PDA

View Full Version : Is it better to store Hardwoods vertical or flat?

Bill Wyko
06-26-2007, 7:27 PM
I was watching David Marks the other day and I thought he said you should store Hardwoods flat. I'd like some opinions on this subject please.

Grant Wilkinson
06-26-2007, 7:41 PM
I store mine flat, as does the lumber yard where I buy it. HD stores theirs vertically, and you won't find a straight piece in the place.

Carl Eyman
06-26-2007, 7:54 PM
Not an authority. that's my take.

Jude Kingery
06-26-2007, 7:55 PM
Hi Bill, ditto that, we store our wood flat, too. Seems to control any warpage better. Jude

Rick Gooden
06-26-2007, 7:55 PM
Bill,

I just went to vertical to save space. I only did this after months of research. I will generally have 300 ~ 400 bf on hand and do not want to ruin it. There are a number of threads here on SMC dealing with this issue as well as many others on the internet. Seems to me there are a number of high quality woodworkers that swear by this method. Just like storing flat you need to pay attention to how it is stacked, if not truly vertical it will probably warp, if not stickered correctly stacked flat, same thing happens. Since I've just gone to this method I will probably be able to tell you in a few weeks. So far after 2 weeks no ill effects.

Rick

Jim Becker
06-26-2007, 8:12 PM
Both are just fine...as long as you give the material proper support. Leaning a board up against the wall is NOT an example of proper support. You still need to build something if you want to go vertical that holds the board in the same plane so it cannot bend. If you have the headroom for good vertical storage, it's a very nice way to do things...and sometimes much easier to sort through for "that particular piece" you're looking for. Alas, I only have 8' ceilings... :(

Pat Germain
06-26-2007, 9:46 PM
I saw what I think was the same David Marks show. I recall him saying wood should be stored flat until it's good and dry. He said once the wood is dry, it's OK to store it vertically to conserve space.

There's a local hardwood store in my town where they store most of their wood vertically. As Jim mentioned, the wood is supported at the back to keep it from bending. This store carries some very expensive woods. I doubt they'd risk ruining it if there was any risk with storing it vertically.

Cody Colston
06-26-2007, 9:56 PM
I didn't hear DJM recommend to store hardwood flat and would be surprised if he did so. The episode where he showed his wood storage building (an old barn) showed all of his wood stored vertically. In his original shop, Krenov also stored his vertically, some for as long as seven years.

Also, lumber yards and home centers are not a gauge of how best to store wood because they move their stock so quickly.

I've been to hardwood dealers that stored it both ways, sometimes in the same building so it probably makes little difference as long as it's adequately supported.

Rick Williams
06-26-2007, 10:10 PM
Paxton Hardwoods as well as Schutte here in KC stores theirs vertically albeit with good support. The key as others have mentioned is that it must be well supported. I store it both ways in my shop. 10'sidewall to 16' peaks. I store it flat and stickered when first brought in and as it has acclimated will move it to vertical if i need the space.

Greg Cole
06-27-2007, 9:32 AM
With vertical storage one other thing to bear in mind is to keep the ends of the boards off the floor.... same with storing sheet goods.
I store boards horizontal & sheets vertical... I have to in order to be able to work in the garage shop I have, for now anyway.
Sticker & stack the boards and they are fine. If it's dry there's no need to wieght the top IMO....

Greg

Tyler Howell
06-27-2007, 10:02 AM
Store in climate controlled enviroment or ok to change with the seasons:confused: .
Have a covered shed with a great storage wall.
I understand about climatizing the wood before working it.

TIA

Aaron Beaver
06-27-2007, 3:47 PM
Both are just fine...as long as you give the material proper support.

Can someone give me an example of proper support for vertical boards?
Thanks

Craig Kershaw
06-27-2007, 4:00 PM
I work for a company in the public warehousing and trucking business in the port of Baltimore. Over the years we've handled literally boatloads of lumber. I've never seen lumber stored any other way but flat and banded together tight. This approach reduces warping, cuping, etc. We used to have a lumber company from northern Pennsylvania who used to ship several hundred container loads of hardwood a year overseas. Again, the lumber was shipped laid flat and tightly together.

Steve Clardy
06-27-2007, 10:49 PM
Mine is flat. Takes up too much room to stand it up, and sorting would be a hassle I would think

Nissim Avrahami
06-27-2007, 11:27 PM
That's what the "Wood Doctor" - Gene Wengert is saying

http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_base/Wood_Storage_Vertical_or_horizontal.html

niki

Rick Gooden
06-27-2007, 11:32 PM
Here's the way I am doing it. Built this about 2 weeks ago to save space. So far I like it, so far no problems with the wood. Wood is up off of the floor, tilted back 4 degrees, divided by species, and standing up straight, and I believe it to be well supported. I'll know before long if this is a good system or not. My research said it was fine, about to find out by experience.

Irvin Cooper
06-27-2007, 11:41 PM
DM may say to store woods flat, but look at the background of his shop: all hardwoods standing on end....

ron holmbeg
12-14-2013, 6:54 PM
wow, old thread.. I store all my hardwoods vertically. So do the Japanese... as long as its dry :)

Jim Andrew
12-14-2013, 8:31 PM
sure hope vertical is good, as I've just gone through a lot of work to make some tall gable end spaces to store wood.

dan sherman
12-14-2013, 8:49 PM
Basically like others have said the wood needs to be supported and it needs to be dry. As long as those to things are covered, it doesn't mater how you store it. The dry part is where most people mess up vertical storage. Sitting directly on a concrete floor is a big no no.

Chris Fournier
12-14-2013, 11:18 PM
I have stored my lumber both ways and still do. My off site storage is a combo of flat and on end due to lumber length. In my shop with 16" ceilings I store the bulk of my lumber vertically, it is a delight to pick through lumber in this configuration. If you have any amount of lumber and it's stacked flat you have to move a mountain to get to the mole hill. Your space will dictae your storage scheme no doubt but my vote is for vertical.