PDA

View Full Version : Future Bowls

Tom Collins
06-26-2007, 8:45 PM
Last year, long before I found this forum I went to an estate auction and scored half a pickup full of lumber, turning blanks and log sections. Most was walnut but there is a nice piece of redwood burl and some exotics. Much of it is kind of small and I have used it on some f**t work projects. The two pieces in the pictures really caught my eye. I knew what they were before I bought them and was hoping nobody else did. Well, I paid $25 for the whole lot. And no, I'm not going to dig around the basement and garage to reinact a picture for you non-believers.:D The largest plank measured 49X15X2.75" before I cut it and the smaller is 42X9X2.5". The larger had a crack and you can see my first cut line. I had to cut from both sides. The second shot shows the cut surfaces. Yes, they are black walnut. The large board is solid heartwood. The smaller has some sapwood. I am hoping to make a bowl for my daughters wedding present this fall from some of it. The rest will have to wait for more inspiration.

Tom C.

Frank Kobilsek
06-27-2007, 9:11 AM
Tom,

Big dry planks are wonderful for bowls and platters. I scored a pick-up truck 'over' load last June of walnut, maple & cherry. All 2" thick or more and some of it 15" wide. The entire load plus two beer flats of antique turning tools cost me $219. The 96 year old guy who had collected this stuff finaly went to assisted living. He had each piece labeled with where & when he cut it, how it was dried and his own little grading system. I have since made him a bowl and had his niece take me to meet him. Cool Saturday afternoon.

One warning for you. Air dried old boards will warp a little as soon as you shape them. So treat them like wet wood except the time between rough and finish turning only needs to be about 24 hours. You'll be happier with the results.

Frank

Patrick Taylor
06-27-2007, 9:24 AM
One warning for you. Air dried old boards will warp a little as soon as you shape them. So treat them like wet wood except the time between rough and finish turning only needs to be about 24 hours. You'll be happier with the results.

Frank

That's a good tip Frank, thanks for sharing.