PDA

View Full Version : Here's the beauty ring turned

Bill Wyko
06-27-2007, 1:15 PM
Here's a pic of the beauty ring turned. I'm still on the fence wheather or not it's going to look right with the rest of the piece. I'm going to finish it and see the end results. If I don't like it I'll cut it out and do something else. I still have about 8 inches to go though. One more thing, the top 2 rings are just sitting on it. They still need a pass through the drum sander.

Patrick Taylor
06-27-2007, 1:18 PM
Wow! I love the composition of the rings. Nice design!

Bill Wyko
06-27-2007, 1:34 PM
Thanks. I don't know if you can tell but the Monterillo (the main structure) is grain matched.

Bill Wyko
06-27-2007, 3:23 PM
Just for everyone's info. When turning Monterillo.....it smells like POOP.:eek:

Nancy Laird
06-27-2007, 3:24 PM
Bill, that's going to be a STUNNING piece when it's done.

Wow!

Nancy

Jim Podsedly
06-27-2007, 3:33 PM
It may smell like poop but it looks amazing. Great job!

Bill Wyko
06-27-2007, 3:46 PM
Thanks very much. I guess I should tell you the list of woods. Monterillo, Black limba, Curly Maple, Wenge, Walnut (veneer for the tiny stripes) and the Turquoise. (I think that's it) One of the things I set out to do on this one was try many different techniques to achieve patterns. This has been a very challenging piece to build. I hope I don't blow it to pieces before I'm done.:) If I make it to the end it should be 22 inches tall, 13-1/2 wide and be about 2000 pieces. Right now I'm up to 1016 pieces.:o Keep your fingers crossed for me.:) One more little thing. This is my 15th piece ever.:)

Paul Engle
06-27-2007, 4:11 PM
Yea, it looks a little off on the large part with the diamond. least the pic shows it off. other wise you could send it to me and I could use it:eek: :D .

Bill Wyko
06-27-2007, 5:16 PM
:D I keep thinking the ring is too big too. But it is going to get another ring like the one below the beauty ring and I think that should balance it out. If not it'll go to the incra jig and become business card holders.:eek:

Bernie Weishapl
06-28-2007, 12:57 AM
Beautiful Bill. I really like this one. Awesome job.

Jonathon Spafford
06-28-2007, 4:06 AM
Great work so far... lotsa nice detail work! I'm looking forward to seeing it finished!

Tyler Howell
06-28-2007, 10:54 AM
Wow!!
I give up!

Bill Wyko
06-28-2007, 1:25 PM
Yea, it looks a little off on the large part with the diamond. least the pic shows it off. other wise you could send it to me and I could use it:eek: :D .
Well, after stacking more rings it starts to look more proportionate to the rest of the vessel. Now that I'm getting towards the top it looks like it'll be around 24 to 26 inches tall. In the pic it's at 16 inches so it still has some growing to do. Unfortunatly, I have to get all my drywall backing and electrical done. The sheetrocker is comming the 7th. I guess that's good news, it just holds me up from finishing my piece.:oBTW anyone who may have noticed the area between the indian blankets, that's not a gap, I just haven't cleaned up the glue squeeze out. I know, it looks bad.:o