PDA

View Full Version : Willow Cigar pen

Jim Podsedly
06-27-2007, 2:19 PM
Here is a cigar pen made from Willow.

The wood came from a willow tree my Dad planted some 37 years ago. It was one of the first trees planted on our little family farm in NE Ohio.

Well it finally had to come down and i was able to grab up quite a few logs. I am sure my siblings will appreciate pens made from a little peice of that old farm.

Turning it was very easy. And the pen is almost like a pearl - changes color depending on the light hitting it.

Jim

Paul Heely
06-27-2007, 2:26 PM
Nice looking pen. What a nice way to preserve a part of your family history. I'm sure your siblings will appreciate the pens.

--
Paul

Pete Jordan
06-27-2007, 2:34 PM
Very nice Jim!

Welcome to the neighborhood.

Steve Schlumpf
06-27-2007, 2:36 PM
Great looking pen Jim!

Patrick Taylor
06-27-2007, 2:56 PM
It's great to have memories in a turned piece. Also, the grain does look really great, especially near the grip.

Jim Podsedly
06-27-2007, 3:31 PM
Thanks for all the comments.

I thought i read somewhere that willow is no fun to turn. It turned out to be very easy and seemed quite soft and light.

Most of the pieces from the tree are basically white with little grain detail. This piece had a little detail and what really is neat is the opal or pearl color in the grip. Hard to see in the picture but it is truely a sight.

Jim Shaver, Oakville Ont
06-27-2007, 7:31 PM
Hey Jim,

Great pen and I love the personal connection to it's beginings~!

Jeffrey Fusaro
06-27-2007, 11:45 PM
Hey Jim,

Great pen and I love the personal connection to it's beginings~!

couldn't agree more.

well done!

Bernie Weishapl
06-27-2007, 11:46 PM
Beautiful pen. Great job with some good looking wood.

Jonathon Spafford
06-28-2007, 3:54 AM
That pen's got a cool history! It looks great and I love your finish... what kind did you use???

Jim Podsedly
06-28-2007, 6:50 AM
That pen's got a cool history! It looks great and I love your finish... what kind did you use???

I sanded up to 600 grit and then used EEE ultra shine and then shellawax.

Looking for other types of finishes to use but that is the one i was shown in class and familiar with.