PDA

View Full Version : Monster hollowing tool

Matt Haus
06-26-2007, 4:18 PM
Hey guys,

Recently I got the monster rig and thought I would say a few things. First, Randy Privett is a good guy to work with and he sells a good product. It's a real sturdy unit and I was able to get the thickness of my HF to 3/16 of an inch with the device. I probably could never get it that good by hand consistent through the HF without it. It has really upped the level of quality of the work. I am glad I got the setup and for those who have a hollowing system, you really know how much better it is on the back and shoulders.

One last thing, Randy goes above on the workmanship. I have a 3520B. Can you tell which one is mine?

Steve Schlumpf
06-26-2007, 4:26 PM
Looks great Matt! I've only started checking into captured hollowing systems and so far the monster seems to be the way to go. If you have the time - how about a few pics showing it all set up and also a few comments about use. Thanks.

Keith Burns
06-26-2007, 5:03 PM
Great gloat Matt !! You are right, Randy is first rate all the way !!

Bill Wyko
06-26-2007, 7:01 PM
Nice, very nice. How about a pic of the piece you made using it.:D Looks like a good quality tool. got any pics of it mounted on the lathe?

Bernie Weishapl
06-26-2007, 7:15 PM
Great gloat Matt. You are right. Randy goes above and beyond on service. He is great to deal with and has a awesome product. I love mine and my HF's have improved also.

Matt Haus
06-26-2007, 8:01 PM
Here you go.

I have one that is in the works. I may post it later.

Jim Becker
06-26-2007, 8:05 PM
Looks like a very nicely made unit! Of course, in that color, you'll never be able to tell if it's actually on your lathe or not... :)

Don Eddard
06-26-2007, 8:29 PM
I'm a big fan of the Monster hollowing rig myself. Randy makes great products.

Dave Wimmer
06-27-2007, 8:00 AM
I'm a big fan of the Monster hollowing rig myself. Randy makes great products.
X2! The quality of Randy's stuff is outstanding.

Steve Trauthwein
06-27-2007, 8:05 AM
Nice looking rig! The way my shoulders are, I am going to be in the market for some assistance in this department.

As to monster tools, my experience was a little bit different. I bought a tool rest for my PM this year that was sent expeditiously and was an absolutely beautiful tool, but when I tried to insert it, it would not go. I mic'd the upright and found it to be .001 under the size of the 1" hole. I sanded and used steel wool for an hour or so to get the slide fit needed. As any machinist will know a .001 fit is a press fit and not conducive to moving an obect.

I emailed Randy with my disappointment in the fit thinking I would get a "sorry about that" , or maybe a "take care of shipping on the next order" or something to soothe my ire. No response.

Regards, Steve

Matt Haus
06-27-2007, 11:04 AM
No response.

Regards, Steve

Steve,

I would try again. He seems like he backs his products pretty well. I have given him a chance to sell me something else and he suggested that I wait and see how what I have works out, so he didn't try to take me but I guess individual experiences may vary.

Dario Octaviano
06-27-2007, 11:19 AM
I bought the Monster Hollowing system as well and I am extremely pleased with the transaction and the product. I communicated with Randy before, during and after the sale and had a pleasureable experience.

I only wish I can use it more.

Randy Privett
06-27-2007, 11:37 AM
Nice looking rig! The way my shoulders are, I am going to be in the market for some assistance in this department.

As to monster tools, my experience was a little bit different. I bought a tool rest for my PM this year that was sent expeditiously and was an absolutely beautiful tool, but when I tried to insert it, it would not go. I mic'd the upright and found it to be .001 under the size of the 1" hole. I sanded and used steel wool for an hour or so to get the slide fit needed. As any machinist will know a .001 fit is a press fit and not conducive to moving an obect.

I emailed Randy with my disappointment in the fit thinking I would get a "sorry about that" , or maybe a "take care of shipping on the next order" or something to soothe my ire. No response.

Regards, Steve

Steve,

After reading this, I went back through your email file to find the email that you had sent me. I guess that it was deleted by mistake. Let me assure you that I try to go the extra mile for all my customers to insure that they are happy with my products, as many of the forum will attest to. If I had seen your email I would have answered you. If I understand what your saying, is that the stem on the tool rest was .001 undersize. Which is normal. The banjo tolerance should be; 1.000 +.002-.000, in this case the tool rest should have fit.
I'm sorry that you have had a bad experience with my company, but if it will make you feel better, the next time you order something, the shipping will be free.

Thanks.

Randy Privett

Steve Trauthwein
06-29-2007, 8:06 AM
Randy,

Thanks for your response. I am sorry I put this on the public forum without sending you another email. I just assumed (there is that word) you were to busy to respond.

I guess I have the odd man out in that my banjo is dead bang on 1.000. I was very please with the tool overall, though I find I am not a fan of the round tool rest. When I get ready for my hollowing system I will let you know.

Free shipping is not an issue just something I threw in the email to finish a sentence. Once again thank you for your response.

Regards, Steve