PDA

View Full Version : I even have more respect now.....

Bill Huber
06-27-2007, 9:41 AM
I have always had the up-most respect for the craftsmen that I see on this forum. But now I have even more.
I built another shop cabinet last week and on this one I put panel doors and not drawers. I built 2 sets of doors, the first set just did not come out very good, the joints were not good and the 45s did not match up like they should.
I used the Dowelmax for dowels on all the joints on the frame and the joints on the doors, I really love that tool.
This again is just pine and nothing really fancy at all but building the door was a real job for me. I did find that without question it is best to use the CMS to cut the 45s, I guess its always best to bring the blade to the wood and not the wood to the blade when you can.
I think now I will build something else with panel doors just to give me more practice in making them.

So after building a set of panel doors my respect has really grown for the craftsmen here that do it all the time and have beautiful furniture when they are though.

The pulls are different at this time, HD screwed up and had both types in the same bin. So I need to run by and get another one like the one on the left.

Al Willits
06-27-2007, 9:51 AM
Remember, we're probably our own worst critic, it may help...:)

Don't feel bad, as a newbie I have a garage full of stuff that go from "what in the heck is that?" to "kinda looks like a cabinet huh?", take your time and it'll come to ya....least in my case I'm hoping it will...

Its a frustrating hobby we have taken up, lots of patience is required...or a sacrificial board to beat on when it all goes down the tubes.

Remember its a hobby and it will get better...:D

Al....looks fine to me btw

Jim Becker
06-27-2007, 11:14 AM
I think that's a fine looking cabinet! Great job!

(You may want to rotate that one knob so that the "brushing" is in the same direction as the other one...can you tell I'm a very anal person? LOL :D :D :D )

Per Swenson
06-27-2007, 11:18 AM
Bill,

Craftsman smaftsman,,,,

Let me let you in on a little secret, the so called hobbyist's here,

your self included, produce far superior work then most of the stuff

I get away with selling.

I think you guys try to hard sometimes though and get wrapped up

in the perfection.

And I agree 100% with Al.

Per

Alan Tolchinsky
06-27-2007, 11:21 AM
Bill, That looks great! As stated we all have things that didn't work out the way we wanted the first time. I've redone many things and just chaulked it up to the learning process. If you're not making any mistakes that means you're not making anything. :) Cheers, Alan

John Schreiber
06-27-2007, 12:48 PM
Craftsman smaftsman,,,,
I understand what Per is saying, but there is a lot to be said for recognizing just how hard it is to do some of these tasks. The craftsmanship on this forum deserves a lot of respect.

The professionals and experienced hobbyists make it look easy. It looks easy when they do it because they have learned hundreds of little tricks and tips along the way.

I heard it said once. "An amateur practices until they get it right. A professional practices until they never get it wrong." I think there's something to that.

mike roe
06-27-2007, 12:52 PM
I really like how the miters of the doors and the frame accent each other. It gives the cabinet depth - tying the doors into the whole design.

sometimes, to me, doors on cabinets look like they are not really a part of the cabinet - like they are an afterthought - but yours looks great.

Duncan Crawford
06-27-2007, 1:10 PM
Looks good to me... my older daughter has a phrase to describe my efforts when doing 'furniture' for her room when she was a kid: "Hmmm... Daddy early rabbit cage era." Does put things in perspective and keep the hat size in check :-)

Bill Huber
06-28-2007, 9:03 AM
I think that's a fine looking cabinet! Great job!

(You may want to rotate that one knob so that the "brushing" is in the same direction as the other one...can you tell I'm a very anal person? LOL :D :D :D )

I took care of that, took the wrong one back to HD and got the right one. I should have learned by now not to just grab 2 items from the bin without looking.
I have had many times were thing are all mixed up in the same bin at HD so I should be checking every time I get more then one item.

Bill Huber
06-28-2007, 9:09 AM
I understand what Per is saying, but there is a lot to be said for recognizing just how hard it is to do some of these tasks. The craftsmanship on this forum deserves a lot of respect.

The professionals and experienced hobbyists make it look easy. It looks easy when they do it because they have learned hundreds of little tricks and tips along the way.

I heard it said once. "An amateur practices until they get it right. A professional practices until they never get it wrong." I think there's something to that.

I would say that people like Per are selling their skills short, they make this stuff like it was nothing, it takes me a week to make one little 2 door cabinet and then I have to make part of it twice.

I guess that would be a very good statement, and I do a lot of practicing all the time.
I have had my dovetail jig for over a month, I spend a lot of time looking at it but have not had the guts to cut one yet....

Bill Huber
06-28-2007, 9:12 AM
Bill, That looks great! As stated we all have things that didn't work out the way we wanted the first time. I've redone many things and just chaulked it up to the learning process. If you're not making any mistakes that means you're not making anything. :) Cheers, Alan

In my case that is 100% true..... :D

Bill Huber
06-28-2007, 9:18 AM
I really like how the miters of the doors and the frame accent each other. It gives the cabinet depth - tying the doors into the whole design.

sometimes, to me, doors on cabinets look like they are not really a part of the cabinet - like they are an afterthought - but yours looks great.

Thanks, now if I can just remember to put the toe plate on the outside of the sides and not the inside.
This is my third cabinet and I have done and I have done it on everyone of them, when it comes time to put it in I cut it to the in side measurements and put it in, then after the glue is dry I notice what I have done.
The next time I do it I am going to pull it out and do it over.

Mike Goetzke
06-28-2007, 9:55 AM
Looks good to me. I'm just a weekend woodworker but I have made quite a few panel doors and if you don't know already miter corners are harder to construct than cope/stick (at least for me). How did you cut the miters? I learned very quickly that a miter saw is not accurate enough. I had to make a 45 deg sled for my TS. It's hard to explain but the error in the angle subtracts on the sled and accumulates on the miter saw.

Practice-practice-practice.....

Mike

Mike Cutler
06-28-2007, 12:02 PM
Looks fine to me Bill, but Per is right. We need to keep everything in perspective at times.

Get that dovetail jig out, put some wood in it and let it rip. Don't wait to figure it out until the time that you actually need it.

Here are two good tips.

Quikwood.
Mohawk Finishing Products.

;)

Bill Huber
06-28-2007, 4:42 PM
Looks good to me. I'm just a weekend woodworker but I have made quite a few panel doors and if you don't know already miter corners are harder to construct than cope/stick (at least for me). How did you cut the miters? I learned very quickly that a miter saw is not accurate enough. I had to make a 45 deg sled for my TS. It's hard to explain but the error in the angle subtracts on the sled and accumulates on the miter saw.

Practice-practice-practice.....

Mike

The first set I used the TS on and they were just not that good. Then I did some test cuts on the CMS and got it set just the way I wanted and used it.
I am working on a sled for the future, I am going to use some of the different designs I have seen here and some I have found on the net and some of my own ideas.
When I get it done I WILL BE ABLE TO MAKE TWO DOORS FOR A TWO DOOR CABINET, not four.

Tom Veatch
06-28-2007, 6:58 PM
... I should have learned by now not to just grab 2 items from the bin without looking.
I have had many times were thing are all mixed up in the same bin at HD so I should be checking every time I get more then one item.

It's not just a Home Depot problem, but one that exists in any "warehouse" that allows customers access to the stock. More time than I care to count, my second trip is not to get what I forgot, but to return and replace the mis-stocked item(s) I got the first time. I've finally learned to inspect every item before you get to the checkout, especially in places where customers can rummage through the merchandise.

When I put something back on the shelf or pick up something that has been mis-stocked by a previous rummager, I try very hard to take the time to return the item to the correct bin. Wish everyone would, but until they do, the watchword is inspect, inspect, and re-inspect to verify it's the right size, tpi, etc.

Don Bullock
06-29-2007, 9:42 AM
Nice work Bill. You've made some great cabinets for your shop.

I fully agree with the title. After finishing a woodworking course yesterday, I had the same feeling driving home. In the class we made a small table (gloat to follow after it's finished) that incorporated a lot of woodworking techniques. It was amazing to watch the instructor work with us on our projects. I learned a great deal from him and am ready to start my next table. As he kept saying, "Practice, practice, practice makes a difference." The people who post their projects, including you, are a tramendous inspiration to people like me, but practice is the only thing that will get me to the level that I'd like to be. I would like to thank you, as well as all the others here at the "Creeek," for constantly shareing your work and knowledge.

Bob Swenson
06-29-2007, 11:55 AM
Bill
Per’s favorite tool is the caulking gun. With the pallet of colors that that gunk
Comes in he can fix anything. Don’t forget liquid nails and his other trick, instant glue and tightbond III, Oh yeah, he fills all that in with wood

Hope this gets you on the way to the expert class.:rolleyes:

Bob

Al Willits
06-29-2007, 2:02 PM
Gonna sleep with one eye open Bob???:D

Funny post though...:)

As Beasty once said, "over my dead body your gonna get that"....er....no that wasn't it...I think it was, "Put away the magnifying glass and stand back a few feet, it looks great from here"

Old gal comes up with a good one every now and then...:)

Al...who unfortunately has to stand across the street for some projects..:)

Bill Wyko
06-29-2007, 5:16 PM
It sure is a good feelin when you step back and realize you've done a great job though, isn't it? That's a fine cabinet you built. And keep in mind......everything you build is just practice for the next one.:D

Frederick Rowe
06-29-2007, 11:44 PM
Bill,
By any measure, that is a fine cabinet you built. It amazes me what people will spend in a big box store for a cabinet with joinery of plastic corner brackets, a particle board carcass, and paint. I bet your cabinet will remain level, crack free, and sturdy as the day you built it long after the the store bought one has been chucked in a dumpster.

You did say something I did want to weigh in on. You said the CMS was better at cutting 45's than your table saw.

"I did find that without question it is best to use the CMS to cut the 45s, I guess its always best to bring the blade to the wood and not the wood to the blade when you can."Assuming you've got a reasonably good table saw, you should be able to cut accurate 45's on either your table saw or CMS. Take the time to find the error in your table saw cut 45's. There will be times when your CMS will not have the capacity to make a 45 degree angle cut you need. It can be an afternoon well spent to go through your TS and make a dozen test cuts to find where the mis-adjustment lies. There are many good techniques to troubleshoot TS accuracy; search SMC and you'll find one or two you like.

We all develop our own preferences for work flow and techniques, and you may find that you feel most comfortable cutting those 45's on your CMS. But with confidence in your tools, you won't shy away from a technique only because it exceeds the capacity of one particular tool.