PDA

View Full Version : Small wood gloat

Bob Weisner
01-13-2004, 6:25 PM
Hi:

I got a call today from my local sawmill where I have been buying my hardwood lumber for the past few years. The owner said he was cleaning out the hayloft where he has his lumber stored and wanted to know if I wanted any of the old lumber that he had stored up there that his father had sawed years ago. I said I would come over and take a look. So, in 17 Degree weather I go over to the sawmill to check out the lumber. I get there and the owner has the little stack of lumber waiting for me. I found out that some of the lumber was cut 30 years ago , but is in great shape!! I looked over all the lumber and said that I would take the whole stack. The boards are not long pieces, only 2-5 feet in length, but alot of the boards are over 13 inches wide! I ended up filling the 8 foot box on the pickup truck to the top! The wood is a mix of Butternut, maple, pine, red oak, white oak, poplar, cottonwood, Black walnut, Cherry,elm, and some curly ash. I asked him what was the cost? He said nothing!!! :D It was a mix of 4/4 & 8/4. Turned out to be a good day!!!

Thanks,

Bob

Mark Bachler
01-13-2004, 7:48 PM
One mans trash, another mans treasure. Congrats on the find!!

Todd Burch
01-13-2004, 8:22 PM
I don't even know what 17° would feel like, and I can't imagine it either. I was born and grew up in Alaska, but that was a lonngggg time ago.

Sounds like some nice wood. Hopefully, you can gather enough of one kind to do something sizeable with, maybe a trunk or an end table. There's always picture frames, small boxes, accent pieces, drawer fronts and face frames too. Congrats!

Ron Jones near Indy
01-13-2004, 8:32 PM
You know we all would like to get a call like that one. Congrats!!!!! :D

Wes Bischel
01-13-2004, 8:37 PM
Bob, you must be a good customer especially since they called you!
Well, that should be enough to keep you busy for the next few months.
Lucky duck!

Wes

Bob Weisner
01-13-2004, 9:39 PM
I don't even know what 17° would feel like, and I can't imagine it either. I was born and grew up in Alaska, but that was a lonngggg time ago.

Sounds like some nice wood. Hopefully, you can gather enough of one kind to do something sizeable with, maybe a trunk or an end table. There's always picture frames, small boxes, accent pieces, drawer fronts and face frames too. Congrats!

Todd: 17 Degrees today was warm compared what the temperature has been for the past few days!! I live in a valley and the temperature can get VERY COLD . It's been down to 18 degrees below zero on friday night and it's been as cold as -25 degrees some nights.

As for the wood, I planed 2 of the walnut boards up just to see how good they were. They planed up real good and have a nice grain to them . Should make for some nice humidors or drawer fronts.

Thanks,

Bob

Todd Burch
01-13-2004, 9:42 PM
Bob, do yourself a favor.

MOVE!

Bob Weisner
01-13-2004, 9:56 PM
Bob, you must be a good customer especially since they called you!
Well, that should be enough to keep you busy for the next few months.
Lucky duck!

Wes

Wes: I guess it's because I have been a woodturner for almost 20 years and have been getting my wood mostly from him that I was able to have first chance at the lumber :) Another example of how good this sawmill is, would be when I was looking for some thick turning stock and the owner of the sawmill pulled out 5 4 inch thick planks of Black Walnut that he had air dried for five years. The planks were 4 inches thick x 17.5 to 18.5 inches wide x 7 feet long . Don't know how much each plank weighed, but it took 2 men to lift the planks into the truck bed. Oh, and the price, $50.00 each!!! I think I did ok.

Thanks,

Bob

Fred Voorhees
01-19-2004, 7:08 PM
Nice haul! I am still waiting for that kind of call from my local rough lumber supplier. Lots of small projects can come out of such a deal. Nice supply for small Christmas gifts.

Fred

Scott Coffelt
01-20-2004, 10:22 AM
from some of that wood. Don't you?