PDA

View Full Version : 20 AMp Duplex Polarity

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-26-2007, 5:38 PM
Juast checking I haven't got an outlet in my hand but I think the below pic shows polarity

IZZAT RIGHT~!??

I said ground but I meant neutral.

Mark Hubler
06-26-2007, 5:52 PM
The picture is correct for polarity. Here is how I remember it: when the outlet is turned with the ground pin down (sort of a smiley face) the left blade is white or neutral.

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-26-2007, 6:12 PM
The picture is correct for polarity. Here is how I remember it: when the outlet is turned with the ground pin down (sort of a smiley face) the left blade is white or neutral.

Gracias.
The wide slot is also the T slot.

Jim Becker
06-26-2007, 7:46 PM
Gold screw = Hot
Silver screw = Neutral
Green screw = Ground

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-27-2007, 10:41 AM
Gold screw = Hot
Silver screw = Neutral
Green screw = Ground

Yah I just didn't have one in my possession~!!

I just got two April Aire Dehumidifiers ( 90 pint and 150 pint capacity) and the BIG one has a 20 amp plug and I wanted to run it off a jerry rig while I am putting my electrical shopping list together. ERGO the question.

Which raises a question - - - - -
Should I use # 10 or #12 wire for the the thing??
The installation manual says it's a 14 amp unit that wants 120 VAC.

I'm a tad stumped at the Manufacturer's insistence that they both have their own dedicated circuit.
What's there to it: a Pump a blower and a RH sensor? This isn't sensitive electronics.

They do work and they work well I gotta give 'em that. However I suspect that they were poorly engineered because it's my opinion that high speed airflow is less likely to produce maximum water removal passing across cold coils than slower moving air and they move the air FAST~!!

In injection molding when you want more cooling of a water cooled mold core you don't step up water flow - - - you slow it down by closing the out bound valve just a tad. That raises the pressure and slows the flow rate of water inside the mold. This gives the water more time to effect a heat transfer.
Water is a phase change material and thusly the addition or extraction of energy is not linear at all.

I think they could have made the dehumidifiers more efficient by slowing the fan speed or better yet - by putting the fan on the input end (instead of the output end) and adding a choke on the output to attenuate the air flow and raise the air pressure where the air contacts the coils. .

Rick Potter
06-27-2007, 11:00 AM
That's the way I remember it.

Rick.

Jim Becker
06-27-2007, 11:30 AM
Typically, you want #12 wire for a 20 amp circuit which you need if you are going to put a 20 amp outlet for the device.

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-27-2007, 1:54 PM
Typically, you want #12 wire for a 20 amp circuit which you need if you are going to put a 20 amp outlet for the device.
Yah that's what I thought. However I had been running the thing on my jerry rigged extension for a while and when I went down there a little while ago I noticed that the gerry rigged extension cord I had run for it (made from #12 Romex) had got warm at the connection points so I bought some #10 to make the run. What the heck. Can't hurt and it's only money.

Jim Becker
06-27-2007, 2:24 PM
There is no harm in using #10, Cliff. It's not required and a little harder to terminate, but just fine to use.

Von Bickley
06-27-2007, 2:30 PM
Gold screw = Hot
Silver screw = Neutral
Green screw = Ground

Jim's information is correct as usual.
For polarized plugs, the short slot in the receptacle is hot. :) :) :)

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-27-2007, 6:14 PM
There is no harm in using #10, Cliff. It's not required and a little harder to terminate, but just fine to use.

Ohh I'll just wave my 12 guage short barrel at it and pull da trigger.
Dat'll termminate it plenty good.

I'm going to give it's own circuit.