PDA

View Full Version : SCORE!! - Phase Converter!

Todd Burch
01-13-2004, 3:55 PM
After recently ordering this 3-phase equipment, I needed a phase converter. I've been shopping, and there are a lot of different types to choose from and the "good" ones start at about about $2K.

I had spec'ed out a Kay Industries MA-2AX-VS (10HP, Remote control on/off, voltage regulation) for about $2735 or so. I called my buddy who I knew used to use one, and he his old MA-2 sitting on his shop floor, bought in 1997. These things are rated at 50,000 hours.

He said he would sell it, but he would have to have $750 for it.

SOLD!!

I'll look into adding the "VS" option to it. The VS option lets you use a small, like 3/4 HP motor, on this big 10HP converter without also having to turn the 10HP machine on. Todd.

Rob Littleton
01-13-2004, 4:09 PM
SCHWEEEEEEEEEEEET........

What a savings......$2K. That leaves room for other toys

congrats bud

Rob Russell
01-14-2004, 9:26 AM
Nice score! That's a few hundred more than I have in parts for my 15HP, home-built RPC - but you don't have to assemble the pieces (or understand it as thoroughly)!

Use part of the savings to buy a SquareD 3-phase subpanel to use for distributing power to your machines. You've got one 3-phase machine now, but having 3-phase, you can get others to add to your arsenal for cheaper than a single phase equivalent. The 3-phase panel allows your to provide proper overload protection for each machine.

It also gives you a place to wire in the Felder saw/shaper when you decide you need one of those. :D

Byron Trantham
01-14-2004, 9:34 AM
Hey Todd, I hope you have a good working relationship with your local power company. You'll need a hot line to them to let them know when you are going to turn this stuff on so they can bring another generator on-line to handle your shop! ;)

Don Farr
01-14-2004, 9:44 AM
That's great Todd. I'm glad you found yourself a good deal. :cool:

Glenn Clabo
01-14-2004, 10:24 AM
Hey Todd...
What are you going to do with the $2K you saved? It's like free money, eh?

Rob Russell
01-14-2004, 11:28 AM
Thought #2 on the subpanel ...

There is a wiring technique where you use the same 3-phase subpanel both as the source of power for your phase convertor and to distribute 3-phase power to your machinery.

Holler if that's something you want explained.

Rob