PDA

View Full Version : Guess it's my time to trash the NEW HD!

Bruce Shiverdecker
06-26-2007, 10:02 PM
Hd had an ad for 34W 4' CW Fluorescent lamps at .99 ea in case lots of 30. Decent deal and name brand, so, believing the Post here from HD BIGWIG, I decided to give it a try. (All the way across town - Passed Lowe's and Menard's to get there)

Went to the Lamp department looked for the 30 lamp cases.................................only found 1 partial case....................Hmmmm.

This is the first day after the flyer arrived. I would expect that they would have a pallet load, at least (fifty Cases). Finally found an employee in the area. Asked if she could help. Told her what I was looking for and how surprised I was that they didn't have more. She didn't know about the sale, but when I showed it to her in the flyer, she tried to help me, but couldn't.

I decided to go to the service desk and ask the store manager why they didn't have the lamps. He said that he thought they had a WHOLE 4 cases. He looked, but couldn't find them either.

At that point he asked if I would take 6 ten packs at the same total price. Hey, I thought, Finally someone with some smarts!!!!!!!! WRONG>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

It took him about five minutes to figure out how to sell them to me at the sale price. After THAT was done, he told to just take the re-pricing ticket to checkout (AT THE OTHER END OF THE BUILDING) and they would handle it.

After waiting while the only cashier takes care of three customers ahead of me, The lad takes my paperwork and studies it. I told him it was an authorization by the manager to sell me this SKU number at the special price. He gets on the phone and verifies that I'm not lying and starts to process the sale. He picks up the phone again, waits, says something, hangs up and waits. Puzzled, I ask him what the problem was. He proceeds to tell me that the MANAGER HAS TO APPROVE THE SALE IN THE COMPUTER!......................................... .................................................. ................WHAT. WHY in BLA BLA BLA, didn't he come to the cashier with me?

I told the cashier to tell the MANAGER exactly where he could stuff the lamps - sideways and walked out.

IF I EVER ENTER THAT PLACE AGAIN, I DESERVE TO BE LOBOTOMIZED for stupidity!!!!!!

Bruce :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Bernie Weishapl
06-26-2007, 10:06 PM
I have found the same thing Bruce. It is a bummer when they come out with a ad and don't have the stuff in stock. Drives me nuts. I haven't been in HD for a year now and will never go back.

paul wiser
06-26-2007, 10:52 PM
i work for hd in the electrical dept. i know only too well what you are talking about. customer service sucks. the only help they can get is people who don't give a darn and are just interested in the check at the end of the week. the ones like me who have experience are few and far between. i'm semi retired now, but still work pt. am constantly frustrated by their out of stocks and not stocking the things they should

Dick Durbin
06-26-2007, 11:28 PM
That's a really common story with the Home Depots around here. A few weeks ago they had an ad for a Ryobi tool set. If you buy the set, you get a free tool. The cashier knew nothing about it. I told him to look at his ad. He hadn't seen the ad and didn't have one at the cash register. I had to go to the service desk to get a copy of the ad.

They don't deserve my business. Plus, I own stock in Lowes and I can't stand Tony Stewart.

Perry Holbrook
06-27-2007, 7:11 AM
I for one have always been very satisfied with my local HD. The store opened at least 10 years ago. In that time I've spent probably $40,000 there in about 700 purchases. As far as I can remember, I have never had a problem.

A lot of the employees have been there for years and most are knowledgable to a point about their area.

I guess it's like any other mass retailer, store management makes all the difference.

Perry

James Stokes
06-27-2007, 7:21 AM
Good help is hard to find in any business.

Chuck Wintle
06-27-2007, 8:04 AM
Its a sign of the times. These big stores don't care if they lose the occasional customer as new customers are walking in all the time. :(

Tyler Howell
06-27-2007, 8:31 AM
As stated in one of the other threads. If you want borg prices you have to play the borg game. I'm surprised by some of the horror stories.
I pray it's a regional mamagement thing because we get very good service here in the mid west.
I've see of what you speak in the south and on the east coast.
Gotta go with the mind set that your not going to get any help and already schooled on the subject matter. Customers have started to help each other with lifting and tech questions at HD when there is no staff around to help. You can often tell by attire and selected items if they know what they are talking about.
I have found some rare jems in plumbing and electrical in the MN borgs but they won't last long at the rate they are being "spread thin and used up".
On the other hand I get serviced to death at my local ACE hardware store. Sometimes I just want to be left alone to problem solve on my own.

Chuck Wintle
06-27-2007, 8:37 AM
I was in a Borg once and asked the employee in the hardware section if they had any Metric screws and nuts. He responded that he did not carry them. :( later while looking around myself I found exactly what I needed. :) Borg's must lose a lot of business because of lazy and unknowledgable staff! :D

Matt Meiser
06-27-2007, 8:42 AM
On the other hand I get serviced to death at my local ACE hardware store. Sometimes I just want to be left alone to problem solve on my own.

Minneapolis is the only place a small hardware store has ever sent me TO the BORG. I asked if there was an electrical supply house nearby since they didn't have what I needed and they actually said my best bet would be to go to Menards or HD.

Mike Wilkins
06-27-2007, 9:10 AM
These stores are all the same. I used to work at Home Quarters/Hechingers in Raleigh in the tool dept. The story was always the same. Sale fliers in the local paper; customer comes in looking for the item; not in stock.
Or my favorite one is there was never enough stock shipped to the store to handle the high demand.
No wonder they went out of business.

Bill Boehme
06-27-2007, 3:46 PM
Our HD is actually quite good, but I still don't go there unless absolutely necessary. The traffic jams around the store are terrible and sometimes the checkout lines are long. On the positive side, they are very helpful and have spent a lot of time in helping me even for low cost items. I needed some specialty clips to hold a sink to a granite counter top (not very expensive, but necessary) and the person spent a long time searching catalogs until he located a supplier with just the right clips to fit my particular needs and then placed a special order. It was sent directly to me without shipping charges added and only took about two days. I have also had similar experiences in the electrical department in finding what I need. They have even referred me to to competitors when they knew that what I was looking for could be found there. I have never noticed a time when they advertised something and it was not available, but like I said, I am not a regular shopper there.

Bill

Al Willits
06-27-2007, 4:18 PM
Minneapolis is the only place a small hardware store has ever sent me TO the BORG. I asked if there was an electrical supply house nearby since they didn't have what I needed and they actually said my best bet would be to go to Menards or HD.

I'll echo what Tyler says, most HD here are acceptable, and a few are very good for what they are.

I'm thinking the sales are put on by the main office and there's probably a lack of communication between the main office and each store, maybe?
Not good I agree.

At least they tried to offer the bulbs at the sale price, many other stores seem to have a higher priced alternative, can we say bait and switch, boys and girls???

What does seem evident here is the lack of consistency between stores nation wide though.

Al

John Shuk
06-27-2007, 7:28 PM
As stated in one of the other threads. If you want borg prices you have to play the borg game. I'm surprised by some of the horror stories.
I pray it's a regional mamagement thing because we get very good service here in the mid west.
I've see of what you speak in the south and on the east coast.
Gotta go with the mind set that your not going to get any help and already schooled on the subject matter. Customers have started to help each other with lifting and tech questions at HD when there is no staff around to help. You can often tell by attire and selected items if they know what they are talking about.
I have found some rare jems in plumbing and electrical in the MN borgs but they won't last long at the rate they are being "spread thin and used up".

The funny thing is that I don't find BORG prices to that great. There are sometimes deals to be had but nothing earth shattering.

Steven Triggs
06-27-2007, 7:57 PM
Umm, let's see. So because they were out of stock, the manager offered to sell you something comparable for the same price. Yes, I would be mad too :confused:

Oh, wait, it's the fact that it took him a few minutes to figure out how to do it. Yes, someone not knowing everything and having to figure out how to do something warrants you telling the employee to tell the manager to "shove it" or whichever words you used.

I mean come on! They tried to make up for being out of stock, but it took a few minutes. Compared to many experiences people run into, I'm just not sure what you're complaining about?

Bruce Shiverdecker
06-27-2007, 9:14 PM
Steven, it's ok to dissagree, but, this was the STORE MANAGER and, I believe, the CEO of HD said, on this site, several months ago, that he was hired to get their problems with customer service corrected! Why wouldn't the MANAGER know how to write up a discount ticket. I work at Woodcraft two days a week, part time and know how to write up a discount, to take care of a customer. My complaint WAS NOT because of the swap. That was the thing to do!

#2. Since he knew that it required his ON SITE appoval, why couldn't he be more customer friendly do the sale at the cash register at the service desk, where he wrote the discount slip and we were standing. When I've had similar discount requests, they are handled right then and there, at the service desk, including Lowe's and Menard's. (BTW I don't like Tony Steward either, but that's not a reason not to do business with Lowe's)

Also, I would not have been so unfriendly, if it had been the first time. However, it has been this way since the day they opened the doors some five years ago.

Bruce

Roger Bell
06-27-2007, 10:20 PM
With the recent rash of "not satisfied with HD" threads, I am pleased to see folks swearing never to return.

That is really what it takes. Simply complaining and continuing to patronize them will simply encourage and perpetuate the problem....and the resulting inevitable disappointment.

The Borg business model is predicated on the ability to offer somewhat lower prices on most things coupled with minimal and consistently lame service. That is simply what we can expect there. And it continues to amaze me that so many of us really do continue to expect more, despite the evidence.

Better service typically comes with a price. One simply has to acknowledge that, and patronize those who have a reputation of offering competent and consistent and sincere service. If that happens to be a local HD, so be it.

I still go to HD from time to time, but I don't have any expectations whatsoever concerning service, product availability, fair treatment or competent management. I have the neither the time, the patience nor the temperment to mickey-mouse around in such an environment simply to save a few dollars. Fortunately, other options still remain.

Bill Lewis
06-28-2007, 6:20 AM
...Better service typically comes with a price...

Not always true, read this thread (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=60560) to see what I mean.

Steven Triggs
06-28-2007, 8:45 PM
Bruce,
I may have been a bit harsh in my response, and for that I apologize. Like you said, we have the right to disagree.

I just feel that it is so difficult to find anyone in stores these days willing to even make an effort, that if I find someone who understands something needs to be fixed, and is willing to fix it, I don't mind so much if it takes them a little while or they have to figure out how to do it. But you're right, if he is the store manager, he should know how.

Also, I gathered from your original post that you threw some off-color words as you left the store. I just really feel that people shouldn't do that in public, and I feel that we should treat people with respect, even, if it isn't reciprocated.

Anyway, no worries...

Gary Keedwell
06-28-2007, 9:12 PM
I just had to put my two cents in the pot. I have been to Lowe's two nites in a row and I was very impressed. It was clean, well lit, signs labled every where, and the service was excellent. Every employee looked me in the eyes and asked me if I needed any help.
I had to go out of town because all we have in this area is a dreadful Home Depot. This miserable excuse for a store is dirty, lousy signage, employees that either hide or turn their head when you aproach them. We are going to get our very own Lowe's later this year and it is only 5 minutes from my house. Boy, I'm gonna be a very happy camper!!!!!!!!
Gary K.

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-29-2007, 8:51 AM
WOW. Sounds like the Borgs nearer the city. Where I live the BORG has very knowledgeable people and they really do try. Back when I was willing to enter the local Loews I found the people eager to help but incompetent so the result was a friendly worthlessness.

I wonder how much of this is store manager specific

Gary Keedwell
06-29-2007, 9:10 AM
WOW. Sounds like the Borgs nearer the city. Where I live the BORG has very knowledgeable people and they really do try. Back when I was willing to enter the local Loews I found the people eager to help but incompetent so the result was a friendly worthlessness.

I wonder how much of this is store manager specific
All I really want is a place that's friendly and can point me to the right aisle. I usually do my homework before I go because I can read the labels as good or better then the employee's.:rolleyes:
I just like a good clean, well lit , well stocked place with somewhat friendly people. Life's too short to have lousy shopping experiences.
Gary K.

Joe Mioux
06-29-2007, 9:17 AM
If possible....

You should have gone to your local Mom and Pop Hardware store or local Mom & pop lumber yard to begin with. Support your community by keeping your money in the community.

Is it just me or do light bulbs from places like Wal-Mart and other Borgs not last as long as light bulbs from the past? just ponderin.....

Bart Leetch
06-29-2007, 9:38 AM
I had an employee here in Oak Harbor show me on a Friday afternoon the paper work for for display set up for employees for a sale on a battery powered Ridgid tools set that was supposed to start on a Saturday morning so I came in Saturday morning & no tools were available.

So I purchased Ryobi tools in just what I wanted & left. I am not sorry I did either. I have always thought HD was giving Ridgid the shaft on most of their business. I don't like the relationship between the 2 companies. I have run into this problem with them before of not having what they said they would have of Ridgid products or not being able to find them or not being displayed when they should be or not knowing anything about a sale that was advertised.

The only Ridgid product I have is the MSUV & it is probably the only Ridgid tool I will ever have because of HD's treatment of Ridgid. I don't want a tool with a motor from Ridgid because of HD treatment of Ridgid.

Jack Morrow
06-29-2007, 9:55 AM
If possible....

You should have gone to your local Mom and Pop Hardware store or local Mom & pop lumber yard to begin with. Support your community by keeping your money in the community.

Is it just me or do light bulbs from places like Wal-Mart and other Borgs not last as long as light bulbs from the past? just ponderin.....

Joe,

Well, not always possible. The "mom and pop" lumber stores I know close at 5:00 PM and are not open on Saturday. The local plywood dealer is now part of a small chain and they really don't want to sell less than 20 sheets. And, they are much higher than HD/Lowes. I like going to HD/Lowes at 9:00 PM on Thursday or Friday night to get supplies for the weekend.

Are HD/Lowes perfect? Nope. Usually service and knowledge is the inverse of price and convenience.

Just one guy's opinion,

Jack

Pat Germain
06-29-2007, 2:36 PM
As I've said before, there's nothing I hate more than, "The comptuter won't let me do it". :mad:

Bottom line is big box stores are a fact of the times. They have good points and bad. As mentioned, I can't go to a mom & pop store if they're only open when I'm working. I can usually get what I need from a BORG. Sometimes I get good service, sometimes I don't. Thems the facts. :)

Bruce Shiverdecker
06-29-2007, 8:02 PM
Steven, I'm sorry. I should have been more clear about how I explained what they could do with the lamps.

I learned a long time ago how to chew someone out without uttering one single "cuss" word. Those who resort to profanity are seriously lacking in education and I feel sorry for them.

Bruce

Chris Kalkowski
06-29-2007, 11:35 PM
Bruce, I went to Lowes to see if they could match the price of a Jet Air Filtration system that was at Rockler for $229. First off the employee and manager never heard of Rockler. Secondly an employee walking by had to explain that Rockler is a few miles away.

The guy said that they don't carry it. I said that the Lowes website had it there. Could they order it. He looked it up,called the manager and said that THERE cost was $230 and they couldn't sell it too me. I said what happened to price matching.

He told me the manager was on his way. I also had a coupon for $10 off a purchase of $50 or more. Well the manager came- approved it and told me to present the coupon to the cashier. I went to order it and they said the coupon was not able to be used.

I had three people waiting behind me- I said ya know what - I will drive the 15 miles to Rockler and just buy it today.

Went to Rockler - not a problem and they helped me put it in the car.......

I remember a store in Chicago named Handy Andy (gone) in AZ there was Home Base (gone) - Are Lowes and Home Depot next?

Jack Morrow
07-02-2007, 1:47 PM
Bruce, I went to Lowes to see if they could match the price of a Jet Air Filtration system that was at Rockler for $229. First off the employee and manager never heard of Rockler. Secondly an employee walking by had to explain that Rockler is a few miles away.

The guy said that they don't carry it. I said that the Lowes website had it there. Could they order it. He looked it up,called the manager and said that THERE cost was $230 and they couldn't sell it too me. I said what happened to price matching.

He told me the manager was on his way. I also had a coupon for $10 off a purchase of $50 or more. Well the manager came- approved it and told me to present the coupon to the cashier. I went to order it and they said the coupon was not able to be used.

I had three people waiting behind me- I said ya know what - I will drive the 15 miles to Rockler and just buy it today.

Went to Rockler - not a problem and they helped me put it in the car.......

I remember a store in Chicago named Handy Andy (gone) in AZ there was Home Base (gone) - Are Lowes and Home Depot next?

Chris,

Call me stupid, but if Rockler had what you wanted at a good price within 15 miles, why are you trying to get a price match from a big box store?

Jack

Ronald Seto
07-08-2007, 2:05 AM
One other thing that riles me is, whenever I go in to buy lumber, I can never find a cart or buggy for the lumber. They are all over the store with damaged merchandise in them that the employees put there. Sometimes, it takes me 15 minutes to find an unused cart. Also when I need something from an aisle, they have it roped off for one reason or another. The self-check-out lines are also a pet peeve. If you are buying say, paint in a spray can, the machine sends up a flag and an employee has to approve the purchase. HD is definitely one of the worst around. In fairness, they do carry Radiata Pine which is a beautiful wood. It was imported into Chile years ago from California and is a renewable resource as it grows at a very high rate. HD is the only one as far as I know that carries it.

Bob Childress
07-08-2007, 8:05 AM
One other thing that riles me is, whenever I go in to buy lumber, I can never find a cart or buggy for the lumber. They are all over the store with damaged merchandise in them that the employees put there. Sometimes, it takes me 15 minutes to find an unused cart.

Amen, brother. My pet peeve exactly! I have often been tempted to go to the service desk and ask them how customers are expected to buy sheet goods if they can't get them to the front of the store. :mad:

Barry Stratton
07-09-2007, 1:22 AM
I've had many of the not so pleasant experiences in box stores........until I moved here. The local HD is WELL staffed by some of the friendliest, eager to help folks I have seen at ANY store.

And a friendly suggestion for those going to a store to buy sheet goods where they have had problems finding a cart in the past -------- push one in from the parking lot when you walk in!

Rich Engelhardt
07-09-2007, 6:07 AM
Hello,

push one in from the parking lot when you walk in!
I've done that many a time.
Most of the time it's not a problem.

However, when it's raining or snowing out and the carts outside are all wet or snow covered, that makes a mess of drywall and/or plays havoc with the already warped and twisted wood.