PDA

View Full Version : New Oneway 1236SD Lathe

Paul Heely
06-27-2007, 1:03 PM
Oneway has some pictures of the new lathe up on their home page. Not much info though.

--
Paul

Patrick Taylor
06-27-2007, 1:06 PM
Hmm, why would one want to tilt the ways 90 deg. towards you? :confused:

Paul Heely
06-27-2007, 1:07 PM
So you don't have to lean over the bed to hollow something out, maybe.... :confused:

--
Paul

Patrick Taylor
06-27-2007, 1:09 PM
So you don't have to lean over the bed to hollow something out, maybe.... :confused:

--
Paul

But wouldn't the ways get in the way of the tool handle, depending on the cut?

Paul Heely
06-27-2007, 1:13 PM
Yup, it sure could. I'm out of ideas.

--
Paul

Keith Burns
06-27-2007, 1:14 PM
Someone said the other day, can't remember who, that you could sit down and turn. I've always lusted for a big Oneway, but looking at the pictures of the new one, I don't think I would want it.

Patrick Taylor
06-27-2007, 1:16 PM
Someone said the other day, can't remember who, that you could sit down and turn. I've always lusted for a big Oneway, but looking at the pictures of the new one, I don't think I would want it.

It would be hard to get the right "sway" motion for smooth curves if you're sitting down.:confused: Besides, if I'm paying Oneway prices, I want more swing than 12".

Keith Burns
06-27-2007, 1:21 PM
I agree Patrick, I don't know how you could get in the zone either. Also with it in the horizontal position to adjust the tool rest you have an extra step. Will be interesting to see the reports for sure.

Patrick Taylor
06-27-2007, 1:21 PM
Someone said the other day, can't remember who, that you could sit down and turn.

From the oneway site: be prepared to sit down and be amazed!

Maybe you're right....

Gordon Seto
06-27-2007, 2:03 PM
It is a variation of the VB-36 design. When hollowing the inside, you can drop the tool handle without hitting the ways.

A lot of the woodturners are seniors; they don't have to give up turning if they are able to sit down while turning when their replacement knees are not working as well as they used to. At that stage of life, they don't have the physical ability to chuck up a big blank. There is lot of nice stuff you can do on a 10" mini lathe. A 12" swing is more than whatever they need.

It may not be a bad idea to trade the 2436 for this 1236 SD when moving to the assisted living facility.

At the two Clubs that I belong to, you will see more hearing aids than body piercings and tattoos. The off-topic conversations are usually health care related. Most of members are retired or close to retiring.

Gordon

Jim Becker
06-27-2007, 2:36 PM
That be different!!!

Patrick Taylor
06-27-2007, 2:54 PM
It is a variation of the VB-36 design. When hollowing the inside, you can drop the tool handle without hitting the ways.

I guess that would be helpful at times. And I agree that a lot can be done on a small lathe (I have a 10") but I guess I was hoping the new design would be something in the class that I'm currently looking at. oh well...

Steven Wilson
06-27-2007, 3:02 PM
My guess it's for sitting down. Could be usefull for production spindle turning or handicap accessability.

Frank Kobilsek
06-27-2007, 5:35 PM
I've never seen it but I know a guy that has made a bench to sit in when he turns. The seat is basically a skate board that he can roll his butt on from one end of the lathe to the other.

Frank

Steve Kubien
06-27-2007, 10:16 PM
Think wheelchairs and people who cannot stand for any length of time. Also, think of people with chronic back, neck, shoulder or arm problems. Sure would be easier for those folks to access the inside of a bowl without having to lean over the ways. I think it's a great thing especially when you consider that the North American population is aging.

Steve Kubien

Bill Simpson
06-29-2007, 9:49 PM
Think about it. Some of us have to sit in a wheeled chair and cannot stand at a lathe. I think it is grand the Oneway is producing a lathe that a turner can Sit Down (note: the model no. is 1236SD... SD means Sit Down) Fellows have been trying for years to figure how to safely and comfotable use a lathe while sitting down. Hats off to them. Wish I could afford one.

Roger Bell
06-29-2007, 11:06 PM
I saw it today in Portland at AAW. Its pretty cool and meets the needs of an emerging group of turners.

Steven Russell
06-30-2007, 8:12 AM
Hello to the group,

I have several friends that may benefit from a design like this however, until someone can actually get their hands on one and use it, the functionality and ergonomics is unknown.

Gary Garmar
06-30-2007, 8:45 AM
Take a good look at the symposium pictures(Portland) on the MyFamily website and you will see that the average age of represented turner(s) is strikingly of the senior category. Not a dig, I'm in that category myself. But it does show that the new Oneway just might be right on.

Randy Rhine
06-30-2007, 11:44 AM
I have to admit, when I first heard of this "sit down" lathe, I was skeptical. Bu then I saw it first hand yesterday and chatted with the designer (Kevin Clay) a bit. It's a nice lathe, very well designed. It can be used both in the traditional stand-up postion as well as the sit-down position. I think they have another winner.

randy

joe greiner
06-30-2007, 12:18 PM
They're addressing an untapped niche in the market. One of the lads in our woodturning club uses a wheelchair; I think he has to sit sideways to the lathe, which isn't a perfect stance. We probably don't realize it, but there are numerous folks in that situation. On some forums using nicknames, names such as "wheels", "wheelie" and such can be a clue, but most others don't make a big deal of it. Up until now, they've had to make do with various workarounds, including tilting the benchtop or lathe mounting base.

Oneway's web site has "patent pending" splashed across the pictures. I couldn't find their application or an issued patent in the USPTO database; could contain some of the design philosophy in their specification. It's my imperfect understanding that the applications aren't available in the database until a year or so after the application. Wait and see, I guess.

Joe