PDA

View Full Version : Versalaser VLS3.50

Robert Hoeft
06-27-2007, 2:28 PM
Has anyone had experience with the new ULS Versalaser equiped with the new High Power Density Focusing Optics? My question is would this be a big improvement for vector cutting wood products, would it vector cut cleaner and faster?

If I buy a new ULS 50 watt machine and 85% of my work is vector cutting 1/8 and 1/4 plywood, would my best option be the HPDFO lens which has a .0013 dia. beam or could I do as well with a 1.5 inch lens with a .003 dia. beam as opposed to a 2 inch lens with a .005 dia. beam. All help or input appreciated.

Mike Mackenzie
06-27-2007, 3:18 PM
Robert,

The HPDFO optics do get you the smallest spot size in the industry however you have very little focus tolerances. IE you must be focused very good if the material varies it will change focus and your spot will increase as well as the kerf angle.

Ideally that optic package is better suited for other applications not for wood cutting applications. Actually the 2.0 lens is probably the best bet for cutting it keeps the optics away from the debris (less lens cleaning) as well it has a straighter cut less angle because the focus tolerance is more forgiving.

The 1.5 lens also does a good job for cutting however you also have less focus tolerance and you are closer to the work pc. but due to the smaller spot you have a better power density.

The difference between the 2.0 and the 1.5 is probably minimal but unless you have a specific need or use for the HPDFO I would not get it for wood cutting applications only.

Don't get me wrong you can use the HPDFO for cutting but I would recommend seeing it in action so you will be able to see the differences.

Rob Bosworth
06-28-2007, 12:16 PM
I would think the 2" fl. lens will give you the straightest/ perpendicular edge when cutting 1/8 and 1/4 thick material. Using either a 1.5" fl lens or the HPDFO assembly will either give you an hourglass shaped edge, or an angled cut edge, depending on where you set focus. You might even have to run the machine a little slower to cut the 1/4" thk. wood using the shorter focal length optics. You might be dealing with a .003" dia. beam at the entry point, but it might flair out to .012" dia on the outlet side.