PDA

View Full Version : Segmented Wooden Pen *PIC*

Ken Salisbury
01-14-2004, 5:06 AM
I recently posted a picture of a segmented Corian pen I made as a result of a suggestion by Scott Greeves.

It turned out so good the thought came to me "why not one made from wood". So in one of my weaker moments yesterday I made this. It has 32 pieces consisting of walnut, beech, goncola alves and bloodwood. "Crazy people make crazy stuff" (I was not into the BL at the time) :D.

I had 2 people try to buy it at Appleebees happy hour yesterday - I just couldn't force myself to part with it. I need some more time to show it off.:)

I will definitely make some more of these.

Julie Wright
01-14-2004, 6:24 AM
Thats a pretty pen, I like the differents woods in it. What did you use to cut your segments?

Ken Salisbury
01-14-2004, 7:07 AM
Thats a pretty pen, I like the differents woods in it. What did you use to cut your segments?
BS and RAS - I have a PDF file showing how to make a segmented pen that I got from Scott Greeves - I will send it to ya if you want it.

Glenn Clabo
01-14-2004, 7:32 AM
Hey Ken...Nice pen! Did you model it off those old golf pants you used to wear?

Sorry....

Tom Hintz
01-14-2004, 7:34 AM
I have been playing with segmenting pens also, trying top use up the scraps laying around I know can be incorporated into something.
I've been using my SCMS with a zero-clearance fence to keep the cutoffs from taking flight. It works good, even with those little pieces. I tried the table saw sled, which worked much of the time, but even that would occasionally launch one of the little guys. I think they are just too light to stay put all the time.

Ken Salisbury
01-14-2004, 7:36 AM
I've been using my SCMS with a zero-clearance fence to keep the cutoffs from taking flight. It works good, even with those little pieces. I tried the table saw sled, which worked much of the time, but even that would occasionally launch one of the little guys. I think they are just too light to stay put all the time.

I use my RAS - no problem with it - works great !!

Dick Parr
01-14-2004, 8:27 AM
Very nice Ken. When ya going to make some in the shape of a long neck? Then ya can have Keith do some engraving on it to make it your (our) favorite brand.

Ron Smith ... Richmond, VA
01-14-2004, 11:51 AM
... It turned out so good the thought came to me "why not one made from wood". I will definitely make some more of these.

Gorgeous pen, Ken. I appreciate you casting the pearls before the swine (so to speak) ... and someday hope to be able to get to this level of craftmanship. Thanks for sharing the techniques and picts.

Ron

Brad Schafer
01-14-2004, 11:54 AM
sharp! my ideas folder is starting to overflow ...

b

Don Farr
01-14-2004, 12:06 PM
Really nice Ken, but I wish you wouldn't inspire me. The LOML is going to have my head if I don't stop buying lathe stuff. :D

Jerry Todd
01-14-2004, 12:37 PM
Ken,
Great pen. You guys are going to drive me into another tool purchase. Perhaps a jet mini lathe.
Jerry

Scott Greaves
01-14-2004, 11:42 PM
Hi Ken,

Boy, this one sure turned out nice!

For those that would like to see that PDF file about making segmented pens, it's posted over on the Penturners.org site. We also have a new article about a nice cutting sled for use on a bandsaw.

Scott.