PDA

View Full Version : McNaughton and Mustard--Question

Mark Pruitt
06-26-2007, 9:26 AM
It's time to order a McNaughton coring system. I've heard that the post is not long enough to set the height properly on a PM 3520. Is there any truth to this or is it an "urban legend" that was ill-informed? Kelton's website makes no mention of this, neither does LV or CSUSA.

If there is a special "long" tool post that I need to Mustardize this tool I would appreciate hearing about it before I order something only to find I can't use it.

Also, CSUSA appears to have the best deals. $399 for a standard/large combo set. Anyone found a better deal?

Christopher K. Hartley
06-26-2007, 10:11 AM
It's time to order a McNaughton coring system. I've heard that the post is not long enough to set the height properly on a PM 3520. Is there any truth to this or is it an "urban legend" that was ill-informed? Kelton's website makes no mention of this, neither does LV or CSUSA.

If there is a special "long" tool post that I need to Mustardize this tool I would appreciate hearing about it before I order something only to find I can't use it.

Also, CSUSA appears to have the best deals. $399 for a standard/large combo set. Anyone found a better deal?Email Kel in Australia. You can get the address from his site. If the size won't work he can build a custom job for you. He did this on my Kelton Hollowing System. It takes a little extra time and you still have to order through a distributor but Kel will give you the scoop.:)

Mike Vickery
06-26-2007, 11:07 AM
Call CSU they have longer posts for the bigger lathes. They gave me the longer post at no charge.

Dario Octaviano
06-26-2007, 11:20 AM
Like Mike, I also got mine from CSUSA. They provided the longer post for my PM3520B no charge.

It may take a little longer if they don't have it in stock but mine was available when I ordered.

Reed Gray
06-26-2007, 11:54 AM
Yes, they will send you a post to fit your lathe. I found out that the banjo on the PM 3520B lathe sits about 1/8 inch higher than on the A model. For what it is worth, I almost never use the large set of blades on my PM. Main reason being that I seldom turn bowls that large because it is more of a specialty market. The medium set can core up to about 14 inches. I also use the mini set a lot, even though I don't turn many dainty things.

My DVD on using the McNaughton was going to be out by Portland, but I wasn't able to get it by then. I will be reshooting in August, and have it out by summers end. It is amazing how different things look on camera than they do in real life.

robo hippy

Mark Pruitt
06-26-2007, 11:56 AM
Thanks guys, I just spoke with tech support (Scott) at CS and he's taking care of it! He doesn't have the longer post in stock but said it will take only a couple of days. I ordered a set of Tower Jaws for my Talon too; I figure the McN will make me appreciate having them.

I guess this qualifies as a pre-gloat!:D

Mark Pruitt
07-03-2007, 10:35 PM
The UPS guy put this coring rig on my porch today!
Too bad I don't have the day off tomorrow. I'll have to wait for the weekend to get this fella dirty!

Bernie Weishapl
07-03-2007, 11:06 PM
Great gloat Mark. Let me know how it works. I have been looking at one myself. Just need to find out if the Nova DVR can pull it.

Martin Braun
07-04-2007, 12:26 AM
Sounds like Craft Supplies took care of you. Greg Jenson, the North America rep for McNaughton can also get one for folks who don't happen to purchase from Craft Supplies.

Christopher K. Hartley
07-04-2007, 8:02 AM
Congrats Mark:cool: Looks like a lot of fun is in store for you:)

Jim Sample
07-04-2007, 9:24 AM
Congradulations, Mark, you will enjoy using the coring setup on the good woods, saving a bunch of saw dust/shavings. I've had one for a year , since Louisville last summer with the long post for my 3520B.

Now, Randy Privett at Monster tools makes a clamp for his laser light that fits this McNaughton handle making it double duty. The light follows the tip in the coring process.

Good luck

Jm Sample

Mark Pruitt
07-04-2007, 9:53 AM
Congradulations, Mark, you will enjoy using the coring setup on the good woods, saving a bunch of saw dust/shavings. I've had one for a year , since Louisville last summer with the long post for my 3520B.

Now, Randy Privett at Monster tools makes a clamp for his laser light that fits this McNaughton handle making it double duty. The light follows the tip in the coring process.

Good luck

Jm Sample
Jim,
That's good to know. I bought a Monster from Randy earlier this year. It may be that the clamp is all I need to make my laser work on the McN. I'll contact Randy about this. Thanks for the heads up!:)
Mark

Reed Gray
07-04-2007, 11:41 AM
I have the laser pointer that McNaughton makes, and love it. Over years of using the McNaughton, I developed the habit of aiming shallow to keep from making lampshades. The laser hasn't improved my aim, but at least I know when I am off track and need to correct. Now I can aim for the perfect core every time. I did modify it by having it welded to the handle, rather than having it bolt on using the same set screws that hold the blade on.
robo hippy

Steve Schlumpf
07-04-2007, 12:11 PM
Looks like quite the system Mark! When you have the time - let us know what you think of it, ease of use, etc. Thanks!

Mark Pruitt
07-05-2007, 12:03 PM
To those who have seen the Mahoney DVD on using the McN, is it worth the $25? Or is it something I'll just watch once or twice and stick it on the shelf? If the latter, I can probably do without it. But if there's enough content that I'll likely continue to go back to it, I may consider it. I'd like some opinions first though.

Ray klosek
07-05-2007, 12:43 PM
Don't waste your money, I thought it would show how to set up the tool. It doesnt. The only way to learn to use it is to use it, use it .... and adjust as you go.

Martin Braun
07-05-2007, 10:34 PM
I found it pretty helpful. But I just borrowed it from my local woodturning club. So I guess my answers are yes, and yes. Ray is right, in that without a laser guide you kind of have to gain experience in knowing where the blade is traveling once the tip is out of sight. That really can't be taught. You'll make a few lamp shades now & then, and then they'll become fewer & fewer - at least that's what happened to me ;-).

Dario Octaviano
07-05-2007, 10:42 PM
To those who have seen the Mahoney DVD on using the McN, is it worth the $25? Or is it something I'll just watch once or twice and stick it on the shelf? If the latter, I can probably do without it. But if there's enough content that I'll likely continue to go back to it, I may consider it. I'd like some opinions first though.

Mark,

If you have enough wood you can afford to waste for practice you might not need the DVD as much.

IF you buy exotic woods and intend to use the MCN Coring system on those...Mahoney's DVD is a great bargain. It will help you understand how the system works and prevent some of the pitfalls. I've seen it and IMHO it is well worth the price.

I am a bit confused about Ray Klosek's post...since in my recollection, Mahoney did show how to set up the system on the one I watched (unless he made several versions of it).

Reed Gray
07-06-2007, 10:36 AM
I have been using the McNaughton laser pointer for about 6 months and love it. I didn't like the way it mounted (using the same set screws that hold the blade on) so I had it welded to the bar. Over years of using the McNaughton, I developed the habit of aiming a bit shallow. It is hard to take a perfect core every time, and the lampshades are discouraging. Now I can aim for the perfect core (one that leaves the bottom of the bowl you are coring at 1/2 inch thick) every time. If I am off on my aim, I can see it and correct before going through the bottom.
robo hippy

Mark Pruitt
07-06-2007, 1:33 PM
Guys, I think you're telling me enough that I can wing it w/o the video. I'm hearing enough similarities in your responses that I think maybe I can stay out of trouble. (Me, out of trouble. Now THAT would be a first.):p

Besides, I would rather have had Reed's video and it ain't done yet!:)

Martin Braun
07-06-2007, 4:33 PM
Check out some of the online discussions/demos if you don't get the DVD. Bill Grumbine has a nice photo demo on his website. There are a few other discussions out there on the topic as well. The key points for me have been to always be sure the tip of the tool is centered with the blank when fully extended. Never push down on the handle. Lastly, don't be afraid to cut a little extra kerf that funnels the chips out. That's what has helped me.