PDA

View Full Version : Wedding gift help please

Jerry Strojny
06-27-2007, 8:44 PM
Ok, here's the idea. My friiend and I are thinking of making a clock for our buddy. It would be a "simple" wall clock with a pendulum movement. So picture about 28" tall, 12-14" wide, 3-4" thick. Bottom half would have glass to see pendent, top half face of clock. Here's where the percieved issue comes in. We would like the face of the clock to be a "slab" of wood. With the bark still on it. Maybe 7" dia. He really likes the rustic look.

The concerns I have are related to
1) how to deal with the "checking" of the thin slab, and
2) how to deal with the the limited shaft length on the movement.

I think the thickest I could make the "slab" would be about a 1/2". I'm thinking this slab is just going to fall apart way to easy, even if it's glued to a "backboard". And then do you wait for the "slab" to dry out and check all it wants before you glue it to the backboard? Should as person seal it like a woodturning project?

I'm all questions and no answers. Any words of advice?

John Hulett
06-27-2007, 10:09 PM
Thicker slab, then bore out w/ forsner bit to make room for the shaft, etc...:confused:

Jerry Strojny
06-28-2007, 8:39 AM
Looks like most people feel the same way.....yep those are questions, no answers.

How thick would I need to make it so it wouldn't look strange in a clock? Is this even a good idea?