PDA

View Full Version : routing juice grooves in cutting boards

paul wiser
06-26-2007, 11:19 PM
made some templates to rout juice grooves in cutting boards. made them an inch smaller all around than the cutting board size. any one see any problem routing the groove on the outside of the template instead of an inside template?:confused::confused::confused: thanks

Rick Lizek
06-27-2007, 6:27 AM
You might have a control problem going around the corners of the perimeter. Easy to slip. Internal patterns are easier to control. Try it and see.

Dan Gill
06-27-2007, 8:57 AM
I have routed both inside and outside corners in the same shape. It's possible. You just have to take care and do light passes.

Grady Cowardin
06-27-2007, 12:45 PM
Which bit do you guys use? I'd like to try one of MLCS' dish cutter bits but prob in a router table. I don't see a problem using the fence as an outside template and a clamped stop to limit the length, adjust per side etc. I think a bearing guided cutter is mainly for handheld template use correct? I don't know about the tip in for plunging or just raising the bit while the stock is over the opening.

Bruce Wrenn
06-27-2007, 10:56 PM
I have built several of the Woodsmith Magazine high chairs. The trays have a "milk moat" around the preimeter of them. Guide templete was on outside, so this has been my experience. Waste piece from making template was used to help support router.

paul wiser
06-30-2007, 12:08 AM
thanks to aLL FOR YOUR INPUT!! big help

glenn bradley
06-30-2007, 11:50 AM
I have a little control problem going around the outside corners. I do better running around inside corners but, that's me.