PDA

View Full Version : Cabinet door edge help

Karl Stewart
06-26-2007, 7:44 PM
I've got a good set of panel [rail & stile] router bits and thanx to SMC have been improving my skill level, in their use. I was interested in the community's opinion on the door's edge. Is there a bit you'd recommend or is it simply back cut on the TS and a roundover? FYI it's roman ogee inside.

Thanx in advance.

Quinn McCarthy
06-27-2007, 8:48 AM
The outside profile is based on which hinge you pick. If you have a 3/8" inset hinge you would do what you described. If you use an overlay hinge you can do as you wish. Now if you go to a european hinge like a Blum you have to cut a hole in the style that is about 1/2" deep and close to the edge. If you go that way you will have to get an outside profile that is made for 32mm hinges. Eagle catalog has a whole section on 32mm profiles that will work with the euro stuff. 90% of the time I use euro hinges. They are 3 way adjustable and be move to the correct poition of the cabinet. I usually use a profile that is similar in desigh to the profile on the panel but there is no hard rule. It has to look good to you.

Hope that helps.

Quinn

mike roe
06-27-2007, 9:23 AM
if you use hidden euro hinges i suggest rocklers "custom door edge bit"

Hal Flynt
06-28-2007, 1:54 PM
Yes it depends upon hinges and what looks right. I have used a thumbnail profile that looks good and looks good on drawer fronts. I have just chamfered the edge with a block plane on some that look good on face frames. I think they need to compliment the cabinet and match drawer fronts.

Right now i am designing some kitchen cabinets that will be full overlay with 3/8 to 5.8' separation and I like the chamfered edge the best at present.

I have looked at the edge bits too, just haven't been moved to the point of purchase yet. I also haven't seen any edge treatment in the show rooms that knock my socks off either.