PDA

View Full Version : What I learned in the shop today....

Jim Izat
03-01-2003, 10:09 PM
I thought I might share what I learned in the shop today on my assembly table/bench project.

I saw a bench project on the cover of (I think) American Woodworker a while back that got me started thinking it was time to make one of my own. A week ago when I realized I needed the assembly space for the bed I was working on, I got started.

I decided to make the top from pine as it was cheap, and there was no way I was going to use hardwood on a first attempt at strip lamination. I'm pretty glad I didn't. I ripped three inch strips from the 2x10s I bought at HD and let them sit over a couple three nights in the shop. Then I jointed and planed them to a final dimension of 1 3/8 by 2 7/8. I made a total of 27 strips. While the squaring up job wasn't perfect, it was pretty good. Then, of course, they sat in the shop for two more days until I could start gluing them up. I decided to glue them up in fives as that width would fit on my jointer but six wouldn't.

I was a little surprised to see that those strips that were quartersawn retained their straightness and squareness very well, while those that were slash or plainsawn by and large did not. Not detered by either experience or common sense, I dove right in and glued them up any way because I didn't want the top to turn out 3/4" thick!

Turns out the individual glue ups didn't turn out too badly. I used my besseys to pull the laminations approaching flat when necessary, and then set them aside to cook. I pulled each one from the clamps and face jointed it, edge jointed one side square to the now flat side, ripped the other side parallel and then planed to finish. I didn't lose too much dimension with either operation. The 2 3/4 x 6 1/2 inch blanks I ended up with didn't deflect at all in the planer which was a good thing.

I guess the only thing I could have done to improve this process was to sticker the construction lumber I used until it dried to maybe 12% but patience never has been my strong suit.

Tomorrow I'll glue up the top (using biscuits for alignment), throw it across a couple sawhorses when it's dry and build the rest of the bench on it.

Overall I'm pleased with my fumbling first attempt at large scale lamination, and I encourage anyone else who (like me) is hesitant to tackle the job to give it a shot. Those who are truly courageous can do it with hardwood the first time. I'm glad I used pine. Some day when I come across some hardwood that looks like it'll make a good top I'll replace the pine. Until then I won't have to cringe everytime I drop a chisel on it.

Thanks for letting me ramble on. I've never talked to anyone who'd done this before, I thought it might be helpful to share my experience with someone who hadn't had the chance either.

Jim Izat

Ruby in NC
03-02-2003, 5:58 AM
Jim, keep us updated on how everything turns out. Pix of your bench, if you can, will be nice, too.

Good luck with the rest of the assembly.

Regards,
Ruby

Dennis McDonaugh
03-02-2003, 10:54 AM
Hey Jim, I went through that exercise about two months ago. This is my prototype bench because I too didn't want to practice on maple. Here's a couple things I learned. I used a jack plane and a smoother to flatten the top after glue up because my alignment wasn't that great. It went really well because there was no twist to the top, just uneven boards. Then I put poly on the top--big mistake. After a couple of weeks I had about 3/8 to 1/2 of crown in the top. So, I get out the scrub plane and flatten it again. A couple of hours of work and I'm ready to smooth it with the jack and smoother. This time I put tung oil on the top and now it has started to go back the other way, I'm getting a low spot in the middle. I guess I should have just sanded the poly off and waited to see if it'd go straighten itself out. I made the bench too high, when I ripped long pieces on the table saw they'd hit the bench. I took the top off and planed 1/2 inch off the top of the base. Now I'm using it and making notes about what I like and what I'd like to change.

Rick Potter
03-03-2003, 11:00 AM
Dennis,

If I understand this, you planed 1/2" off an entire bench top by hand??

Wow. You must be one buffed out studmuffin.

Rick Potter

Steve Jenkins
03-03-2003, 11:24 AM
When you rip pieces out of a larger board let them sit at least overnight to help relieve any stresses in them. Often-times an hour or two after ripping they will start to bend or twist. Sometimes right off the saw. When you put the finish on apply it to both faces not jsut the top. If you finish only one side it will absorb and release moisture unequally and will warp. When the top is just sitting around waiting for legs set it on edge don't lay it on the floor or if unfinished flat on sawhorses. the same moisture problem occur. It sounds like you are both off to a good start. Steve

Dennis McDonaugh
03-03-2003, 11:38 AM
Yeah Rick, it was 1/2" in the middle, but it was crowned so I didn't have to take the 1/2" across the width. I used a LN 40 and it took off about 1/16" on each stroke and each stroke was only about 12" long so it wasn't really hard. I was surprised by how quickly I could see the top flatten out.