PDA

View Full Version : some new handles

Kevin Day
06-28-2007, 1:30 AM
here is some new handles i got done tonight

1 ash 16"L handle homemade crane neck
1 honey locust 18"L handle crane neck
1 honey locust 18"L handle with 3/4" roughing gouge

and 3/8" PSI bowl gouge 17" handle ( just for comparisons)
sorry about the bad pic
critiques welcomed

kevin

Kevin Day
06-28-2007, 1:34 AM
here is a close up of the honey locust handles

Bernie Weishapl
06-28-2007, 10:32 AM
Kevin you did a great job on them. I like the locust ones. Very nice.

Kevin Day
06-28-2007, 9:08 PM
thanks bernie i thought they came out really good for the first ones ive done

George Van
06-28-2007, 9:26 PM
Nice handles Kevin, is honey lucust a heavy wood? Heavier than hard maple? I have never turned any and it made some great handles.

Burt Alcantara
06-30-2007, 11:15 AM
I've always been curious about handle shapes. I have 2 aluminum handles from Trent Bosch and one from Kelton, which I think is steel. These are my primary tools - 1/2" gouge, 5/8" gouge and 1 1/4" round side scraper. I'd rather put a scraper on the Kelton but I'm waiting until I have better technique before I buy a good scraper. Currently using, believe it or not, HF scrapers. Since I'm just learning their use, via Alan Lacer's excellent video, "The Skew Chisel," they make good tools to practice sharpening.

All are straight tubes. My other handles are more typically shaped with the "bulge" near the tool end.

Is there an advantage to the bulge or is just a matter of personal taste?

Thanks,
Burt

Ken Fitzgerald
06-30-2007, 11:25 AM
Burt.....I think it's a matter of personal preference and "feel". I have some HF tools that have a tubular handle and I have some Robert Larson, Robert Sorby and Hamlet tools that have the the rounded bulge near the end. I like the rounded bulged handles better because they fit my hands better. JMHO.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-30-2007, 11:26 AM
Kevin.....Nice job on the handles!

Gordon Seto
06-30-2007, 12:12 PM
I think besides how the handle feel in your hands which is a personal choice. It also provide leverage and weight balance. With the bulge near the end it makes the weight distribution near the end of the handle which effectively balance the down force on the other side of the tool rest. For the same reason, some people put lead shot in the end of their handle to dampen vibration.

Gordon

Dennis Peacock
06-30-2007, 12:39 PM
Nice handles there Kevin.!!!! I always like a "self-turned" handle better as I make the to fit my hands. For me, turning is a lot more comfortable with a handle that just "feels" good to your hands.

Mike A. Smith
06-30-2007, 12:43 PM
I think there are two basic reasons that handles for any tools are made with a bulge on the end that tapers to the middle:

1. It helps keep your hand from slipping off the end without having a white knuckle grip on it.

2. It lets you slide your hand to the point where the diameter best fits your hand.

...my $0.02

Kevin Day
06-30-2007, 5:12 PM
Nice handles Kevin, is honey lucust a heavy wood? Heavier than hard maple? I have never turned any and it made some great handles.

hey george

the honey locust handles have about twice the weight as the ash handle i made.
the 3/4" roughing gouge balances about 2" behind the collor and handles extremely well while cutting

I've always been curious about handle shapes. I have 2 aluminum handles from Trent Bosch and one from Kelton, which I think is steel. These are my primary tools - 1/2" gouge, 5/8" gouge and 1 1/4" round side scraper. I'd rather put a scraper on the Kelton but I'm waiting until I have better technique before I buy a good scraper. Currently using, believe it or not, HF scrapers. Since I'm just learning their use, via Alan Lacer's excellent video, "The Skew Chisel," they make good tools to practice sharpening.

All are straight tubes. My other handles are more typically shaped with the "bulge" near the tool end.

Is there an advantage to the bulge or is just a matter of personal taste?

Thanks,
Burt

Burt i would say it all boils down to what you like but like what others have said the bugle at the end is so your hand doesnt slip off the tool

thanks for all the comments guys
kevin