PDA

View Full Version : PM suggestions

John Bush
06-26-2007, 11:12 PM
I am scheduled to pick up a never been used, used PM 4224 Saturday and am beginning to wonder if I have lost my mind. Two weekends ago I drove 3 hrs(with trailer in tow) to look at it and it is a monster. He added the bed ext., longer(24 in.??) tool rest, oneway chuck, Delta duplicator, set of Packard chisels, and several other components. I decided that I didn't want to load all 1100lbs on my open trailer and haul it back over the mtns and I really need a lift gate to unload at home, so I bought ALLLLLL of the equipment(PM66, PM belt sander, Delta DP, performax shoppro 25, some other larger machines that I can't recall, and 25+ hand power tools to make the truck rental worth while. I should be able to find new homes for all the stuff I don't want, but now I am wondering if the 4224 is too much of a bruiser for me. I have been looking for a bigger lathe for a while and the 3250's rarely become available, so I thought the 4224 would be a good choice since it is virtually new and at a fair(?) price.

Are there any 4224 owners/users that could comment? Is this model"too much"? I will likely break even on the other stuff if I go thru with the deal and I could still cancel if I choose. Thanks for your comments, John

Richard Madison
06-27-2007, 12:30 AM
John,
If you have to ask, it might be too big for you. The rest of us are drooling with envy.
Used to know a John Bush in Kirkwood, Missouri. That you?

John Bush
06-27-2007, 12:41 AM
Thanks Richard, Originally Ill., now pacific NW.

Martin Braun
06-27-2007, 1:56 AM
I have a 3520, and although I haven't turned on the 4224, I have seen it up close for a couple days straight. The 4224 isn't that much bigger than the 3520 as to be intimidating. If you can pick it up at a good price, plus with all the goodies thrown in, then you are certainly leaping into the vortex with both feet. Come on in the water is fine ;-).

Steven Wilson
06-27-2007, 2:15 AM
Big lathe's are nice, you'll get use to it. I use to be a bit intimidated with my Oneway 2436 but I'm very comfortable with it now. You'll like the PM

Bernie Weishapl
06-27-2007, 9:59 AM
John if it is a good deal go for it. At least you will know that it will probably be the last lathe you need to buy. If it were me I wouldn't even think twice about it especially if I could break even on the rest.

Patrick Taylor
06-27-2007, 10:14 AM
I'm going to get a 3520 later this year, and I want the sliding headstock that the 4224 doesn't have. That said, a 4224 at the right price would be in my shop in a heartbeat. Either one could be my "forever lathe." :)

jeff ferguson
06-27-2007, 10:28 AM
I had an opportunity to buy a slightly used 4224 and lots of accessories for about the same price as a new 3520b, but the lack of a sliding headstock was the deal-breaker. Don't underestimate the value of the sliding headstock. Then again, the seller of the 4224 had 10 more people behind me waiting to buy the lathe (and she lived out in the middle of nowhere), so you could probably always sell it for the price of a new 3520 at some point in the future.
Good luck
Jeff

Reed Gray
06-27-2007, 11:03 AM
I agree that the biggest difference is the sliding headstock. This is a huge back saver if you are turning a lot of bowls, and boxes. You don't have to lean over the bed to turn. This is a feature that I have come to appreciate more and more whenever I do a demo on a lathe that doesn't have this feature. I do turn a lot of bowls.
robo hippy

Dario Octaviano
06-27-2007, 11:27 AM
You should have atleast tried to ask if you can try it the first time you were there. As soon as you try it, you will know ;) if it is for you or not. If you did, I bet you won't go home without it though :D

You didn't actually mention how much the asking price is but if it is priced reasonably, you won't have any difficulty reselling it to break even...or maybe even make some $.

Oh yeah, I am envious too!

Good luck!

Steven Wilson
06-27-2007, 11:30 AM
Don't underestimate the value of the sliding headstock.

Likewise don't overhype the value of a sliding headstock. A sliding headstock will always have the issue of missalignment (fixed headstock lathes can be shimmed if needed). The main selling point of a sliding headstock is to adjust the length of the bed to best suit the project at hand - having a short bed and long bed lathe in one machine. The downside is that when you slide the headstock down to have a short bed (aka bowl lathe) you invariably need to remove the tailstock (which is a heavy beast on large lathes). You do have one advantage in that the footprint you need for the lathe is somewhat less.

The better long bed lathes solve the long/short bed lathe dilema by frequently offering a short outboard extension. So you may turn inboard (using the tailstock for safety) for roughing operations then spin the chuck and blank off and attach it outboard for hollowing. This isn't really needed for most bowels but is very handy for hollow forms like a vase. The downside is that you end up needing more room around your lathe and you are remounting your work.

Now, for the 3520B/4224 selection. The 3520B offers a 20" swing, sliding headstock, and 34" BC. The 4224 offers 24" swing, fixed headstock, 42" BC, and an outboard extension to give the option of having a short bed lathe. I'll take the extra BC and swing (and extra 200lbs of weight). Both lathes are fine machines but don't poo poo the 4224 for it's lack of a sliding headstock.

Patrick Taylor
06-27-2007, 12:03 PM
Now, for the 3520B/4224 selection. The 3520B offers a 20" swing, sliding headstock, and 34" BC. The 4224 offers 24" swing, fixed headstock, 42" BC, and an outboard extension to give the option of having a short bed lathe. I'll take the extra BC and swing (and extra 200lbs of weight). Both lathes are fine machines but don't poo poo the 4224 for it's lack of a sliding headstock.

But with the bed extension mounted low on the 3520B for the toolrest, you can have considerably more swing than 20" or 24". Or, with an outboard toolrest and the sliding headstock you can swing to the floor if you want. I think the 3520B has the largest potential swing, but not the length between centers or the weight of the 4224. I suppose it comes down to what matters to the individual considering these are both great lathes. :)

Steven Wilson
06-27-2007, 1:31 PM
Yes you can mount your short bed extension low (which is nice BTW) on the 3520 (or 4224 IIRC) but you don't have the capability to bring your tailstock into play if you do that. To safely prep many blanks you really need to use your tailstock which on the 3520 limits you to 20" of swing, and 24" on the 4224. Of course you could purchase the Oneway large outboard attachment and modify it to work with the 3520 or 4224 and then have the capability to bring your tailstock into play for large bowls (i.e. 48" swing w/tailstock).

Myself, I like the old Powermatic Lathe turning stand - great pucker factor when turning large platters.

Jerry Ingraham
06-27-2007, 1:43 PM
John,

If you pass on this lathe, would you consider passing on the seller's info? I'm looking for larger lathe and it appears that it may be in my area (by your description of hauling it over the mountains). Not trying to butt in but thought I'd ask:o .
Jerry

Sean Troy
06-27-2007, 7:50 PM
I have a 4224 and have for 4 years. In my opinion, there is not another lathe out there ( I,ve tried them all) for the money thats any better. There is no arguing it's the sturdiest lathe on the market. No other lathe even comes close for the thickness of the ways.

Rich Souchek
06-27-2007, 9:36 PM
used PM 4224 Saturday and am .... wondering if the 4224 is too much of a bruiser for me. ...
John,
Most equipment that I've bought after using a smaller version lloked huge and ponderous to me. Went from a 12" old Delta lathe to a PM 3520B and the PM looked huge and heavy. Within a couple of hours it was like an old home.
Went I've stepped up to big displacement motorcycle I thought how the heck is this thing going to get around in traffic. Couple of hours later it was slipping though or around anything on the road.
Did the same thought process with biclycles, tablesaws, cahinsaws, hammers, trucks, etc.
The PM4224 has the reputation to be able to handle anything, it is something you will grow into. You should enjoy it.
Rich s.

Richard Madison
06-28-2007, 12:03 AM
John,
Ditto what Rich just said. If the price is right, go for it. The intimidation is remarkably short lived.