PDA

View Full Version : Wadkin Bandsaur Finished! *pics* (1/1)

David Eisan
01-13-2004, 6:53 PM
Dear All,

Well, it only took forever, but tonight I finished work on my Wadkin Bursgreen 20" bandsaw and made first dust with it!

http://www.federatedtool.com/images/allc5loweres.jpg

I bought the saw for $200 (CDN) from a window factory that bought it used from another window factory. The saw is about 30 years old, and when I bought it, it was done, toast, it needed one of everything. The bearings were shot, there were no tires on the rims, guides were worn out, frayed belt, etc. One of my many friends named Mike helped my bring the saw from the window factory to my work where it sat for almost a year as I assembled all the various parts I would need for the rebuild.

I brought the saw home in pieces (it weights over 600 pounds) and started rebuilding it. I did some body work, fixing dings and holes drilled in the saw over the years. I drove the saw around the corner to a friend of mines place, who just happens to have a full spray set up in his garage, to have the saw painted (Nice job Mike!).

One serious problem with the saw right off the bat was a cracked trunion. The trunion is cast iron and irreplaceable. I deal with a local welding school through work and I was able to have one of the instructors weld the trunion for a very small fee. Cast iron has to be welded in a very special way, both heated and cooled in an oven to be done correctly. It had been repaired badly once before, and this time it was done correctly.

I had HTC build a custom mobile base for the saw, it works very well, I can move the saw around effortlessly. This helped a lot as I worked on the saw, I could move it around with ease. I don't have 575/3ph at home, so I replaced the stock 2hp motor with a new 220/1ph 3hp Lafert unit. This is a metric flange mount motor and it was a bit of a challenge to find one. I also obviously had to replace the remainder of the electrics to handle the new voltage/higher amp draw. I put on a new Dan Foss magnetic starter and 20amp twist lock plug/cord.

The wheels are like the old Delta bandsaws, with the little groove around the rim. Since I could not get new tires from Wadkin for this saw, I tried a set of Delta's. Turns out my saw is not really 20", but rather the metric equivalent of 19.5". You would think that 1/2" wouldn't be enough to make a difference, but the Delta tires "flapped" on the rims of this saw under power and did not work. I found a company about an hours drive away who re-hooves (vulcanizes) bandsaw tires, so I took the tires to them for a rebuild. They also crowned, installed the new wheel bearings and balanced the tires as well.

The guides are a set of Carter MicroPrecsion bandsaw guides. I was able to order new "Tefloy" blocks and thrust bearings from a local Carter dealer without too much difficulty. Any part of these guides can be replaced or fixed, so that they were in bad shape did not concern me. Rebuilding them was much cheaper than having to buy a new set.

For some reason, someone had painted the cast iron table top black. This was a good thing really, because when I scraped the paint off with a razor blade, there was clean bright cast iron underneath. By the way, the table alone on this saw weighs almost 150 pounds.

Rebuilding the saw was pretty easy really, the only marginally challenging task was aligning the guides once reinstalled because off their many axis of adjustments.

You can see in the photographs me resawing a 12" wide pine board, the saw blew through it. I also did some resawing on an 8" wide hard maple board, no matter how hard I pushed, I could not get the saw to stall or slow down one bit. Note from my framing square that there is over 16" of clearance under the guides of this saw.

This saw will be used exclusively for ripping and resawing. I am going to keep a 1" blade on the Wadkin and a 1/4" on my Taiwanese 1hp 14" bandsaw. Now I will never have to change blades for different applications again!

I figure that I have about $1000 into this saw and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

What a cool saw...

David.

Every neighbourhood has one, in mine, I'm him.

Ken Wright
01-13-2004, 7:16 PM
would be proud. He strongly believes in older equipment that's kept in tip top shape.

Fine job ... would love to have that machine. Congrats.

Bruce Page
01-13-2004, 7:24 PM
David, you've done a beautiful job of restoring. What a cool saw indeed!

Like ken, I would love to have that in my garage too!

Glenn Clabo
01-13-2004, 7:33 PM
What a cool saw...

David.

You are RIGHT! Very cool indeed.

Brad Schafer
01-13-2004, 7:54 PM
wow - what a beast. nice job on the restore, too...

b

Jim Becker
01-13-2004, 8:12 PM
Wow! That's an amazing transformation. Incredible job!

Ken Garlock
01-13-2004, 8:26 PM
It looks great :cool: You are a lucky fellow to have so many friends to turn to for the various tasks involved in the restoration. :) What a fun project.

Wes Bischel
01-13-2004, 8:48 PM
Fantastic job. It's amazing to see the transformation. There is nothing like knowing your tool inside and out. I only hope my little saw rebuild will end up 1/10th as nice as this one. I'd be happy as a clam.

Now it's time to enjoy the fruits of your albor.

Wes

Mark Singer
01-13-2004, 9:38 PM
Great job! That looks like a super bandsaw... Great work. You can take a lot of pride in that saw...
Mark

Bob Lasley
01-13-2004, 10:11 PM
David,

That saw should last you the rest of your life and maybe several other's lives as well. You did a beautiful job on the restoration and now have one hoss of a machine.

Bob

John Miliunas
01-13-2004, 10:23 PM
A very ambitious project indeed, I'd say! You did a wonderful job on it. I'm a bit mechanically challenged, so very doubtful I'd ever attempt something like that, which also makes me envious. Way to go, David! Enjoy...I'm sure you will! :cool:

Alan Turner
01-14-2004, 9:22 AM
Wonderful restoration! I have a 1925 or so 12" jointer that I bought from a dealer, and someone else did the restoration. I wouldn't trade it for a new 12". Just needs a shelix cutterhead, and that is on my short list. Carter guides are the cat's meow, aren't they.
Alan

Byron Trantham
01-14-2004, 9:27 AM
Now that's a saw! You are lucky to "see" the possibilities. I can't believe you have all these resources available. Special welding, vulcanizing, tire balancing.... wow! :)

John Scarpa
01-14-2004, 11:56 AM
Wow! You did a great job bringing that bandsaw back to life. I know that gave you lots of satisfaction and will be a tool you will rely on for years.
John

nic obie
01-14-2004, 1:32 PM
Very very nice job!

David Eisan
01-17-2004, 9:54 AM
Good Day All,

>>>Now that's a saw! You are lucky to "see" the possibilities. I can't believe you have all these resources available. Special welding, vulcanizing, tire balancing.... wow!

I am very lucky that I work in the power tool industry and have access to services that your average Joe does not and usually at better prices.

This is not my first restoration, I did a 40 year old Unisaw a few years ago, a 50+ year old Delta lathe last winter, and soon I will be doing another Unisaw.

I know this will be a saw to last a lifetime, and since I am only 35, I expect to be using it for many years to come.

Thanks everyone for the kind words,

David.