PDA

View Full Version : Latest paint-grade built-in

Todd Burch
01-14-2004, 12:37 AM
Fine woodworking? No. Good craftsmanship? I did my best. Customer pleased? Tickled pink.

Well, this one went pretty fast. From order to installation complete took 8 days, with some of that time spent on other projects. Basically, a couple base cabinets, 2 face frames, a countertop, a shelf assembly, and 8 doors.

The specs:

1) Client didn't want to see any wires
2) They needed it done fast (Homeowner is having a bunko party on the 20th!)
3) They wanted doors across some existing shelves and wanted the new cabinetry to match
4) Do whatever else I thought they might want (I love it when they let go of the reigns!)

There were a few design challenges.

1) No sagging desired. The shelf would hold at least 4 electrical components, and have items displayed on top of the shelf, and the span was almost 53".

2) How to hide the wires

For the shelf, I created a torsion box on the bottom AND the top. The bottom is 3" thick and the top is 2" thick. I think I could drive my truck over it and have it not sag. I used plywood instead of MDF so that I could lift it to install it. I designed it on the side to rest on cleat that I mounted to the wall. The wall cleats were screwed to studs, level front to back and side-to-side across the opening. The shelf just slid in place, and with some shims and a few 2" nails, it ain't going nowhere.

For hiding the wiring, I did a few things. First, I installed a false back on the unit that is 1½" forward of the rear wall. I left the back 1½" of the countertop area countertop-less, which left the rear top of the cabinets open. On the shelf unit, I left it away from the back wall 1½" too. All wires will be dropped from the top to the bottom, right into the cabinet box.

To make my life easier in the installation, I left the backs off the cabinets. I had actually built the cabinets with backs, and after I thought about it for a while, and after running it past the client, I took the backs off. In doing that, no hassles with electric, speaker wire outlet, phone jack or video cabling. Phewww!! I was concerned that there might be integrity problems at first, but after the cabinets were screwed to studs, they did not budge a bit, and absolutely no racking.

I'll get a final picture after the homeowner has it painted (next couple days, I think) and gets the carpet tucked. Around here, you can get carpet tucked like this for about $35.

Another false back panel went up in the upper arched opening to bring the back forward and to not have such a deep, dark space. My two challenges here were 1) how to make a template to cut the arch, and 2) how to apply a nailer on the curved part of the arch, fast and efficiently. Both answers came to me quickly. As shown below, I taped a piece of ¼" MDF across the top of the opening, with the bottom corners at the ends of the arc. From the inside, I drew a pencil line along the corner. Pretty easy, huh?! Even with deviations in the sheetrock, it was close enough for a caulk job. Second, I took the same template for the arch and laid it across some scrap pine. I drew an arc as long and I could, then I drew another arc about ¾" away, as in concentric circles. I then cut two of these pieces out on the band saw. What a no-brainer! I shot 2" nails thru the curved pine pieces until I hit enough studs to fix them firmly in place. Then, a bunch of pin nails and the back was in place.

I needed a 1½" wide moulding for the front edge of the countertop. I grabbed a piece of 2 3/8" wide pre-primed chair rail and cut the bottom section off to leave about 1 9/16" inches. On install, I glued and nailed it about 1/32" proud on top, and used my handy-dandy Festool sander to bring it to level.

I made the 8 doors in less than a days work. They came out great. I used self closing overlay hinges since that was how I had to mount them on the open shelving. They turned out nice. No room for errors on these hinges. There are no adjustments for up/down or left right. If you are ½ a screw off, you're hosed.

Anyway, it's not much, but I enjoyed the project since it went so fast. And since it was fast, I think I even made a little $$ on it! (If I can do 12 more of these type jobs (quick ones) before April, that new machinery will be paid for, easy-like!

Todd.

(The first picture is a before shot. The 2nd to last image is a Sketchup drawing that I took all my cut-list measurements from. The last image is about 1/2 way through the install. )

Tyler Howell
01-14-2004, 8:34 AM
Look at all that Festool stuff going to work. Very nice as always Todd.

Finished product pix please.

Tyler

Dick Parr
01-14-2004, 8:36 AM
Very nice Todd. I love it when the wife want's something she is going to paint. It gets built twice as fast.

Keith Starosta
01-14-2004, 8:41 AM
For hiding the wiring, I did a few things. First, I installed a false back on the unit that is 1½" forward of the rear wall. I left the back 1½" of the countertop area countertop-less, which left the rear top of the cabinets open. On the shelf unit, I left it away from the back wall 1½" too. All wires will be dropped from the top to the bottom, right into the cabinet box.

Very cool! In one sentence, you helped me solve an issue I had been struggling with for a few weeks....how to hide wires.

I'm looking forward to seeing it all after paint. Excellent work, as always!

Keith

Kelly C. Hanna
01-14-2004, 9:54 AM
Very nice work Todd. I too have found another answer to the wire hiding problem. I have used the false back before, but never the torsion box!

Thanks for the pics! I like the Festool equipment too!

Chris Padilla
01-14-2004, 10:35 AM
Nice, Todd.

I am doing something similar for a friend although their alcove is much deeper and it is so out of square...it is a good trapezoid from a floorplan p.o.v.!

I laminated 3 sheets of 3/4" ply for a shelf to hold the TV (damn, I gotta get pics of this) and the front had a nice subtle arch on it. It was all maply ply with a maple edge-banded arch. I used Gorilla glue for the lamination.

I then plowed out a groove all around the 3 non-visible edges and slid it onto some wood runners that had been secured to the studs. As a final "let's make sure it stays put," I cut pocket holes in the bottom of the shelf and used 3" screws to further anchor it to the runners/studs.

So now the shelf floats within the alcove and holds a rather heavy TV. Eventually a cabinet will go below the floating TV shelf to house electronic goodies and couple more shelfs (2 sheets of lam. ply) will go above the TV.

Oh, and I was nearly done sanding the darn thing when I realized I didn't have a way for cables/wires to poke through! :rolleyes: Well out came the router and I carefully plowed a slot with one end of the slot being larger thanks to a Forstner bit. I had fun with my PC-121 osc. spindle sander cleaning up the slot although it certainly wasn't necessary.

The couple I am doing this for just had a baby so this work is for material cost only but I am learning a lot!

John Scarpa
01-14-2004, 11:37 AM
Todd,
I'm constantly amazed at your ability to intuitively solve problems as you go. I learned a great deal studying your text and viewing the pictures and drawing. Very nice work. I like how you recognized at dealt with the problem of having a dark area above the shelf.

I didn't miss the fact that you made a cut list from your sketchup drawing. That in itself is one powerful tool. Also I bet it was nice having that Festool sander/vac combination that didnt make a mess in your client's home.
Great job!
John

Brad Schafer
01-14-2004, 11:51 AM
todd - you continue to do wonderful work. very, very nice,

b

Jason Tuinstra
01-14-2004, 4:29 PM
Hey Todd, I agree with Tyler. I like how that grey and green stuff just happend to get in the picture. :p

Great looking work. I can't wait to see it all finished. It's going to look real nice I'm sure. Thanks for sharing.

Jason