PDA

View Full Version : mile high spinny stuff...

Jeffrey Fusaro
06-26-2007, 9:00 AM
any recommendations for interesting people, places or things to see while in denver, co.?

we'll be taking our family vacation there, and spending some time with good friends.

any recommendations on "must see" stuff while we are there?

Kevin Beck
06-26-2007, 10:12 AM
You might search for similar questions. I think there was one in the last month or so.

My main office is in Boulder so I'm in the area at least twice per year.

My family and I have enjoyed the following:

Rocky Mountain National Park - Estes Park
Celestial Seasonings Tour - Boulder
Pearl Street Mall - Boulder
McGuckin Hardware Store - Boulder
Anheuser Busch Tour - Ft Collins
Flatirons - Boulder

There is also a Coor's brewery tour in Golden.

If you have the time you might want to check out Colorado Springs as well. The Air Force Academy, Garden of the Gods, Pikes Peak, ANA Money Museum, etc.

I've never been to a more beautiful place than Colorado. I could and would live there (and I'm a 4th generation Floridian) but I don't think the LOML would tolerate the cold weather.

Kevin

Jeffrey Fusaro
06-26-2007, 1:16 PM
thanks, kevin!

i appreciate the info.

i was able to find the other thread on this and got some other ideas there, as well.

we'll be traveling with our two daughters - five years and 20 months. when you were there, did the altitude have any adverse affects on you or your family?

Rex Guinn
06-26-2007, 1:59 PM
Jeffrey We moved from Longmont to Lexington in 1986 been back almost every year. Kevin's items were great. If you have time, Drive from Denver to Boulder, then to Lions and up to Estes Park up thru Rocky Mountain National Park and on over to the western slope. Then back south to Winter Park, up over Berthoud Pass and back down the Eastern side to Golden and Denver.
It's a nice day long drive. Don't forget to take your Camera. Enjoy!

Kevin Beck
06-26-2007, 2:27 PM
thanks, kevin!

i appreciate the info.

i was able to find the other thread on this and got some other ideas there, as well.

we'll be traveling with our two daughters - five years and 20 months. when you were there, did the altitude have any adverse affects on you or your family?

Glad I could help.

The altitude didn't bother my kids very much. My oldest (16 at the time) did stay inside when we went to the top of Pikes Peak. He has asthma and just doesn't cope well with less oxygen. My other kids (14 and 6) had no problems.

I'm in fairly decent shape for an overweight, over-the-hill, desk jockey (lift weights, walk regularly, play basketball, etc.) but I did have to stop and catch my breath a lot in RMNP and at Pikes Peak. I've been to RMNP in September when the temperature in Boulder was 70 and RMNP was around 40 so be prepared for cooler temps at that altitude.

I always have a headache the first few days I'm in Boulder. I don't know if it's the altitude, the lack of humidity, or some other factor but I always get them. The headaches may be from staring at the beautiful scenery all day :D

Kevin

Jeff Bower
06-26-2007, 3:10 PM
I've been to RMNP in September when the temperature in Boulder was 70 and RMNP was around 40 so be prepared for cooler temps at that altitude.

I was in RMNP last July and it was 90 in Denver, we went over the pass in RMNP and it was sleating.....yes be sure to pack some warmer clothes if you go there. It's the most beautiful place I've ever been to.

Ron Ainge
06-26-2007, 3:10 PM
Jeffery

If you are in the Denver area on the 10th of July I would like to invite you to visit our wood turning club meeting. I am the treasurer for the club and would be happy to have you attend the meeting and also meet you in person. I don’t know if you visit this part of the world often but if you don’t I may also be able to find you some or our local woods to take home with you. Write me a private note if you want additional information.

Jeffrey Fusaro
06-27-2007, 11:03 PM
Jeffery

If you are in the Denver area on the 10th of July I would like to invite you to visit our wood turning club meeting. I am the treasurer for the club and would be happy to have you attend the meeting and also meet you in person. I don’t know if you visit this part of the world often but if you don’t I may also be able to find you some or our local woods to take home with you. Write me a private note if you want additional information.

ron--

pm sent.

Shane Whitlock
06-27-2007, 11:21 PM
Good thread with good info. Glad ya asked about it.
I am also taking my wife and two kids up there July 7 to spend a week with the inlaws. I have never been to Colorado so Im looking forward to it.

Happy Turning,
Shane Whitlock

Jude Kingery
06-27-2007, 11:37 PM
Jeffery & Shane, enjoy your trips; I'd say the guys have gotcha covered on all the great places (I was born and raised there) only thing I might add is the Denver Art Museum if you like that sort of thing, it's incredible. But everyone else has mentioned all the great scenic trips you can take and places to see! If you like less tourism stuff, try to get behind the front range and to somewhere like Glenwood Springs or Leadville, Telluride, Silverton-Durango - narrow gauge rail trip is pretty cool. You may not have time to travel that far into western CO, but those are also interesting places. Safe travels! Jude