but performs great for the price. It is better than my 20 dollar corded cheapo. Again, it isn't a Dewalt or Bosh, but it is pretty nice for the price.

The tough sucker vacuum is a bad joke :rolleyes:

The chainsaw is actualy faster than a bowsaw :D

The ryobi cordless tools are decent, I use my drills alot, the impact driver is especially nice, the jigsaw is decent, and the Sawzall is pretty good. I started off with the Hammer Drill/Driver, charger and two batteries, about 125.00 Then I bought the Impact Driver, and another two batteries, another 100.00. Needing a decent jigsaw, sawzall etc... in a pinch I decided to get the old super combo with all the tools (older version of the drill etc...). for something likle 220.00.

They have all taken a backseat (except the impact driver) To my Milwaukee V28 kit, but they are half decent tools, and they averege out to being about 25 dollars each if you by a kit, and with exception to the circular saw get the job done.

The saw is ok, as long as you have a decen't 7-1/4 inch corded saw.

Alan Greene
06-28-2007, 8:00 PM
I have had my set for about two years. I agree that they are not the best tools but they do what I need. I even dropped (knocked:D ) the drill into the pond 3 weeks ago and the thing still works!:)

Bart Leetch
06-28-2007, 8:27 PM
If you watch you can catch a sale & get the Drill/saw combo for $39, I did. I also have the impact tool & another saw with laser. that I purchased before the combo set. I also have the laminate trimmer which isn't to bad after I made a bigger plastic base for it..

When I purchased the drill/saw combo I had gone to HD to buy a new battery for my 9.6 Makita drills for $30 & found the set on sale for $39 & felt it was a good deal.

Matt Meiser
06-28-2007, 9:10 PM
I actually had occasion to use mine today since my PC batteries are out for rebuild. I forgot how nice the drill is--well balanced, runs nice, etc. However the batteries were totally dead after sitting for a couple months, something that doesn't happen with my other cordless tools. I think I'll go ahead and get the batteries rebuilt when the PC batteries get back.

Rich Engelhardt
06-29-2007, 7:16 AM
Hello Ed,

I now shop battery prices. Sears just lowered theirs, Ryobi is the cheapest at $40 for two and Ridgid offers lifetime replacement.
Same here.
Actually, after the nose dive my cordless took off of the step ladder last Sunday morning, I'm asking myself if I really need another cordless at all.
I had to resort to my old Black and Decker 3/8" corded drill for a few things this past week.
The difference in *power* simply amazed me.
(plus the fact that the old B&D has been dropped hundreds of times with no ill effects).

At this point, I'm not sure I want another cordless for the few times when I really need one.

I have ~ 5 batteries for the Firestorm that won't go to waste. I bought another cordless one that uses the same batteries on sale at Wal Mart for the same price as a battery. ($39.00).

I'm not questioning the convienece of cordless - or the necessity for cordless some people have. Speaking only for myself, there's really only a few times that I really need cordless. I'd say 99.9% of the time, I grab the cordless simply to save a few seconds of plugging the corded one in.

I believe, for now anyhow, I'm jumping off the "battery merry-go-round".

Larry Rasmussen
06-29-2007, 8:44 AM
I bought the full kit of the Ryobi 14 volt. The drill is fine and I use it almost daily on a hobby level. Like you I thought the flashlight would be just baggage but I have used it for many hours in attic and crawl space, am really happy to own it. Circular saw is of very limited use.

However I bought a DeWalt 18 volt X something kit (newer one) with charger, battery and circular saw. Big disappointment. Yes a better saw but not really functional enough for my occasional use. Sold it on Craig's, took the hit money wise and bought a couple new batteries for the Ryobi. As far as alternatives go, I'd avoid the DeWalt with it's overpriced batteries and rather ordinary performance.

Larry R

Corey Hallagan
06-29-2007, 8:48 AM
I have been using this set since the 18V Plus system came out 2 years ago or so. I had the 14.4V set and it just wasn't powerfull enough and the circ saw just didn't cut anything. but took it back because of the bad chuck on the drill and got the 18V set. I have used the circ saw for cutting up 1/4 ply, hardboard etc. Works fine for that. I have 4 batteries that I rotate and have available. I think the drill is great .... no reason for me to buy a Dewalt or any other expensive set up for home/remodelling use. I have since remodeled a bathroom, living room, hallway and kitchen and it has been so invaluable to me. That little work light is pretty darn handy inside of cabinets as well. The impact wrench gets great reviews as well... I will pick one of those up one of these days. For home use... it's a great buy... if you do professional work spend your money eslewhere.

Corey

James Carmichael
06-29-2007, 2:20 PM
I think you'd be fine with that combo. The cool thing about the Ryobi line is the inexpensive batteries. If I had their system, I'd definitely add the $69 impact driver.

BTW, don't discount the flashlight.

I have a long, sad history with flashlights that I can only attribute to some bizzare electromagnetic current emanating from my fingers (maybe there was an alien abduction in my childhood:confused: ), but I have a large collection of Mag-lights and other expensive torches that were used once or twice at most before dying, and that no amount of battery or bulb replacements will revive. My 18v Dewalt, though, just keeps on going. It's the only flashlight LOML will allow me to touch anymore:eek:

Matt Meiser
07-18-2007, 9:36 PM
I just today got my 14.4V batteries back from Battery Rebuilders. My saw is like a totally new tool. I made about 10 crosscuts on a 6" wide piece of oak and it was still cutting as good on the last as the first. That's a lot of use for someone like me. I think the 18V tools with rebuilt batteries would be great tools for even a serious hobbiest, for a lot less money than big name tools.

Jason Abel
07-18-2007, 10:39 PM
Thanks for the feedback Matt. I saw in an earlier post you listed the 18V Ryobi as a 1700mAh battery pack. The cells inside all of the ones I've been pulling apart are 1300's and ocassionally I come across some 1500's. They are even cells made from Energizer so the rating is definitely stretched to the max. You will find the 2100mAh batts you got from us will charge to 2250-2300. Should equate to a huge difference in run time and power. Let me know if you have any troubles or need anything else.

Jason
Battery Builders / MTO Battery
www.mtobattery.com (http://www.mtobattery.com)

Matt Meiser
07-19-2007, 8:14 AM
So they even lie about the Ah ratings. Is there no shame?

Actually I got the number from Home Depot's web site, I couldn't find it on Ryobi's, so maybe Home Depot is the culprit, not Ryobi.

Jason Boushard
07-19-2007, 9:37 AM
My boss and I use them every day installing cabinets I like his ryobi impact driver better cuse of the little light(I have a dewalt) I think ryobi is a good set for a hobby guy. I am going to look into rebuilding the batts though longer run time means less batterys I have to lug around from house to house. He has the drill set you mention and uses it all the time its a nice drill I would go for it.

Justin McCurdy
07-19-2007, 9:45 AM
I have had the Ryobi drill for 4 years now. The original batteries did not last long as Matt said, but they have corrected the problem. I bought replacements at HD (2 for $40) and haven't had a problem since. This drill has lasted through 2 large decks and a lot of storage for the house not to mention numerous woodworking projects. All in all, you cannot go wrong with the drill. And considering I paid 99 for the drill and 2 batteries, you are getting quite a steal. My brother in-law also told me that he read an article comparing the popular drills to find out that even though the DeWalt had more torque, the Ryobi would drive more screws on a full charge.

Matt Meiser
07-19-2007, 10:17 AM
That doesn't suprise me. The standard Dewalt batteries (not marked XR or XRP) are really low mAh rated. I think they were in the 1300-1500 range like the Ryobis when I found it hidden deep on their web site. If the Dewalt motor use more energy, the same size battery wouldn't last as long.