PDA

View Full Version : Tormek Sharpeners

Walter Meek
06-27-2007, 9:16 AM
Hello All
I was wanting to get feed back on the Tormek Sharpening systems. Wanting to know what others that have purchased one and there results.

Thanks

David Weaver
06-27-2007, 9:19 AM
Hopefully, someone will speak up about the Jet sharpener here, too. It's cheaper, but I have heard that some of the components (maybe the stones?) don't measure up to the Tormek. Can someone who has both or who has used both give those of us ("the unwashed") some specifics?

Steven Wilson
06-27-2007, 9:28 AM
You should use the search function on this site and lookup the number of discussions that have occured about the Tormek. Then, if you have something specific to ask, ask away.

Grant Wilkinson
06-27-2007, 10:05 AM
I've used a buddy's Tormek quite and bit, and bought the Jet.

I don't see any appreciable difference in the stones, and they are compatible, so you could always get a Tormek stone for the Jet grinder, if you prefer that.

There are more jigs for the Tormek, but since you can use Tormek jigs on the Jet grinder, that really isn't an issue. The jigs that are available for the Jet seem robust and are cheaper than the Tormek jigs.

The jet water system is better designed, IMHO. There is less splash and it is easier to fill. The multiple speed on the Jet is a nice feature, too.

FWIW, the instructions for the Jet are much more comprehensive. You get a DVD with it and it is very complete.

Having said all that, I have a Jet for sale, if you are interested. I've used mine very little (as in a few hours). I found that I still prefer a slow speed dry grinder for my turning tools and I have a belt grinder for my knives and plane blades.

I was thinking of trying to see it locally, but if any sawmill members are interested and we can figure out a cheap way to ship it, just let me know. You can reach me at grant4@wilki.ca. (I hope it's ok to mention this. If not, I apologize to the group and the moderator.)

Chris Christopher
06-27-2007, 12:52 PM
I have had mine for about three years and find it most acceptable. I don't have the space to keep it set up all the time, so I probably do not use it as much as I should on the chisels and plane irons. That is the reason that I am seriously considering the new Work Sharp from the folks that make Drill Doctor and suggest you at least explore that possibility--I has gotten good reviews and seems to have a small footprint and easy to use quickly. But nothing beats the Tormek for bring back really bad edges ---

mike marconi
06-27-2007, 5:14 PM
What do you want to sharpen?

I have 3 sharpening systems. The Tormek, a slow speed grinder and the Wolverine jigs and just recently the Work Sharp system. I bought the Tormek with a friend and we trade it back and forth but I got sick of being in the middle of shaping wood with a spokeshave or hand plane that needed sharpening and having to stop and drive a couple of miles to get the Tormek if I didn't have it. So I ordered the Work Sharp system.

What system to get depends on what you will sharpening.

If its just chisels, plane irons, spoke-shaves etc. Then I would definitely go with the Work Sharp. It's much cheaper, faster and easier to use than the Tormek. You can buy the sand paper any where and there are no jigs or water to mess with. Comparing the quality of the edge I can't tell the difference. With the Work Sharp I do get more of a mirror finish but I'm not sure that equates to sharper. But the best thing about the Work Sharp is that once you get it and sharpen all your tools the first time, just leave the platter on that has lowest grit paper on one side and the micro mesh on the other. As your working with a tool and it starts to lose its edge you walk over to the Work Sharp and restore the edge back to perfect in about 30 seconds. No setup, no grading the stone, no jigs its full proof. It also has a see through platter for carving tools but I haven't used it so can't offer any opinion.

For turning tools I use the grinder and the Wolverine system, for one reason. Simple, fast and effective. And as with the Work Sharp is so quick and easy to touch up the tools while your using them. A minute at the grinder and your back in business. I used the Tormek for my turning tools for awhile but no matter how careful you are the curved profile on the chisels will quickly wear shallow groves in the stone wheel. Its a real pain to true the Tormek's wheel and if done often it's circumference noticeably lessens.

If you plan on sharpening all of the above including carving tools and household items like knives, scissors etc and only want to buy one system then the Tormek (or the Jet) is the way to go. The Tormek will sharpen anything and do it very well assuming you've invested in the required jigs. The Tormek is also very well built and will most likely last a lifetime. The Work Sharp is to new to offer an opinion regarding its longevity. Of course the price of a Tormek with all the jigs to sharpen the items I mentioned would still be considerably more than the Work Sharp, a grinder and the Wolverine jigs together.

Mike

Wilbur Pan
06-27-2007, 5:55 PM
I normally use waterstones for sharpening plane blades and chisels. I bought a Tormek at the beginning of the year (thanks Rockler gift certificate from my younger brother!) specifically for dealing with turning tools, as I was having no luck sharpening those freehand.

The main reason why I didn't get a slow speed grinder and a Wolverine jig was that since the Tormek runs in a waterbath, I don't have to worry about inhaling fine metal and grindstone particles. I also like not having to worry about sparks.

As far as Tormek vs. Jet, there are some reports saying that although the Jet is cheaper, you pay for it (http://www.yucholian.com/woodwk/jet_sharpener.htm) with motor issues and a weaker toolrest (http://www.joewoodworker.com/tormek.htm). The tool rest issue is key because an accurate and solid tool rest is vital to getting the jigs to work well.

Bottom line -- I love having a Tormek, but only because I have turning tools. If it was just chisels and plane blades, I'd stick with waterstones.

Dennis Peacock
06-27-2007, 7:15 PM
I've had my Tormek for about 4 or 5 years now. Never a problem and have sharpened everything from kitchen knives, scissors, chisels, plane irons, jointer knives, turning tools, and pocket knives with it. I'd buy it again for sure.!! :D

Jim McCarty
06-27-2007, 10:50 PM
I've had the Tormek for 6 or 7 years and I'm very happy with it. I do a lot of finish carpentry on the custom homes we build and I love having chisels that are "scary sharp".

Walter Meek
06-28-2007, 2:00 PM
Thanks for all your inputs. I have been watching the videos online and am leaning towards the Tormek over the Jet . Again Thanks

Bill White
06-28-2007, 4:13 PM
Don't overlook the old tried and true Makita. Really dumb simple, but I've had mine for years. No maint., easy to set up, and it works for a lot less money.
No it isn't glitzy, but whaddaya want?
Bill