PDA

View Full Version : Mulching with Dutch Elm Diseased Wood

Jim Young
06-26-2007, 9:18 PM
We have a neighbor who cut down and mulched up an elm tree that died from Dutch Elm disease. Would this mulch be safe to use in flower beds? My gut feeling is that it is OK but I wanted to see what others think.

Joe Mioux
06-26-2007, 9:27 PM
Speaking from a perspective of having to deal with plant diseases everyday, my only question is....

Do you or your neighbors have anymore Elm trees? Even if the answer is yes, the chances of those trees dying is pretty good.

From a santitation stand point, I would burn all the wood.

Bear in mind, I know nothing about Dutch Elm disease, other than what the casual observer would have, but I do know diseases. When ever possible I try to eradicate the noxious plant or plant material from the growing area.

Joe

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-27-2007, 10:34 AM
We have a neighbor who cut down and mulched up an elm tree that died from Dutch Elm disease. Would this mulch be safe to use in flower beds? My gut feeling is that it is OK but I wanted to see what others think.

Not of there are other elms in the area.

My method for disease control is to dedicate a tree to the disease. I select a weak tree and I just let it die. The bugs that carry the fungus are short flight radius insects that are attracted to a weakened tree.

Then when the tree dies I cut it and burn it.

Elms can share the disease VIA their roots too. If they are close together one tree infects the others.

At best it's a way to slow the progression of the disease and I have a lot of elms . If I knew of a way to inoculate the trees against the fungus I'd do it in a heartbeat.

TYLER WOOD
06-27-2007, 10:41 AM
Doesn't elm with dutch disease have a purpleish color streaking through it? Wouldn''t this be good turning characteristics? HMMMMM ideas?

Anchor Sarslow
10-30-2007, 11:52 AM
Dutch Elm Disease is carried by a beetle. It infests the bark... You will find discoloratin just under the bark on early onset. It is only during that time that the.. "antidote" if that is what you want to call it can be applied to possibly cure the tree for that year.

Eventually the disease travels into the sapwood and kills the tree.

The desease is not supposed to be spreadable without the beetles and they only infest into the bark. If you debark the elm and burn it, the remaining wood "should" be usable. I am saying this off the top of my head, it has been about 20 years since I looke3d all this up. THings and info may have changed since that time.

Oak wilt is spreadable via root systems. I dont think Dutch Elm Disease is.

Now I am going to have to go back and look it all up again.. Thanks. .for my re-edjamacation..

Paul Engle
11-01-2007, 1:32 PM
It can jump trees from the connecte root system. nasty stufff. the USFS has a shot of a blvd lined with Elm and every tree has branch flagging dead spots where the arteries cloged from the fungus carried by the bark beetle.. nasty stuff.
http://www.na.fs.fed.us/spfo/pubs/howtos/ht_ded/ht_ded.htm

Paul Engle
11-01-2007, 1:42 PM
Wood from infected trees can be destroyed by chipping, burning or burying. Wood may be retained for use as firewood or sawlogs if it is de-barked or covered from April 15th to October 15th with 4 to 6 mil plastic. The edges of the cover must be buried or sealed to the ground. If it is impossible to destroy all elm wood before the beetles emerge, the wood can be sprayed with a registered insecticide until disposal is possible. If insecticides are used, consider potential exposure to chemical residues when burning or handling the treated wood. Many communities have regulations on the removal of diseased elms and storage of elm firewood; make sure your activities comply with local regulations.
Per USFS