PDA

View Full Version : Spindle Taps

Chris Jenkins
06-26-2007, 9:12 AM
I saw Lee Valley carries spindle taps for lathes. I understand the concept of drilling the back of a blank and then tapping it to match the threading on the headstock of the lathe, but what is the practicality of using them?

It seems that you have to drill as deep as you would drill in lags on a faceplate?

Can anyone give me a little insight in to the advantages of something like this?

Thanks,

Chris

Kurt Whitley
06-26-2007, 9:34 AM
Others who have actually used theirs will be along soon enough, but I bought mine primarily to use for making vacuum chucks. Haven't had the chance to use them yet (I'd rather turn than make jigs in my spare time, but eventually I will have a special piece which will drive me to get the vacuum system going on my Nova 3000 - which came with a shopvac vacuum adapter).

Cheers,
Kurt

I saw Lee Valley carries spindle taps for lathes. I understand the concept of drilling the back of a blank and then tapping it to match the threading on the headstock of the lathe, but what is the practicality of using them?

It seems that you have to drill as deep as you would drill in lags on a faceplate?

Can anyone give me a little insight in to the advantages of something like this?

Thanks,

Chris

Stuart Johnson
06-26-2007, 10:56 AM
I bought one to make up glue blocks. Other than one test block I haven't really used it yet. I did mind with my Nova 3K I have to use a plastic washer to prevent the glue block from tightening up and stopping the spindle from turning. Like I said I've only run one test so it might be something I did.

Mike Vickery
06-26-2007, 11:05 AM
As the the other have kind of said they are usually used to make jigs for the lathe not for mounting blanks.

Clem Wixted
06-26-2007, 1:00 PM
Darrell is a pretty down to earth sort of person and he has some information on how and why he makes his own wooden faceplates.

Here's his instructions:

http://www.aroundthewoods.com/gblock.shtml#tip21

Clem

Thanks,

Chris

Chris Jenkins
06-26-2007, 8:46 PM
Thanks for the help. Looks like I don't need one of these just yet.