PDA

View Full Version : Steel City Fences

daniel lane
06-27-2007, 11:15 PM
I've searched the forums, the interblag, and whatever I can find in the print brochures, and I still have no idea of what the difference is between the Steel City "deluxe" and "industrial" fences. Anybody have experience with both and can spare the time to give an explanation? :)

daniel

scott spencer
06-28-2007, 5:41 AM
Try sending SC an email...I'm sure they'd be able to answer your question.

Ken Belisle
06-28-2007, 6:50 AM
If they are following the Biesemeyer model, the commercial fence is "beefier" than the home shop version.

From the Biesemeyer site:

Home - Fence tube is 1 1/2" x 2 1/2" Front Rail is 2" x 2"

Comm - Fence tube is 2" x 3" Front Rail is 3" x 2"

Hope that helped..........

Paul Douglass
06-28-2007, 11:23 AM
Try sending SC an email...I'm sure they'd be able to answer your question.

E-mail, they will respond. I don't even remember which one I got with my saw, but it is beefy! Love it.

daniel lane
06-28-2007, 11:48 AM
Thanks, guys.

Paul/Scott, I'm not sure why I didn't think of emailing them directly... :o

Travis Lavallee
06-28-2007, 12:06 PM
One of the differences is that the industrial fence has some extra 'gliders' attached to the bottom of it so its motion is much smoother than the deluxe model. Also, I think the rail is a lot more substantial on the industrial model. It was about 10 months ago when I went to check the two out and this is all I can remember.

George Lesniak
06-28-2007, 12:32 PM
The SC deluxe fence is very similar to the Biesemeyer in design. The SC industrial fence is a bit beefier, has the gliders which make the fence slide like it is on roller bearings and there are a pair of tabs on the rail end which eliminate any racking when sliding the fence side-to-side. Have you ever used a Biesemeyer style fence? If you release the tension on the fence completely and attempt to move the fence it will rack and bind. This is not the case with the SC industrial fence. The SC industrial fence also gives you access from underneath to change out the fence faces. So if you are not a fan of UHMW fence faces you can swap them out for Baltic birch rather easily.

I have the industrial, great fence.

George

daniel lane
06-28-2007, 3:40 PM
SCTW took about 3 hours to reply to my email, with a thorough explanation and strong recommendation for the industrial fence. Thanks to all! Also, when looking through the web site, I found that I could download the fence manuals as PDFs so I did that too.

daniel

Ed Hyatt
06-28-2007, 11:05 PM
I have the industrial fence which came with my SC TS, you can move it with one finger. It is a very good fence and TS, I would highly recommend it.

Ed