PDA

View Full Version : Drum sander ?

Al Willits
06-28-2007, 9:23 AM
I see locally on Craig's List a person is selling a 1994 Woodmaster 37" drum sander for $1750.
Unfortunately its coming at the wrong time for me, but if this thing is in decent shape, it it a good price?

Also is there a lot involved/cost in rebuilding one of these if they're a bit worn???

Al

David DeCristoforo
06-28-2007, 12:07 PM
Depends on the condition. A brand new one can be had for just under $2,800 so you are looking at 60% of new cost for the used machine. If it's been in continuous use since '94, it may be ready for an overhaul which would eat up most of the "savings". All bearings, riser shafts, drive chains etc. are replacable but if you did have to rehab the machine, $1,750 would be IMMHO too high a price.

Bruce Page
06-28-2007, 12:27 PM
Al, the $2800 price doesn’t include any sandpaper, mobile base or shipping so if it is in good condition, those are things to consider.
I was looking at a new 2675 and with the various sandpaper rolls, M/B & shipping I was getting close to 3K. I ended up buying a 4 year old unit in good condition and decked out almost exactly how I wanted for $1500. I was a happy camper.

BTW, yer pushing 1800 posts, when are you going to put up a mug shot?

Al Willits
06-28-2007, 12:39 PM
Al, the $2800 price doesn’t include any sandpaper, mobile base or shipping so if it is in good condition, those are things to consider.
I was looking at a new 2675 and with the various sandpaper rolls, M/B & shipping I was getting close to 3K. I ended up buying a 4 year old unit in good condition and decked out almost exactly how I wanted for $1500. I was a happy camper.

BTW, yer pushing 1800 posts, when are you going to put up a mug shot?

Mug shot??
Have to find a camera that won't break in the attempt..:)
I'll see if I can round up one, other than the poster of me in the Post Office, although can't figure out why anyone would wanna see this old fart...:)

btw, thanks for info on sander and a even bigger thanks to all for putting up with my almost 1800 dumb questions, you guys and gals have made the journey into woodworking much easier, and I try and return the favor when ever I can, but its no where near matches what I've learned here and the people I've met... thanks.

Al...who thinks you are a lot friendlier than his parole officer....:D

John Bush
06-28-2007, 12:58 PM
Does anyone have info on the PerformaX Shoppro 25 closed end drum sander?? Can't seem to find much info on them and wondered if they are a good machine and what a logical value would be for one near new condition? Thanks, John.