PDA

View Full Version : Glueing stainless steel to BB ply ?

Doug Shepard
06-27-2007, 6:49 PM
Any ideas for glue to attach some stainless steel to plywood? JB Weld? Liquid Nails? I may be able to countersink and put some screws through it to but want to keep these to a minumum if possible. These will be 1" rings with an outer diam of 8". Dont have the SS yet so dont know the gauge, but nothing so thick it cant be cut with a jigsaw.

Michael Schwartz
06-27-2007, 7:44 PM
Whatever adhesive you use make sure you clean it very thoroughly with a solvent such as acetone, all mettles are covered with mill scale and oil which the glue just won't stick too. I would probably use Epoxy, just make sure you clamp it up real good, people make the mistake of thinking epoxy doesn't need clamping presure all the time.

If the scews don't need to be flush just use a washer head screw, even better one with a self drilling head, so you can just shoot it in.

A jigsaw should work fine to cut it, a sawzall might be a bit faster. Just make sure you have a bunch of extra blades on hand, and change them as soon as they start to dull.

If you wan't the mettal to be flush with the sides of the plywood, just cut it big, and use a Carbide Tipped bering guided strait bit that is appropriate for routing metal, keep your passes lite and slow.

A circular saw and mettal cutting blade would be the fastest and leave the straightest cut, although it will make lots of sparks and shoot little shards of metal arround in the process. Mettal cutting circular saws have added guards for this reason, but a regular one will work, but I would recommend wearing a face sheild and long sleeves.

Robert Waddell
06-27-2007, 7:54 PM
Ah, a question with a two part answer! Epoxy
Rob

Alex Berkovsky
06-27-2007, 8:33 PM
http://www.thistothat.com

Bruce Page
06-27-2007, 9:12 PM
Doug, I glued some aluminum shield plates to protect my plywood grinder bench top from sparks. Gorilla Glue worked great on it.

Jeff Eiber
06-27-2007, 9:27 PM
3M 5200 (not fast cure)

Jerry Strojny
06-27-2007, 9:41 PM
Epoxy is what I used to attach markerboard steel to mdf. Gorilla glue and liquid nails just didn't hold good enough. It's been on the wall a few years, nothing has moved. The piece of metal is 4 feet by 6 feet.

daniel lane
06-27-2007, 11:01 PM
http://www.thistothat.com

Alex,

Great website, thanks for the link! As for the OP, I'd have to agree with epoxy - I've always had luck with that, but I've never glued anything terribly large... *shrug*

daniel

Peter Pedisich
06-27-2007, 11:07 PM
Doug, many years ago a shop I worked at did the cabinets for a magor airport in western PA. We had to adhere many sheets of Stainless to 3/4" shop grade birch (not BB) and clear silicone adhesive did the trick.

Pete