PDA

View Full Version : Not sure who to be miffed at

Scott Coffelt
06-27-2007, 11:01 AM
Well, this summer I have been installing new Jeld-Wen windows in my house. I have a total of 29 windows getting redone. So I order them all, get a call they arrive. I pick up about 6 at a time, cause that's all that is fitting in my truck. I am on one of my last trips and I see that 4 windows have busted nail fins on the bottom. I realize that structurally they have no real impact, but from a seal perspective it's just one more line of defense again moisture finding it's way inside. I refuse to take them and ask for new ones. After about a week of HD manager calling my trying to get me to take $100 per window off, he finally orders them. At the same time we realize the order lady (and me for not catching it) did not order 2 windows. I get these on order as well. Last week I get a call and my 2 new windows are in, but the replacements are not. Show up to the store to pick them up. Nice lasy at front desk tells me that the 2 are not in, but the replacement frames are, however, they need to take the sashes out of the damaged and install int he new frames. I say OK, be done and ready for me to pick up bright and early, CORRECT? Yep, so I show up at 10am (OK, not so bright and early as I was bushed and slep in a little). Yep, not done, not sure where the old windows are at. Of course I think I called them a bunch of monkey's, I did stay away from $%&* type langauge. I am there for another hour as they try and locate the windows. They find them, ahh finally, willing to deliver to me later that day. I stay and decide that there is no way I am trusting that. I proceed to help these guys remove and re-install sashes, thinking to myself, man I bet OSHA would have a field day. We get the first three done, get to the forth. No freaking way, they sent a frame for a casement window and this was a fixed. I can't wait another 3 weeks as that was the set of windows I was installing over the weekend. I decide to take the one with the damage. Load up the four windows, they guy says hey lets make this right... here's $50 (See above, they originally offered me $100). I said, well add another $100 to that and I guess we'll call it good. Out the door I went. So, my windows that were scheduled to arrive Friday didn't and the ones that were suppose to be here next week did. I get home, now I find that Jeld-Wen sent me one window with the wrong hing side, should have been RH and they sent LH. I quickly go through the house and order to make sure I didn't screw up, nope they did. Call HD tell them I need a new window. We'll see how long it takes to get this corrected. Sad part is they all know my order numbers now, which is never a good thing.

Sorry that I am long winded, but geez, I am not sure who to be the most pissed about the mfr or HD. The positive thing is I have installed 22 of the 29 windows so far. I am about 3 weeks ahead of my original schedule. I'll shot pics when done. It is a major project, but considering the fact that the original windows were almost all odd size, thus requiring framing, siding and other work. Add to that the wood rot I have have found, I am sure I save a pretty penny on insulation. Most of the windows are 36x72 casement and/or fixed, so they are big babies to lug around.

Matt Meiser
06-27-2007, 2:14 PM
Well, at least I know it wasn't just me. Pretty much the same story for me, but mine were Anderson. Guess its not the supplier either.

David G Baker
06-27-2007, 3:49 PM
While I lived in California I was going to buy, repair and sell homes, unfortunately HD was the only convenient supplier in my area. I tried using them a couple of times for special order windows for the house I lived in. It took them 3 months to get the order right. I canceled my plans to flip houses.
The order was 100% correct when the HD guy finished with me, the order was messed up at the supplier or in HD submitting the order.

Matt Meiser
06-27-2007, 4:12 PM
Our front door is a Home Depot misorder that they then had to clear out for about 1/3 of the original cost. The one guy told me they tried 5 times. Swung on the wrong side, side lite on the wrong side, swung out instead of in, out instead of in on the wrong side, etc. They were virtually giving away the ones that swung out.

We found it one of the times we were in the store getting the above situation worked out.