PDA

View Full Version : Juried Art Show

Curt Fuller
06-27-2007, 10:03 PM
The Eccles Community Art Center http://www.ogden4arts.org/ holds a statewide competition each year for Utah artists. My wife enters a couple of her paintings each year and even won the purchase award last year. This year she talked me into entering a couple woodturnings. I had a hard time deciding what I could enter because I don't really see my stuff as art, more like woodworking craft. I entered the burl bowl below and the goblet from this thread http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=60238
Well I got my notification today that both pieces were accepted. I was really surprised because I've never seen a woodturning in the show before. Then when I looked on their website it says the juror is Stephen “Woody” Shepherd, Assistant Professor of Drawing & Painting, Utah State University. With a nickname of "Woody" I guess that explains it. I won't find out until next week if I got double lucky and won any kind of award.

My wife also got one of her paintings accepted.

Bruce Shiverdecker
06-27-2007, 10:06 PM
Good Luck. Being accepted is the first WIN!

Bruce

Steve Kubien
06-27-2007, 10:11 PM
I wonder if this is the same Stephen Shepherd of "Compleat Early Nineteenth Century Woodworker" fame? I believe Utah is home for him. A true fountain of knowledge when it comes to handtools. Good luck with the show.

Steve Kubien

Joe Tonich
06-27-2007, 10:18 PM
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b156/jt6089/9.gif

Pete Jordan
06-27-2007, 10:26 PM
Curt,

I don't know why you hesitated, your work is wonderful. I will be surprised if you do not win an award.

Cory Martin
06-27-2007, 10:31 PM
Good luck Curt!!!

Travis Stinson
06-27-2007, 10:31 PM
Way to go Curt! Good luck. :cool:

Jim Shaver, Oakville Ont
06-27-2007, 10:42 PM
Way to go Curt,

Getting juried is always a stressful process, passing is a great statement on your work.

I have been juried into a few shows, it's a great feeling to know you are accepted, also you know it will attract the type of audience you want your work to be seen by.

Good Luck!:cool:

Jim Shaver, Oakville Ont
06-27-2007, 10:44 PM
I wonder if this is the same Stephen Shepherd of "Compleat Early Nineteenth Century Woodworker" fame? I believe Utah is home for him. A true fountain of knowledge when it comes to handtools. Good luck with the show.

Steve Kubien

I was wondering the same Steve...he is a good resource for hand tools....

I got your kind email, I am having an angiogram on Wednesday next week. All will be well, thanks for your kind email:)

Shane Whitlock
06-27-2007, 11:16 PM
Good luck Curt. I am sure you will do great, they are both wonderfull pieces.

Bernie Weishapl
06-28-2007, 12:53 AM
Congrats and good luck Curt. Let us know how it turns out.

Jonathon Spafford
06-28-2007, 3:52 AM
Way to go! Congrats on getting in... the pieces are both beautiful! Looking forward to hearing results!

Keith Burns
06-28-2007, 9:20 AM
Well deserved Curt !! Great pieces and good luck!!

Jim Becker
06-28-2007, 10:09 AM
That's excellent news, Curt...congratulations!

Paul Engle
06-28-2007, 10:23 AM
Congrats and good luck to you and your wife, Curt, yours looks like the twin to mine I entered in Sandpoint arts and craft show only there are thousands of starving artists in town (and I have a good job)..... :confused: or my work not good enough :rolleyes: ( see link http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=63560&d=1177867309 ) proably not good enuf with all the high class carvers and turners that live around here ...... naw, not bitter , just cornfused......:D , Be sure to let us know how you do !!! I like your burl, these off center turnings are kinda fun to spin huh?. Just wish I had an Escoulian chuck....and more burl.:D

Brian Brown
06-28-2007, 11:12 AM
Curt,

I have a hard time understanding why you don't consider your work art.

I had a hard time deciding what I could enter because I don't really see my stuff as art, more like woodworking craft.

Some people are born with a natural artistic ability, and some acquire it through various means. These means can include formal education, or just observance of the beauty and artistry of the world around them. I am most impressed by the people that become artists by this observation. I don't know how you came about your artistic skills, but have no doubt that they are present. Having looked at your work posted here over the years, I have no doubt that you are an artist, and your work is art. Wheter intentional or not, the "rules" that guide artists are evident in your work. Good examples of line, form, dimension, composition, and color harmony along with other guiding principles of art are displayed in your work. Sure craft (craftmanship) is an important element. Without craftmanship (aka technique), artists could not execute their artistic vision. The two are intertwined. So, next time you have a chance to enter your "art" in a jurried show, don't hesitate. Your medium may be different, but it still displays excellent artistry.

Good luck.

Brian

Mark Cothren
06-28-2007, 11:25 AM
Way to go, Curt - and good luck!

Keith Burns
06-28-2007, 12:26 PM
Curt,

I have a hard time understanding why you don't consider your work art.

Some people are born with a natural artistic ability, and some acquire it through various means. These means can include formal education, or just observance of the beauty and artistry of the world around them. I am most impressed by the people that become artists by this observation. I don't know how you came about your artistic skills, but have no doubt that they are present. Having looked at your work posted here over the years, I have no doubt that you are an artist, and your work is art. Wheter intentional or not, the "rules" that guide artists are evident in your work. Good examples of line, form, dimension, composition, and color harmony along with other guiding principles of art are displayed in your work. Sure craft (craftmanship) is an important element. Without craftmanship (aka technique), artists could not execute their artistic vision. The two are intertwined. So, next time you have a chance to enter your "art" in a jurried show, don't hesitate. Your medium may be different, but it still displays excellent artistry.

Good luck.

Brian

Well said Brian !!!

Bill Wyko
06-28-2007, 1:41 PM
Looks like a winner to me. I wish you the best of luck. That's a georgous piece.

Curt Fuller
06-29-2007, 10:58 PM
Well, I found out today that I didn't win any of the awards. But I'm still pretty excited about having some of my work displayed in the same gallery as all the other fantastic work in the show.

Steve Schlumpf
06-30-2007, 12:32 AM
Curt - congrats on getting into the show! You do beautiful work and deserve all the recognition you can get!

Dennis Peacock
06-30-2007, 12:37 PM
Good Luck Curt and Congrats on the win. :D

Ernie Nyvall
06-30-2007, 10:43 PM
You did some beautiful work for it though. Really nice Curt.