PDA

View Full Version : Had 'nuff of HD, here's a good reason to switch.

Bill Lewis
06-27-2007, 12:07 PM
After all of the HD bashing stories, I thought I'd throw in a good customer story. Not from HD mind you, but rather from some of the lumberyeard and contractor stores I use instead.

A couple of weeks ago I had a DR.'s appt. so I combined it with taking care of some material ordering I needed to get done for the new garage project.

I first stopped by The Roof Center to order 16 square of siding I needed. Hardi-plank, color-plus (woodland cream), beaded cedarmill. I went to the counter guy I had been working with, and told him what I needed, and that I needed it by Friday becasue my siding guy was going to start on Saturday. He checked the computer for stock, but none of the stores showed enough inventory, so he told me he would have to check with the supplier which didn't open until 8. I gave him my CC number and to place the order then went to the lumberyard about a mile away to order some Azek trim from my inside sales guy I know there.

I got my Azek ordered, and going to the inside sales guy saved me about $200 over ordering at the counter, plus free delivery, when I wanted it (as early as that afternoon).

I then went back to the Roof Center to check on the siding before heading out to my Dr.'s appointment. When I walked in, the guy had my ticket all ready to sign and I was told the siding would be there on Friday.

Come Friday I get a call from my wife, she told me the order had been delivered, but it was "cedarmill select". Which is the same siding but without the beaded edge. Well that wouldn't do so I called the store and told them. The sales guy looked it up, and sure enough the order was correct in the computer, so he told me he would call me back to let me know what they could do about it. About a half an hour later I get a call from my wife, the sales guy came out to the house and checked the order again. Shortly thereafter the sales guy called me back and told me they would be sending a truck to my house to pick up the order and take it back to the supplier in Baltimore. They were then going to bring me the correct material on the return trip. So even though it was the supplier's fault they made it right. Kudos to them.

I really enjoy giving my business to places like these. I get friendly personalized service, better product quality, real product knowledge, delivery to my door, or I can drive through the yard and have it loaded on my pcikup for me, all this for the same or better price than HD etc... Oh, and I have an account with the lumberyard so I can get billed on a monthly basis if I like (with a discount for early paying). BTW, you don't have to be a contractor to go to these places either, I'm not.

What's not to love.